Spare Donut Wheel and Cargo Organizer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectriCute

I would like to get a donut size wheel to use as a spare. I don't want to trust that goo stuff they provide, and I'm sure it wouldn't work at all on a puncture from something larger than a nail, etc. Even that green Slime for bicycle tires is as useless as a chocolate teapot. Any idea as to what tire/wheel combo I should purchase?

I also would like to get a rear cargo organizer that the donut wheel would fit. I've seen some while searching the Internet, but not sure that the donut spare would fit. Does anyone use this sort of thing? Thanks.

I would have tried to be more specific, but I was on my way outside, and it really can be hard to narrow down (and remember) the best topics. Basically, you want an Altima spare from the late Aughts (someone will be more specific), and if you want a good cargo cover or false floor, you'll have to build one. I do have a homemade one for a 1st Gen Leaf, plus a spare I never use now, but I don't think we're near to each other.

Agree with Leftie- we bought a donut spare tire at a junkyard and built a plywood cover that sits on wooden blocks the same height as the spare tire so it can sit flat and stable.... and also under it are the jack, lug wrench and the spare L2 charge cable.

LeftieBiker said:
I would have tried to be more specific, but I was on my way outside, and it really can be hard to narrow down (and remember) the best topics. Basically, you want an Altima spare from the late Aughts (someone will be more specific), and if you want a good cargo cover or false floor, you'll have to build one. I do have a homemade one for a 1st Gen Leaf, plus a spare I never use now, but I don't think we're near to each other.

A home made one is a good idea. I have a friend who is a decent carpenter. Maybe I can use his services.

dmacarthur said:
Agree with Leftie- we bought a donut spare tire at a junkyard and built a plywood cover that sits on wooden blocks the same height as the spare tire so it can sit flat and stable.... and also under it are the jack, lug wrench and the spare L2 charge cable.

Like I was telling Leftie, I'll ask a good friend of mine, who is good in carpentry, to lend a hand.

My plywood floor is split into 2 segments- the split running front to back and is offeset to one side. The larger panel covers the donut tire and the smaller one, which can be removed separately, covers the charging cable etc. I have used the cable occasionally and it isnice not to have to remove the entire plywood to get to it.

I did pretty much the same, cutting and hinging the left side over the fender well, hinging it, and adding a little wooden stop to keep it from opening the wrong way. I used the rear floor mat as a template for the cargo floor.

Back