Seven year report, 2011 LEAF.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mgoleta said:
2011 LEAF SL, QC ,April 21,2011

Current mileage, 40.1K, 10/12 bars, only around town driving. Only L1 charging to 80% first 4 years, last 3+ years L1 charging to 100%, Never ended up using QC or L2.

The first set of tires wore out at 20K miles (3-1/2 years). Replaced at Costco ($470). These tires also lasted 20K mi, 3-1/2 years but they had 60K warranty. As a result Costco replaced all 4 tires for a net of $165.
Otherwise service costs have been quite minimal, total of 3 brake fluid changes, yearly battery check (first 2 years were free), tire rotation (free after getting Costco tires). Touch-up paint for small nicks and scratches, $26, 12V battery replacement after 7 years ($81 from Costco), yearly replacement of windshield wipers from Costco ($7).
Unplanned costs, $200, upgrade of telematics after ATT retirement of 1G service.
This year I had some intermittent operation of the backup camera caused by loose cable.

The car has been solid and reliable.

We just replaced the 2011 LEAF and our 2007 Prius with a 2018 Bolt Premiere and a 2018 LEAF S with winter package (ie. heated seats in both cars). Now we are a completely EV household. Gave up on our reservation for a Tesla M3 standard range after it became apparent that it would not be delivered until after the federal tax credit starts phasing out (2019 Q1 or 2019 Q2).

Total electricity costs for entire house net $120 over 7 years (monthly service charges minus energy buy back at end of each year). Total cost of original solar installation, $12.5K. Projected yearly cost going forward with 2 electric cars, $90/year for entire house.

Our original 2011 LEAF will continue on with one of our friends.

Thanks for the detailed report. It will be interesting to hear your take on the Bolt and 2018 Leaf since you will be driving both.

Paul

Here's my seven year anniversary report after charging to 100%:
2011 SL received 8/18/11. I'm the original owner. Paid MSRP (no other choice at the time).
9 bars, 47,754 mi, 75 miles on the GOM at full charge.
AHr 44.22, SOH 67%, Hx 46.43%, 85*F temp, 4.092 V, 96.4% SOC
Extrapolating LeafSpy data collected over the past four years, I'm anticipating 8-bars on May 1st, 2019 (7.75 years).

I'm still running on the original 12V battery, but have one new set of tires and windshield wipers. No other maintenance except wiper fluids (not even air filter or brake fluids, though I have contemplated doing those). Essentially all of my driving has been in-town at 25-45 mph except the occasional 5-10 mi jaunt at 60-75 mph and 3-4 trips out of town in 2012-2014. Seven years of perfect in-town driving. I love the zippiness and smaller size. The lack of regen in winter is annoying, but not hazardous. I've saved about $9000 in gasoline, and probably a few thousand in other maintenance costs. Certainly not enough savings to justify buying a new EV over my 25 yo ICE, but money was not my reason for getting an EV. Would I do it again? Absolutely, given the conditions in 2010-2011. Will I do it again today? Absolutely NOT. Nissan has lost my business due to lack of TMS and price gouging on the replacement battery costs. Their original statements were that new battery tech would be backward compatible and owners would be able to get the newest, highest capacity battery replacement at $5000 or $50/mo (or something like that), which is currently proving to be completely false. I highly doubt that Nissan will get my business again. On a positive note, finally after seven years, there are now DCQC stations in each of the three cities that make up our community, strategically-located about 15 mi from my house. This fact now means that my lowly 2011 Nissan Leaf will easily meet my in-town driving for another 10 years (at least).

• 96k miles
  • 12 bars (see sig)
  • 60 ~ mile range

Replaced under warranty
  • Onboard Charger (diode failure), Dec 2011
  • Traction battery

Other maintenance
  • Tires, 2 sets
  • 12 v battery
  • Rear brake pads

opencar said:
Cinnabar said:
My anniversary of delivery. I have 78k miles and it's going strong. i got lucky and slipped into the replacement battery just before Nissan decided to mess with other early adaptors and had an 80/20 cost share.

Given my luck with the battery replacement (and the seat extenders I bought shortly after taking delivery) I've been very happy with this car. I still have 12 bars on the new battery, nothing other the the 12V battery has failed (new tires from Costco and new wiper blades). It's been a low cost car to operate and I still use it for 95% of my driving.

I was pleased that Nissan did the right thing by me and others given the battery degradation, but also feel the let a lot of people down. Until they add an active thermal management system, I can't see me buying another LEAF.

Glad to see fellow original owners that still have their 2011s. i'm in the same situation as you w/ 78K mi. and using the Lizard replacement. Also still happy with the car's reliability and around-town utility. Despite all the dissapointment surrounding the lame battery longevity, I credit the LEAF with getting me excited about the technology and leading me to buy the Model 3 for my long distance road trips.

Still at it after 8 years. Anyone else?

8 years at the beginning of this month and still at it. Lost the first capacity bar with the new battery in July. Now at 173k miles. No new maintenance.

91040 said:
Hit seven years of ownership a month ago with 156k miles on the car. Full charge with the second traction battery is ~240 Gids. It hasn’t lost a capacity bar yet.

Significant repairs were replacing the traction battery, climate control fan and the failed diode in the onboard charger. Otherwise, it has been just the usual wear and tear items. Didn’t bother to update the telecommunication module. The struts will probably need to be replaced soon.

Adding the Brusa charger was and is crucial in having this car meet my driving needs.

