Need help deciding the future of my LEAF.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the meantime, I will hedge my bets by continuing to remind (OK, harass) my neighbor over selling me his Model S at the trade in value he's offered if and when he comes to sell it. I don't think I could go too wrong with his VERY babied car.

I wouldn't keep a Tesla Model S after the warranty expired. How old is this car?

FWIW, ID.4 has terrible reliability ratings at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/, which is no surprise for VW. Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall (but I subscribe).

VW is ranked 24 out of 28. ID.4 got a reliability score of 21 out of 100. I glanced thru the top 10 brands on that list and the highest scoring car in that metric was the Lexus GX at 100. The next highest I saw there within the top 10 brands was the Prius Prime w/a 93.

I'm not a fan of buying a car w/scores that low. Lease, maybe I might be able to tolerate it but in my book, something that needs to go back to the shop a lot is junk. There are plenty of other autos that don't need that esp. within the 1st 3 to 5 years. I generally avoid cars w/below average reliability ratings but 21 out of 100 is way below average.

Tesla was ranked 27/28. Model S got a 20 out of 100. The Model 3 is the only one that does ok there w/59 out of 100.

cwerdna said:
FWIW, ID.4 has terrible reliability ratings at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars-a7824554938/, which is no surprise for VW.

I find that information useless without knowing the specifics of the trouble categories. E.g., BT connectivity might be a sore spot for that car but I could not care less.

Ok. It looks like the problem spots for ID4 which get the lowest mark (there are 5 icons) are drive system and in-car electronics. Power equipment gets a 2/5. The rest are fine with highest mark of 5/5. Definitions are at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/consumer-reports-car-reliability-faq-a1099917197/.

There is only data for 1 model year: '21.

If i pick a Toyota w/only a reliability rating of only 70, the Camry, for model year '21, every system has the highest mark (5/5), except power equipment with 4/5.

I can only guess the problem rate on the 1/5 systems on ID.4 must have been really bad coupled with another 2/5 to push its overall predicted reliability to be so low.

I don't know why the average problem rate chart for systems at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-reliability-histories-a1200719842/ only goes up to model year '18. Previous versions included newer model years. That's for a given system spanning 12 months but less for the latest model year.

IIRC, VWs are prone to issues with things like window regulators (motors). A bit more troublesome than poor Bluetooth connections. Since this has been the case for decades, I guess that VW is ok with that level of accessory unreliability.

cwerdna said:
Ok. It looks like the problem spots for ID4 which get the lowest mark (there are 5 icons) are drive system
That is an example of something I would pay attention to. Are these problems that leave owners stranded ? Or something benign ?

watchdoc said:
solartim said:
Have you looked at the VW ID.4? Very reasonable price, plus you get the full warranty and the tax credits. It will take a while to receive, but any new car will now, unless you're paying a dealer premium.

Worst UI ever combined with slow screens was a deal breaker for me.
I had no problem with slow screens. I found the ID.4 the better of all the dashboard interfaces in my recent set of test drives. Of all the EVs, the Mach-e was the absolute worst.

mwalsh said:
Definitely not looking for a new car. Though there certainly are a lot more choices these days if that's what I was after doing.

So I think I have reached the decision to buy a new car, thanks to the $7500 tax credit now being applicable to a wider range of vehicles. I could liquidate everything in my garage (LEAF, Volt, MGB, Classic Mini sedan, Classic Mini Wagon), take the $7500 credit, and maybe not be out of pocket at all.

I have finally come around to believing that I'm to old for automotive projects and it's just time to let go and have a simpler life.

Top of my list is the Bolt EUV. If I can pick up a new 2023 at the end of the model year or a 2024 early into next year, I think I'll be good to go.

If I net enough to pay for the Bolt and can still keep my LEAF, I may just hang onto it. But otherwise it's away with the rest.

So I thought an update might be in order.

