Does 2021 Leaf actually offer V2X capabilities?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktm

Leaf Supporting Member
Interesting discussion with "Thomas" of customer "support" division of Nissan. When pressed about how to interpret the (attached) owner's manual section of V2X, the rep would only answer with a canned response that my vehicle does not support any V2X capabilities - and that it is experimental at this point.

I asked that this issue be escalated further to someone that can actually explain their (IMO contradictory) statements in the manual, he continually repeated that it had been escalated to himself and that my vehicle had no V2X capabilities - talking to a wall! :roll:

So, I'd guess that for us that have repeatedly been told that only a couple of (CHAdeMO) based vehicles are V2X enabled (Leaf and a Mitsubishi BEV), that this is false information - according to Nissan at least.

Leaf V2X ops manual 01.jpg

After attempting to solve my 2021 Leaf SV + connectivity problems and software gremlins, I’ve come to believe a Shoe Salesman has a better chance at fixing a Leaf than the no nothing Dealer network or Nissan Amerika. This forum and Facebook Leaf owners have given me better information, and unlike Nissan, the info is 24-7!

I guess the only way to really know at this point is to try it with one of those CHAdeMO to 120 volt AC boxes...

It's possible that US market versions have some slight hardware differences or that it's disabled for US models vs. software/firmware. It's been working in Japan for ages (e.g. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=597145#p597145).

Got this response in the past (a year or so back?)

The power control system used for “Leaf to Home” functionality, the EV Power Station, is manufactured by Nichicon Corporation. According to Nissan spokesperson Azusa Momose, Leaf customers in Japan do not purchase the EV Power Station from Nissan but can order the system at Nissan dealers. For now, U.S. Nissan dealers do not offer the product to Leaf customers.

Seperately I have heard of this company - Wallbox Quasar, for bi-directional DC charging

Being how it is direct connection to the battery, unless the Leaf shuts it off if current runs in reverse? I would say it's technically there, just not advertised as such. Just like using the 12 volt circuit to power inverters for your home.

There are already a nber of V2G trials in the US up and running with the Leaf, though all are fairly small scale. I am not sure which device they use (Quasar or otherwise). I am hoping it becomes an option here in Chicago.

V2X seems to be working in Japan w/ the Leaf:
https://tsubakimoto.com/other-products/elink/

It is interesting that this unit can generate 50 or 60 hertz. Japan has two power grids, one with each frequency, one for the north and one for the south.

We need a split phase system. This has two "hot" wires that are 180 degrees out of phase. Each hot wire is 120 volts with respect to ground and 240 volts from one hot wire to the other. I don't think Japan's system is like that.

I want an inverter that plugs into the CHAdeMO port and generates 240 volts spit phase at 60 hertz, up to 40 amps. In the event of a power failure, I would open the main breaker, unplug my charger, plug the inverter, then plug it into the CHAdeMO port. This could power every thing in my house except for the air conditioner. I have gas heat, hot water and a range, but they need electricity.

RNeil said:
I want an inverter that plugs into the CHAdeMO port and generates 240 volts spit phase at 60 hertz, up to 40 amps. In the event of a power failure, I would open the main breaker, unplug my charger, plug the inverter, then plug it into the CHAdeMO port. This could power every thing in my house except for the air conditioner. I have gas heat, hot water and a range, but they need electricity.

dcbel claims to be installing such a system in the Bay area currently. Claim to be installing a second unit in Texas early 2022. It is fully automated with what they call "blackout" emergency power and an innovative approach to the "transfer" device (grid disconnect). Hope they are successful and can meet all code requirements of US transmission companies.

So far no utility has signed on to V2X, and without them on board there is no market. There are a few trials going on, but nothing for wider commercial adoption.

OrientExpress said:
So far no utility has signed on to V2X, and without them on board there is no market. There are a few trials going on, but nothing for wider commercial adoption.

Is Nissan or the transmission providers the issue (or both?). NIssan has stated only approved "V2X" converters can be used under warranty. My local electrical cooperative will allow an "energy storage" solar system with backup energy (emergency) to be installed if all codes are met. How would they even know that the "battery" is a vehicle rather than a stationary (expensive and puny!) battery. My hope is that dcbel will provide such a system.

