Pondering 22 Leaf SL+

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK, there are no changes being considered for the 2021 tax year.

As such, there is no 'point of sale' rebate for the federal tax credit. If your tax liability for 2021 is $7500 or more you can claim the $7500 credit for 2021. If your tax liability is $15000 or more for 2021 and you buy 2 EVs you can claim $15000 ($7500 for each EV). If your tax liability is less than this you can only claim that amount (eg you buy 1 EV, own $6000 for fed taxes in 2021, you can claim $6000). All of this occurs when you file your 2021 taxes in 2022, not before.

What will happen in 2022 is anyone's guess at this point.

We should probably discuss upcoming Federal EV tax credit changes and guesses on that in another thread. I personally haven't been monitoring as it seems like it's a moving target and who knows what will happen?

If you have a convenient way to add more tax liability such as rolling over a portion of your traditional 401k/IRA to a Roth, then you won't be "losing out" on all the EV credit. Yes, for another thread. :D

The leases at the end of 2020 were too good to pass up. Not sure that will be the case in December 2021, since Leafs are flying off the lots near me instead of 10+ sitting for weeks.

cwerdna said:
We should probably discuss upcoming Federal EV tax credit changes and guesses on that in another thread. I personally haven't been monitoring as it seems like it's a moving target and who knows what will happen?

While I appreciate you offering to keep the thread on topic, I'm happy to discuss the current and future tax credit strategies since its a critical factor in my purchase decision.

The accelerator mapping was changed after 2019 (probably 2021). My 2019 SL+ is fine, but the 2021 SL+ that I tested was sluggish compared to mine. The navigation system in the Plus allows for map updates via WiFi. I have updated my maps a couple of times by connecting to my WiFi and internet at my workshop. It is a slow process if you don't have a high speed internet connection.

The accelerator mapping was changed after 2019 (probably 2021).

I have the means to answer the question of exactly what year the change occurred sitting in the driveway outside. My housemate leases a 2020 SV+. Assuming that the extra HP the Plus generates only arrives after a few seconds of the accelerator being floored, as I've read, I should be able to compare it to my 2021 SV40. Maybe this week. The good news is that I've finally (but noting that my car still only has about 450 miles on it!) gotten used to the new mapping, and I can put it in Eco again - I just automatically stomp harder on the pedal now. On a related note, my housemate, who hates powerful cars, now often just leaves mine in D mode when she uses it.

I kind of wish I had pulled the trigger in that Blue 2022 S+, to upgrade from our 2019. The 3k incentive is long gone now, and doubt we will see any more msrp discounts anytime soon.

Indeed. https://www.choosenissan.com/ shows basically nothing in terms of incentives or deals for the SF Bay Area. And, inventory seems very light.

https://www.nissanusa.com/shopping-tools/search-inventory shows way more than seem to exist. My local dealer (who I'd rather not do business w/their sales dept) supposedly has a bunch per that tool. But, when you go to the dealer's site, it shows no Leafs at all.

For kicks, I checked a dealer south of me and they show only 19 new vehicles in their new inventory w/0 being Leafs.

https://www.boardwalknissan.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=LEAF shows 1 Leaf with a goofy price. https://www.dublinnissan.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Nissan&model=LEAF is most promising (?) but the '21's are goofy since they have much higher MSRPs than '22s.

The Leaf production pause earlier at Smyrna and later, all production pausing at Smyrna sure didn't help things.

My local dealer (who I'd rather not do business w/their sales dept) supposedly has a bunch per that tool. But, when you go to the dealer's site, it shows no Leafs at all.

Car dealers are notorious for not updating the stock on their websites often enough. I strongly suggest that you call or email them, asking for a list of Leafs on site and ready to sell.

2022 Inventory seems to be picking up. No shortage of Leafs near me but they took away the incentives which makes it easier for me to wait until first of the year.

I walked around a local dealer's lot today. Zero new Leafs to be seen. There were 4-5 2018-2019 used units but their listed prices were really high. The car that interested me was a 2019 SV with 8,124 miles on it (and some scratches on the rear quarter panel) and they're asking $25,999. I didn't want to start the 'Sales Dance' with a salesperson so I don't know how firm that price is.

The place was deserted, though the rainy weather might have had something to do with that.

HIOJim said:
I walked around a local dealer's lot today. Zero new Leafs to be seen. There were 4-5 2018-2019 used units but their listed prices were really high. The car that interested me was a 2019 SV with 8,124 miles on it (and some scratches on the rear quarter panel) and they're asking $25,999. I didn't want to start the 'Sales Dance' with a salesperson so I don't know how firm that price is.