The news from a couple of months ago that the Bolt EUV was going to be discontinued after this model year has complicated my plans - it leaves only the Equinox or the Blazer as acceptable EVs for my lifestyle from the Chevrolet line, and I don't like the one and the other seems too expensive to me for what it is.

The further news that they may reintroduce the Bolt EUV on the Ultium platform gives me some hope that I could possibly get one in 2025, but I'm not sure that by then we'll have enough household income (without withdrawing more than we really need to live on from retirement savings) to take advantage of the full tax credit in any year beyond the coming one. I guess we'll see.

Those of you who have known me from the very beginning of this journey we started together some 13 years ago will know that I really hate uncertainty in my life and, honestly, my life has never felt more uncertain than it has this last 3 years. I really don't care for it, but I suppose it is what it is.

However, as my hand continues to be forced by circumstances mostly beyond my control (the availability of a Bolt EUV next year being just the tip of the spear, if I'm being honest), there are some bright spots:

Dala's breakthrough with using an entire LEAF battery for PV backup and storage (thank you Dala!) has led to the decision that I am not going to sell my LEAF (at least not whole) and am instead going to repurpose my 24kWh pack on my own PV system. I am going to have to special order a Fronius Primo Gen 24 Plus from Europe, since it's not a US model (they talked about introducing it here last year but apparently never did). Which is fine as my current inverter (Sunny Boy 5000-US) is not a hybrid, so won't be at all suitable for use. This feels like a really good winter project for this year/early next year.

Edit: Apparently the Fronius inverter isn't currently certified for the USA, so this could be a problem.

I don't know what I'll end up doing with the rest of the LEAF. Certainly the paint is shot - the clear coat on the roof is now flaking off entirely and the rot in it has spread to the upper parts of the doors and the hatch lid, but that's really all that's wrong with it other than me being unhappy now with just 70 miles of range (my 2015 pack is down one battery bar). I would still like to consider doing the 62kWh upgrade on it, but without the price of these packs on the salvage market coming down significantly that's simply not going to happen. I honestly can't see putting $10-$16,000 (the higher being the typical retail cost, installed) into what will then be a 13 year old car. However, I might be able to wait out the current clamor for these packs by simply leaving the LEAF sitting in the garage until that happens. Which (and I really want to do this) would give me plenty of time to learn how to paint using HVLP equipment rather than rattle cans!

Also, I started to clean up my Volt with the intention of making it look better for eventual sale. But it turns out that I've made myself so happy with the way it looks that I may just end up keeping it. Especially if I can't find a new affordable EV that really appeals to me. After all, it only has 37,000 miles on it and, honestly, there isn't a whole lot wrong with it other than the paint not doing as well over the last 10 years as I would have hoped. But, since it lives outside all the time, I suppose that's all that could be expected. And, hey, if I do learn to paint and end up being halfway decent at it, there's no saying that I can't refinish the paint on this car too.

Anyway, keeping both the LEAF (carcass) and the Volt means the push to empty my garage completely (to finance the Bolt EUV purchase without any out of pocket cost) is no longer necessary. I have a feeling that 2 of my collector cars will have to go. For nothing else than to make room in the garage for the immobile LEAF. The MGB almost certainly, but I don't know which of the Minis. I sort of would still like to do an EV conversion on a Mini. And while it makes more sense to do the Clubman Estate (which has slightly more room under the hood for a motor and inverter and more room in the back for batteries), I am more emotionally invested in the saloon. If you've looked at the Electric Classic Cars "kit" for the classic Mini, you'll see they've established that the Tesla "small" front motor fits really well within the confines of a classic Mini sub-frame with very few modifications save some new mounting points for the motor. But then, if I'm using my entire 24kWh LEAF pack for PV storage, where am I going to find the batteries for something like that? Hmm... some stuff to think about there.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Bottom line looks to be that I'll still have my LEAF for a while, so will no doubt continue to lurk here from time to time to see what you miscreants are getting up to.

Back