Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if other dealerships maybe were turning them back into the corporation.

In January 2020 when I was trying to get Nissan to honor my battery warranty I did learn that there was a lot of dealerships in trouble financially. 40% were losing money and 10% were at break even. Those were pre-pandemic figures.

Japan wants Nissan's home factories to keep full employment on the home front I gathered.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I saw that. Guessing Leaf isn't quite dead. Does anyone have a view as to current dealer inventory? I was surprised recently when one of our local Nissan dealers had 5 more Leafs show up, when they usually carry 1.
There's only 21 within 100 miles of me and there's usually triple that amount.

So a few months from lease end and talked with dealer about options.

Ariya is supposed to be bigger than the ID 4 according to him which was a shocker so that is out. Even if the Ariya was the same size, it would be out. ID4 is simply bigger than I want or need.

2022 LEAF no major changes but chip supply promises that price will not be good for a while

So was offered early termination of lease to a 2021 but S plus no longer has climate so no heated seats, etc. So SV Plus I can get $525 on zero down zero interest loan or buy my current S Plus for $19K plus whatevers.

As we know the EV market is overpriced right now but great deals abound in certain areas while they are not to found in others.

DaveinOlyWA said:
So SV Plus I can get $525 on zero down zero interest loan or buy my current S Plus for $19K plus whatevers.
Ain't leasing great ?
The dealer has you by the testicles and he is not letting go.

As for me, I've been thinking about replacing our LEAF but now that cars are crazy expensive I'll just sit tight until the parts shortage drama sorts itself out. No pressure, no worries.

Ain't leasing great ?

It has been for me. I'm driving an SV40 with Tech and Protection for zero down and $275 a month, for 4 years. An SV+ would have been $375. The dealership bought my leased SL for about $1500. The residual on the SV40 will be $14k and change.

Nissan cuts price of base Leaf 40 by about 15% in Norway starting in August, undercutting the other low cost evs.

https://www.raumnes.no/bil-og-motor/leaf-blir-norges-beste-elbilkjop/

I wonder if we will see the base Leaf go back under 30K USD here again.

I think Nissan is a bit stuck, as Ariya is delayed, they need an EV in market for many reasons, and the Leaf is only attractive as a value play. And that value play has a lower price point every year.

I do think that even in the US, a $25K Leaf (before fed tax credits and dealer discounts) could still sell relatively well in many markets.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer this question. One will purchase a new car because he wants to or needs it. Nissan is a reputable brand that is why it is popular, and leaf is a good car.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-pricing-strategy-finally-showing-results

While this doesn't mention the leaf it is an overview that looks more positive.

GaleHawkins said:
Could this be seen as Nissan giving up and dumping the inventory before the new fresher Chinese EVs arrive in Europe?

Probably just an acknowledgement that they could no longer get away with gouging the customer in that market.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Another 680 Leafs sold in Norway in June. Good for #5 for the month.

Do we know if Nissan is building any new Leaf. we know they're shut down in Smyrna Tennessee but what about UK and Japan?

GaleHawkins said:
Do we know if Nissan is building any new Leaf. we know they're shut down in Smyrna Tennessee but what about UK and Japan?
We do? Source? End of production or slowdown/temporary stoppage due to parts/chip shortage?

cwerdna said:
GaleHawkins said:
We do? Source? End of production or slowdown due to parts/chip shortage?

It may have been a plan shutdown for a few days that got extended due to chip shortage?

Has anyone seen any 2022 Leaf promotion materials?

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nissan-ariya-electric-suv-revealed-in-new-images-and-it-looks-stunning

I did find this from 24 days ago.

https://youtu.be/mfAw9Tlx_yQ

Ariya is not being mentioned in this UK Nissan talk. Is Nissan coming out with a new skateboard for their future EVs?

Maybe the Leaf will be on production for a few more years.

Actually let me see if I can answer this question from a couple directions. I just leased a 2021 Leaf SL Plus yesterday.
So why did I do this on June 30th when the 2022's are coming out soon? Why would I do this knowing the Arriya (sp?) is due soon?
Why would I do this when there is an incredible shortage of vehicles?
Well I was driving a '19 Frontier. I'm not wealthy. I just bought it a year ago and had equity in my last vehicle. Trucks are worth a mint right now and its equity would cover the down money on a lease. I just realized that it was costing me a fortune to drive it and I wasn't driving it as a truck just as a commuter.
As gas gets more expensive this is a realization more people are having. It happened to me after I did a fueleconomy.gov compare with my family fleet. When you see "You will spend $5000 in gas over five years". It makes you think about you drive. I'm an IT guy. So an EV has been on my mind for awhile but this isn't a new car intro. Let me stay on point.
So as gas gets more expensive once again this is going to draw more over again to hybrid/EV's. Since range anxiety is less of an issue once you break two hundred miles and especially two fifty. The Leaf Plus looks viable. I was in the market for a Bolt because it had a huge lease deal on the 2020. They are becoming really rare. Sure I could have gone to Hyundai with the Kona or Ioniq for the same price but they are far less known. I went with what was known.
So lets get to the next Leaf point "Why Leaf and not wait for the Arriya". Big one is price there. The Arriya looks like it will be more expensive. Also the Leaf has a reputation outside of people who have owned them. Sure when people think EV they might think Tesla but that has it's own issues. If you want reliability and dealerships there is really one answer. That's the Leaf. It's been around for a long time and I've never heard anyone complain about anything but range. Which is far less of an issue with the Plus.
Also with the big discounts the Leaf's go from being affordable to downright really affordable.
You know unless your dealership only has a really nice looking red SL Plus on the lot and you get all caught up in it. In which case you go from buying base everything to a model with every option you will never use because it eats up battery but again. Not a part of this thread.
Does that help?

Back