Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a smart move for Nissan. They've been offering $7500 cash back since May on 2021 models and hardly anybody noticed. At initial glance, MSRP is what people compare. If sticker price doesn't look attractive (and it didn't on the 2021 Leaf) then it's unlikely they will dig deeper to find the surprisingly deep discounts.

Looking on Nissanusa.com I see there's still $3000 cashback for 2022. I'm surprised Nissan left the cashback in play at all. They could have dropped prices another $3000 and shocked the world.

The fact that the article completely fails to mention the cashback is a great illustration. The supposed expert writing the article is clueless that he's comparing apples to oranges and that he's still underselling the Leaf value proposition by thousands.

For an S+ the net price is $1370 lower for 2022. No clue if dealers will discount it further, but with the tax credit that puts the S+ at a net price of $21,900 (plus $950 destination, plus probably $2000 in sales taxes and fees). Sheesh, that's a good deal!

That's a very smart move.

The design and the manufacturing line is already sunk cost so the batteries will be their main cost Factor. Plus they could earn some credits to help offset some of the gas cars.

GaleHawkins said:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37210246/2022-nissan-leaf-price/

Some things never die!

If it could wind up qualifying for a 12,500 tax rebate that would not be a bad deal if somebody wanted the old leaf technology.

Wasn't the tax changes taken out from the latest set of infrastructure bills? I lost track of what was in those, but I thought EV Charging plans stayed in but changes to tax credits were not in?

I saw a lease deal on a Leaf up in the bay area for $89/mo with like $600 due at signing for 10k miles. I'd do that in a heartbeat even in my warm climate down here in SoCal. Just can't find that deal down here yet.

Maybe cause its under 20k after rebate? https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-25819c9aeb4792ebec3d4ddceb020a39-2022-nissan-leaf-goes-on-sale-with-additional-standard-features-and-new-starting-msrp-of-27400

Right but why would get you get a 2021 right now? Well they will have to put some huge discounts on them. Yeah those new 2022 prices are pretty nice. It does make me feel like a bit of a schmuck for leasing my 2021 though.

danrjones said:
GaleHawkins said:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37210246/2022-nissan-leaf-price/

Some things never die!

If it could wind up qualifying for a 12,500 tax rebate that would not be a bad deal if somebody wanted the old leaf technology.

Wasn't the tax changes taken out from the latest set of infrastructure bills? I lost track of what was in those, but I thought EV Charging plans stayed in but changes to tax credits were not in?

I think during August they have to take a mandatory break.

Snargleblarg said:
This is a smart move for Nissan. They've been offering $7500 cash back since May on 2021 models and hardly anybody noticed. At initial glance, MSRP is what people compare. If sticker price doesn't look attractive (and it didn't on the 2021 Leaf) then it's unlikely they will dig deeper to find the surprisingly deep discounts.

Looking on Nissanusa.com I see there's still $3000 cashback for 2022. I'm surprised Nissan left the cashback in play at all. They could have dropped prices another $3000 and shocked the world.

The fact that the article completely fails to mention the cashback is a great illustration. The supposed expert writing the article is clueless that he's comparing apples to oranges and that he's still underselling the Leaf value proposition by thousands.

For an S+ the net price is $1370 lower for 2022. No clue if dealers will discount it further, but with the tax credit that puts the S+ at a net price of $21,900 (plus $950 destination, plus probably $2000 in sales taxes and fees). Sheesh, that's a good deal!

Have read a half dozen articles on the price cuts and yeah, MSRP is still king. Only a few even bother to mention that the S/S Plus now come with the old SV Tech package as STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

This means surround view, cross traffic alerts (standard on all 2021's so nothing new) blind spot warning, ACC, Pro Pilot, etc.

THE biggest news and 4 of 6 articles devoted ZERO WORDS to the change.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Have read a half dozen articles on the price cuts and yeah, MSRP is still king. Only a few even bother to mention that the S/S Plus now come with the old SV Tech package as STANDARD EQUIPMENT.
Give them credit for not getting it wrong.

Here are the details from the horse's mouth:
https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2022/2022-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Give them credit for not getting it wrong.

Here are the details from the horse's mouth:
https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2022/2022-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

Just illustrates why we have to read 6 articles :lol:

Given the choice, I would rather have the MSRP lower even with the same final price because the MSRP is used for property/excise tax calculations in some states.

Yogi62 said:
Given the choice, I would rather have the MSRP lower even with the same final price because the MSRP is used for property/excise tax calculations in some states.

And you won't have to listen to dealership idiots touting the $10k in discounts

I expect most Leaf owners realize the 2018 and beyond models are desirable battery dependability and driver assist wise. Would I consider a new 2022 Leaf? Yes.

Will Nissan be around doing warranty battery replacements in 2030? No may be the case for several current OEMs.

I think Nissan will have to find long-term success in China to thrive. If we can get the impact of COVID-19 behind us by 2026 it's going going to be too late for more and more businesses and people. China's vaccine is short on protection against the Delta virant we are reading today. Delta is ripping KY apart as I type as is the case around the world.

Having been struggling with Long Covid since January 2021 and being 70 has impacted my thoughts more about those I will be leaving behind sooner but hopefully much later. For the last two weeks it seems like the blood clots in my legs and the fragments that moved to both lungs are finally resolved letting me breath and walk without a struggle. Spending 45 hours in a heart ICU was the price of a new Model Y Tesla.

The chip shortage is robbing OEMs of the cash and time needed to move to designing and building EVs. GM is out of EV sales waiting on new batteries from LG Chem which limits other OEMs access to Lithium Ion batteries. The sky is not falling bit visablity is limited for Nissan and other OEMs.

GM probably still have BEVs and PHEVs for sale in places like China since they aren't Bolts.

Right now, there's a stop sale on all Bolts. HyunKia, when I last checked doesn't sell their BEVs much outside CARB states. If you're not in a CARB state + a handful of extras they sell in, those aren't a choice.

So, given there haven't been any battery fire recalls or any known Leaf fires caused by batteries, this might be a reason people might consider Leaf again.

5 answers to the question;

1. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
2. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
3. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
4. Very attractive pricing.
5. Zero routine maintenance.

joeriv said:
5 answers to the question;

1. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
2. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
3. Leaf EV battery does not self-combust.
4. Very attractive pricing.
5. Zero routine maintenance.

How about least expensive urban corridor runabout in terms of operating cost, available in every state?
How about very attractive tech package, especially for the price?

I can think of a half dozen more. I'm going to change my user name to "NotALeafHater"

If you include tax credit, only EV under 20K with over 100 miles of range. Only ev under 25K with over 200 miles of range.

With the Bolt out of the running for now, it's the undisputed value champ. Maybe Mini is a close second, but I don't think it's sold everywhere.

Back