We just sold our 2011 that we purchased new in December 2011. It had 67XXX miles on it and 10 of 12 bars remaining (original battery). The GOM put the range at 68 miles. We guess we could get about 60 miles on a 100% charge. It has been a very reliable car, never stranded us. New tires at 40 some thousand miles, they still have good tread. We are going to be purchasing a new 2019 Leaf in a couple of months.

Just crossed 100,000 miles on my Leaf after 8 +years, still 12 bars, 60.00 AH on the new battery (3 years old) got replaced on the last day of the 5 years warranty :D . Still can do 70-80 miles per charge depending on the speed, looks like there are at least another 50K miles to be put on :p

8.5 years for me, almost to the day.

81,100 total miles, with about 28k of that on the second battery pack, which currently has one bar gone.

Only maintenance since the battery pack replacement are new tires (3rd set since new) and I've got a feeling that brake pads are due fairly soon. I also have a bit of a clunk from the front end that I haven't investigated yet. Happens when taking off from a standing start, so it could be anything from motor mounts to ball joints. I'm probably at the point where I should consider going through the suspension anyway.

Only maintenance since new other than tires and the pack have been a front axle repair (under warranty) and a brake fluid flush I had done to protect the warranty on the braking system. Still on the original 12v battery, which is a source of amusement to me because I've always thought it was kind of weak. However, I do have more than my share of exterior door trim pieces that are more worse for wear than they really should be, but that's been an ongoing situation for quite a few years now.

There was a TSB for the clunk, something that had to do with applying grease the axle ends or the like. I had it done long time ago, no more clunk. Of course it can be dozen other things. I'm on my way to 8 years in September, 156k Miles, 66k miles on the replacement pack, 81.65% SOH, went up a bit with warmer weather, chances are I will be down to 10 bars by the end of the summer. Braking pads are at least 50% material left, I would think that at 81k miles your brake pads are almost as new.

8+ yrs, 85K mi, just lost 1st bar on the replacement battery. swapped out the 12V as a preventative measure at 6+ yrs. Started on my 3rd set of tires. Otherwise no outlay on any maintenance.

8+ years on mine with 9 bars left. About 32,000 mi. on the odometer. I put new tires on recently and just had the 12 volt battery replaced since the car wouldn't start. Other than that the only maintenance I've had done was one brake fluid flush and installation of the new telematics unit (which doesn't work - long story in another thread). I could probably get 45 miles or so at freeway speeds with climate control on, but for anything over 35 or so I take my wife's ICE.

9 years now, with 186k miles. 2 capacity bars down. It has hardly been driven since mid-March, due to a small piece of RNA. Struts are still fine.

91040 said:
8 years at the beginning of this month and still at it. Lost the first capacity bar with the new battery in July. Now at 173k miles. No new maintenance.

91040 said:
Hit seven years of ownership a month ago with 156k miles on the car. Full charge with the second traction battery is ~240 Gids. It hasn’t lost a capacity bar yet.

Significant repairs were replacing the traction battery, climate control fan and the failed diode in the onboard charger. Otherwise, it has been just the usual wear and tear items. Didn’t bother to update the telecommunication module. The struts will probably need to be replaced soon.

Adding the Brusa charger was and is crucial in having this car meet my driving needs.

9-yrs in
112,777 mi
60 to 65 miles, current range
11 Bars

Heater is busted.
12v adapter too.
3rd set of tires
2nd 12v battery
More in .sig

Awesome car otherwise. Still drives like day 1.

I’ll pile on here since everybody seems to be updating here. I’m at 9yrs, 2mo. I just charged to 100% for the first time in months. I’m still on the original traction and lead acid batteries.
56,819 mi, 8-bars, 40.41 AHr, 61% SOH, 40.18 Hx, 4.072 V avg, 96.0% SOC on LeafSpy.

I drove 50mi today to LBW, some low speed highway but mostly in town at 35-40 mph. I’m now on the 3rd set of tires (for winter) and windshield wipers but very little other maintenance except wiper fluid and one alignment. Nothing with brakes or fluids. Since this is entirely in-town, I’m not worried about getting stranded since I’m rarely more than a 5mi walking distance from home.

I trickle charge the original PbA battery weekly and hope to get another few years out of it. This has been amazing, I’ve never gotten more than 7 yrs on a battery.

Still an amazing LEAF (Leading Environmentally Friendly Family car) and doing exactly what it was designed for. No, it’s not a long-range cruiser but it’s still solid. Yes, I wish it was a 350mi EV with free supercharging, but it’s still great.

Sorry, I haven’t posted in years, and lost my original “reddy” login I’d, but life happens. I don’t really have much to contribute anymore and I probably won’t check or post again until 2026, if I still have the car.

Nothing new to report other than it is now over 10 years and 188k miles covered since getting the LEAF. Still am at 2 capacity bars down.
So it goes.

91040 said:
9 years now, with 186k miles. 2 capacity bars down. It has hardly been driven since mid-March, due to a small piece of RNA. Struts are still fine.

91040 said:

91040 said:

Almost 10 years in (original owner) but haven't even hit 90k miles yet, which is why I replaced/upgraded my battery pack (see sig). I'm getting ready to "pull the plug" on my TCU and go OVMS (which will eventually get me a 4G modem). I replaced the original (lead acid) 12v battery with a Lithium over 5 years ago (also see sig). I've been lucky with almost no maintenance except new tires; thinking about a reduction gear oil change.
I love this car!

2012 Leaf 2nd owner, the blue one has 104k miles 6 bars and B1018 Code - Passenger Seat sensor failed.
2012 Leaf 2nd owner, the silver one got fresh pack in 2017 so it's going strong but not on the original pack.

No cheap fixes for the blue car so I'll be looking to replace it soon.

Back