The place was deserted, though the rainy weather might have had something to do with that.
That's nuts. And, yes, w/the used car shortage, even used Leafs seem overpriced even at Manheim auctions esp. given the '22 Leaf MSRP drop. See my post at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=611713#p611713.

In theory, a new '22 SV non-Plus at MSRP of $28.800 + $975 dest charge - $7500 Federal tax credit is $22,275. MSRPs are at pricing tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit. Sure, in most states due to sale tax, the new $ costs more in sales tax but ummm... there's still the tax credit.

And, there's also when the warranty clock started on a used '19...

New and used Leaf inventory seems very thin in the SF Bay Area.

If I were shopping for a used Gen II Leaf right now, I'd take a different tack from arguing about lowering the price. I'd instead tell them to throw in the Gold Preferred warranty to essentially extend 90% of the factory warranty for 2-3 more years. It doesn't cost them anywhere near what it costs the buyer, so they have a lot of flexibility there.

Then, when a deal seemed likely, I'd offer $500 less than the listed price.

cwerdna said:
HIOJim said:

That's nuts. And, yes, w/the used car shortage, even used Leafs seem overpriced even at Manheim auctions esp. given the '22 Leaf MSRP drop. See my post at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=611713#p611713.

In theory, a new '22 SV non-Plus at MSRP of $28.800 + $975 dest charge - $7500 Federal tax credit is $22,275. MSRPs are at pricing tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit. Sure, in most states due to sale tax, the new $ costs more in sales tax but ummm... there's still the tax credit.

And, there's also when the warranty clock started on a used '19...

New and used Leaf inventory seems very thin in the SF Bay Area.
Having just gone through this song and dance when I wrecked my '16 SL, the insurance gave me nearly $13K for my car despite it having 95K on the odometer. If I could find one , a '16 SL was going for $16-17K with low mileage. An '18 with a 60KWH battery was $20-22K. It just didn't make sense to buy used with all the rebates available. A brand new SV+ was only $30K after the rebates including tax and license even after I paid for the paint protection package. I had to wait almost a month for the car to come in. I had to pay full boat for it but at least I could get one in a reasonable time frame. $8-9K more for a brand new '22 with a full warranty vs used seemed like a no-brainer to me. I would have loved to get a Tesla Y but I can't wait a year for one and the Leaf is $20K cheaper anyway. If I want to, I can probably sell the Leaf in 3 or 4 years for $15-16K. In the meantime, I get to drive a much improved Leaf.

It's been almost 2 months since I began pondering this decision so I thought I would update the thread. The new car market for the Nissan Leaf has improved some. Local dealers in my area have several '22 Leafs in stock. Nissan is currently offering 0% for 72 months thru Jan 4th but no cash incentives. The chip shortage seems to be easing slightly although the EV market is still nuts. ID4, Mach E, and Tesla are all sold out for the most part with only ADM dealers offering inventory.

That being said, there are alot of new EV's coming out in the next few months and I believe this will put additional downward pressure on Leaf pricing.

My short list as of now is a Leaf SL+, Solterra/BZ4x, or Model 3.
ID4-terrible UI and piano black surfaces, maybe the $35k Tenn version will address these issues???
Bolt-even the new improved seats are a dealbreaker for me
Niro-seats are a dealbreaker for me
Kona-can't find one to even sit in
Ionic 5-would like to try one when they hit
Mach E-comfy but very hard to find in my area. dealers are nuts with ADM, if inventory improves, I do qualify for X plan.

FWIW my daughter just bought a new Leaf, she carefully checked through the list of her needs and wants and the Leaf got the nod. CHAdeMo is the biggest shortfall, but they are looking at 2 high school kids with the interminable short commutes needed over the next 4-5 years and will probably almost never need to DCFC, so....

[MOD: the off-topic charging network posts were split to a new topic: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32851]

So it's getting close to the new year and I've got several dealers offering $1500 off MSRP and free delivery. Hoping to get $2000 plus off but gonna have to wait and see. Inventory is plentiful at this point.

My delimma now is SV+ or SL+. The Bose is apparently underwhelming and the amp takes up alot of space in the hatch. The pleather looks nice but I would proably be just as happy with heated cloth seats that dont freeze you in winter and scald you in summer.

What do you guys think? Save the money with the SV+ or is it worth the extra money for the Leather and Bose?????

watchdoc said:
What do you guys think? Save the money with the SV+ or is it worth the extra money for the Leather and Bose?????

The tipping point for us towards the SL+ was our 4 legged family member who shed a little too much. Keeping cloth seats take too much energy! Best of luck with your choice! Either car will be great!

Back