thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Re: Open Letter from Nissan, September 22, 2012

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

are we really going on and on about Dubai?
I thought we were trying to get nissan to open up about marketing and battery issues in the AZ and USA.

to paraphrase randy newman:
Let's leave dubai to the eskimos.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:35 pm

thankyouOB wrote:I thought we were trying to get nissan to open up about marketing and battery issues in the AZ and USA.
The geographic breakdown of these cases is: Arizona - 52, Texas - 23, California - 29
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by scottf200 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm

thankyouOB wrote:are we really going on and on about Dubai?
I thought we were trying to get nissan to open up about marketing and battery issues in the AZ and USA.
It looks like to me that you didn't understand his point. He IS talking about battery issues. If Nissan makes a special LEAF for Dubai with active cooling, what's wrong with him or anyone else in the hotter states wanting one?
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

thankyouOB

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

LEAFfan wrote:
It looks like to me that you didn't understand his point. He IS talking about battery issues. If Nissan makes a special LEAF for Dubai with active cooling, what's wrong with him or anyone else in the hotter states wanting one?
i understand alright. ck the link and origin on the Dubai quote from Nissan guy, mark perry. it is from a blog post that is ~three years old, and it was qualified/fudged, too. and there is no telling how many years or months before that perry actually said it.

it is not as if it is a statement in tune with reality, or current events.

i would skip all the needless dubai temp comparisons.
jeez. a waste of time.

linkee here:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/is ... ngineered/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:51 pm

thankyouOB wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:
i understand alright. ck the link and origin on the Dubai quote from Nissan guy, mark perry. it is from a blog post that is ~three years old, and it was qualified/fudged, too. and there is no telling how many years or months before that perry actually said it.
it is not as if it is a statement in tune with reality, or current events.
i would skip all the needless dubai temp comparisons.
jeez. a waste of time.
linkee here:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/25/is ... ngineered/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We're not talking about what Perry said three years ago. We're talking about today...the testing going on right now in Dubai. The OP has a legitimate question.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm

^^^
I think he also brought up Dubai at the meeting at the Googleplex last year. I was there but someone else who attended can confirm whether or not my recollection is correct.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

thankyouOB

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

leafkabob wrote:Here is a question that I would like for Hawk/Jeff Kuhlman to answer:
Is Nissan planning on releasing (or has it released) the Leaf in Dubai? If so, when? If so, will it have a liquid cooled BMS?
Thank you.
here (above) is what prompted this sidetracking.
along with you saying you had "heard" about it.
i dont see any legitimate provenance for saying nissan is doing a special BMS for arabia or hot climates.

there is no there there.
--
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:05 pm

thankyouOB wrote:
leafkabob wrote:Here is a question that I would like for Hawk/Jeff Kuhlman to answer:
Is Nissan planning on releasing (or has it released) the Leaf in Dubai? If so, when? If so, will it have a liquid cooled BMS?
Thank you.
here (above) is what prompted this sidetracking.
along with you saying you had "heard" about it.
i dont see any legitimate provenance for saying nissan is doing a special BMS for arabia or hot climates.

there is no there there.
Thank you for your opinion. I do not consider this "sidetracking." The person who told me the leaf was coming to Dubai has had many recent phone conversations with Nissan execs. I don't know if he heard it there, or where the rumor came from, but given all of our problems here in Phoenix, I thought it worthy of asking. If in fact Nissan IS introducing the car in Dubai, then I would be very interested in knowing how different it is from my car. If Nissan has decided NOT to introduce the car in Dubai, I would likewise be very interested in knowing their reasoning. If they are not going to roll it out in Dubai then they have changed their plans. I would find that very revealing.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015
2018 Tesla Model 3 received 4/27/2018

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

^^^ I can already guess what Nissan is going to do in Dubai without anybody having to ask Nissan anything. Nissan is going to roll out the LEAF in Dubai for sure. But they're not going to have TMS or a different battery chemistry. And they're still going to say it will go 100 miles. And they're still not going to warn anybody about temperature effect or anything like that, just like they didn't do it for AZ folks a year ago. In short, they're going to sell LEAFs in Dubai just like they're still selling LEAFs currently in AZ, no difference.

What they may do differently based on what they learn from AZ is perhaps they're going to reprogram the Dubai's LEAF firmware so that the first capacity bar will not disappear until after 30% capacity loss or more. :lol:

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 am

Volusiano wrote:^^^ I can already guess what Nissan is going to do in Dubai without anybody having to ask Nissan anything. Nissan is going to roll out the LEAF in Dubai for sure. But they're not going to have TMS or a different battery chemistry. And they're still going to say it will go 100 miles. And they're still not going to warn anybody about temperature effect or anything like that, just like they didn't do it for AZ folks a year ago. In short, they're going to sell LEAFs in Dubai just like they're still selling LEAFs currently in AZ, no difference.

What they may do differently based on what they learn from AZ is perhaps they're going to reprogram the Dubai's LEAF firmware so that the first capacity bar will not disappear until after 30% capacity loss or more. :lol:
I disagree that they will sell leafs in Dubai just as they are in Phoenix. Mark Perry implied that Dubai would need TMS because its weather was so extreme. It appears that at least as of 2010 Nissan expected to sell the leaf in Dubai. The fact that they have not yet done so tells me that they do not have a solution for the battery capacity loss we are seeing in Phoenix.

On the other hand, if they have plans to bring the car to Dubai within the next year or so, that tells me that they have a solution. If so, then perhaps they will sell that version of the Leaf in Phoenix, Texas, etc.

The bottom line is that I think it is a question worth asking Jeff Kuhlman.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015
2018 Tesla Model 3 received 4/27/2018

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”