This is weird: could I have the BSW option, and not know it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbquikcomjamesl

On my lunch break today, I was trying to get over to make a right turn, and heard a harsh, shrill, irritating whistle, like either two pipes tuned to beat at around 40Hz, or an electronic simulation of a "pea whistle." I veered off and looked over, and saw another vehicle in the right side mirror.

I looked up the "Blind Spot Warning" in the owner's manual (starts on page 5-37, for a 2018). If I have that option, it's supposed to be listed in the "Driver Assistance" setting submenu, and I don't see anything there, just an item for the AEB system.

Either the other vehicle had a whistle instead of a horn, or I have a blind spot collision warning system, and don't know about it (and it's NOT showing up on the menus!).

The BSW includes little amber (?) lights in the outside mirrors that light up whenever a vehicle is in your blind spot. If you don't have those I think that you just heard a failing horn.

My 2018 SL with BSW makes a chime sound when I use the turn signal and also illuminates the indicator in the corresponding side mirror.

If I don't actually signal the only indication I get is the side mirror amber illumination.

Whatever you heard is independent of your car. Some diesel truck owners run the exhaust without a resonator and you will get a very shrill whistle sound when the turbo spools up so perhaps that is what you experienced.

No; there wasn't any rumble connected with it. I've come to the conclusion that it's almost certainly just somebody with a very strange horn (whether by malfunction or by design).

91040 said:
40Hz is a very low sound. Close to the lowest E on a piano.

I think they were trying to describe two higher-pitched tones that when combined result in an overlaid 40Hz interference beat.

Nubo said:
91040 said:
40Hz is a very low sound. Close to the lowest E on a piano.

I think they were trying to describe two higher-pitched tones that when combined result in an overlaid 40Hz interference beat.
Quite. It sounded like two shrill sounds beating at 40Hz. Or actually, perhaps more like beating at 20Hz. At any rate, two high pitches with a beat frequency calculated to be as grating and impossible to ignore as possible.

Back