I could care less a about road-side "chargers" being V2X capable - the benefits of V2X (IMO!!!) is in DERs - home/neighborhood and business microgrids with personal and/or fleet EVs.

The utilities have always said that you should have a transfer switch that guaranties that you will not provide power to a line that the lineman expects to be deenergized. This applies to any power source, not just a battery. You would also have trouble if you attempt to provide power to the whole neighborhood. But a backup for your one house is doable.

OrientExpress said:

I actually received and responded to a survey last month from our local municipal electric utility in Colorado, asking what I would want from a V2X program, should they offer one. Questions included concerns about state of charge, cost and cost offset (being paid for feeding power back to the grid), and battery health and warranty. Because it is our local utility, I ran into a friend of a friend at an event this past weekend and asked them about where they were with V2X and learned they plan to start trialing hook-ups before the end of the year, first with city owned vehicles and then with customers, perhaps as early as Q1, 2022. The expectation is that the initial trial will be for V2X enabled chargers located at larger employers in the city, where vehicles would be plugged in during the day, allowing for grid load offset during peak use periods.

mallthus said:
The expectation is that the initial trial will be for V2X enabled chargers located at larger employers in the city, where vehicles would be plugged in during the day, allowing for grid load offset during peak use periods.

The opportunities that V2B and V2X brings to the table by installing microgrids with solar based energy generations are many.
  • Grid stabilization, i.e. offsets in usage during peak load times
  • Energy arbitrage - get $$'s for putting high priced energy back to the grid and buying at low costs
  • Smart charging algorithms that potentially enhance battery life
  • Enhanced resilience with buildings essentially becoming emergency centers with continuous power

Just to name a few!

Nice thread. If you are on this thread, you already know the benefits of redundant energy storage in our LEAFs. Yes, Japan already uses that capability. They are desperate because they are well north of 80% fossil fuels for their electricity. They are also motivated because of the earthquake of 2011. I emailed the engineer that manufactures their V2G (and thus V2X) inverter and they had no plans to introduce one outside of Japan. Maybe its cultural. Its a minor point anywah because there's numerous electrical engineers outside of Japan that could pull it off in a year or so.

Back in the USA, the evidence that the electric companies are the front line resistance is their noted procrastination to interconnect folks who have pulled all the permit and paid and completed a rooftop solar project. Finally MN fined Xcel $1M early this year for doing just that. Part of the $9000 point of sale CO rebate I received for my 19S was funded by Xcel. They figure they will be the new "gas" company. Paid for in part by not interconnecting people in a timely manor. Not so fast for me Ecel as 6 month later I shipped it to the Big Island of Hawaii where I already installed a 16kw rooftop system with batteries because electricity is $0.38/kwh.

Technology is changing too fast for electric companies to survive looking like they look today. They need to be in the energy storage business as much as they already are in the energy creation and transfer business. Make more 2 lake processes, add compressed air or concrete flywheels storage processes which are quite renewable options without any chemistry hassle.

Redundancy is a wonderful thing. Musk said they don't have reverse charging capability but after a tear down of one his vehicles they found that it did and not only that it had 3 redundant circuits so when he pulls the trigger he's ready. With grid-tied rooftop and batteries, I have redundant electricity, I would love for my LEAF aka battery-wall-on-wheels to be a redundant storage for the house. I'm still waiting. I thought Musk would be first but he's probably having too much fun with the space race. Solaredge looks promising. It wont be Outback (my inverter systems) as they are old school. Maybe Midnite or Schneider. I wanted to hook up my LEAF directly to Midnite's big charge controller to step down the voltage and directly DC to DC feed the inverter but they said "no, no, no and it will go 'bang'" I don't understand but I believe and trust them. In HI with 8 5kWh LFP batteries, I don't "need" storage redundancy but I still "want" to add my 40kWh LEAF to it.

V2X is going to be great when we get it. Its only a matter of when.

Back