Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Re: Andy Palmer and Chelsea Sexton Discuss the Nissan LEAF

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:12 pm

evchels wrote:There are a few nominated members from this forum on board though, so I'm excited to "out" them: DaveinOlyWa, RegGuheert, and TonyWilliams.
All excellent choices! Very good to hear this news on top of the 1500+ Leafs sold/leased in October.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 pm

thanks for the update.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

KJD
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15656

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm

evchels wrote:Meanwhile, no news on battery pack pricing, though internal conversations about this topic and potential general remedies continue, and I've been trying to intervene on individual cases. On this too, I should have more info in the next week or so- and based on conversations so far, am hopeful.
Chelsea,
Did you read this thread from TaylorSFGuy "Nissan says I cant buy a new battery pack".

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would seem obvious that Nissan needs to listen to anyone that has driven a Leaf over 55k miles in such a short period of time. I think his perspective is unique among us as a Leaf mileage leader.

Thank you for your time.
KJD
2012 SL Delivered 12/08/2011
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm

KJD wrote: It would seem obvious that Nissan needs to listen to anyone that has driven a Leaf over 55k miles in such a short period of time. I think his perspective is unique among us as a Leaf mileage leader.

Thank you for your time.
KJD
I really don't think it matters how fast you get there. Obviously he's going to get there faster than most of us, but we will all eventually reach 60k-75k miles where is looks like many drivers will start seeing the car as too limiting. They have to have a path forward to install new packs to "refresh" the car and give it all of its range back. Heck a buyer of a used Leaf with 70k miles might want to have one installed to make it "new" again. He buys it cheap due to the limited capacity remaining and then installs new pack and its like new again.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am

evchels wrote:
surfingslovak wrote: Welcome back, you might want to watch the latest episode of Transport Evolved:
Hmm...not sure I'd recommend that! (Or at least, cover the screen/your ears when that American girl gets going.. :) ) ...
I don't know about that, I thought what you said made a lot of sense. When you mentioned that inductive charging was a "solution in search of a problem" I was reminded that I had used the same description many months ago at plugincars.com (before my personal boycott of the site since last May). And some of your comments about the QC formats were amusing, if a bit indelicate. I agree with the gist of your argument about the misplaced focus on massive charge station networks, especially since I muddle along ok in the complete absence of any public charge stations at all.

I will say that your webcam wasn't too flattering though... ;)
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 am

I fully expect that simultaneous with the end of my 4 year lease at around 55K miles, I will also hit the end of the car having a usable range for my needs at a 4 to 5 tick capacity loss. I also expect that by then, I'll need to charge to 100 percent each day to make my drive. I would not want to be the one who buys my car off lease...

I've updated my losses (currently about 20%) to Nissan CS as they have occurred but so far all they are willing to do is quote chapter and verse from the "no capacity warranty" portion of the manual... I have a Tesla on order and expect it may be the replacement for my Leaf (the Toyota RAV4 EV doesn't interest me and is too expensive for what it is IMHO, and their handling of the federal lease tax credit is also very annoying and somewhat sleazy)...
palmermd wrote:I really don't think it matters how fast you get there. Obviously he's going to get there faster than most of us, but we will all eventually reach 60k-75k miles where is looks like many drivers will start seeing the car as too limiting.
Last edited by TomT on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Phoenix
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1511

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Chelsea: Let Nissan know that they are losing customers because they still have not released their 2013 LEAFs with the faster 6.6kw charger. After my nephew borrowed my LEAF for extended test drives, he finally purchased the Toyota RAV4 EV. He just got tired of waiting for the new LEAF to come out. And, with the 10kw charger, the RAV4 looked good by comparison.

evchels

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
evchels wrote:
surfingslovak wrote: Welcome back, you might want to watch the latest episode of Transport Evolved:
Hmm...not sure I'd recommend that! (Or at least, cover the screen/your ears when that American girl gets going.. :) ) ...
I don't know about that, I thought what you said made a lot of sense. When you mentioned that inductive charging was a "solution in search of a problem" I was reminded that I had used the same description many months ago at plugincars.com (before my personal boycott of the site since last May). And some of your comments about the QC formats were amusing, if a bit indelicate. I agree with the gist of your argument about the misplaced focus on massive charge station networks, especially since I muddle along ok in the complete absence of any public charge stations at all.
Thanks- and yes, that is one of a couple regular podcasts that walks a line somewhere between candid and indelicate, and whose organizers/audience encourage me toward the latter. But especially given the Wired article and general design of Tesla's Supercharger, it was a softball hard not to hit. Sometimes it's really obvious that I basically grew up in the auto industry! :)

Curious about the PIC boycott too- sounds like I missed some drama there (though have certainly seen some recently!) Maybe a better PM convo...
dgpcolorado wrote: I will say that your webcam wasn't too flattering though... ;)
Hah, yeah, I know- though can't blame the webcam (just the usual native mac cam). I keep trying to convince Nikki that "face for radio" can apply to podcasts too, but have yet to win that battle...

evchels

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Phoenix wrote:Chelsea: Let Nissan know that they are losing customers because they still have not released their 2013 LEAFs with the faster 6.6kw charger. After my nephew borrowed my LEAF for extended test drives, he finally purchased the Toyota RAV4 EV. He just got tired of waiting for the new LEAF to come out. And, with the 10kw charger, the RAV4 looked good by comparison.
I understand. We've been bugging them about the 3.3 vs 6.6 kW issue since the original charging spec was established- none of the 1990's cars charged so slowly, and it's a huge, yet-to-be justified mistake by GM, Nissan, Mits, etc. But unfortunately, I'm not sure how likely it is that we'll see US-built LEAFs before the end of Q1 2013 in general...

However, I don't see many non-fleet (if that) takers of the full 10kW capability of the RAV either. Those folks will mostly choose 6.6kW, and won't benefit any further by most public charging stations either.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:59 pm

evchels wrote:[...
I don't know about that, I thought what you said made a lot of sense. When you mentioned that inductive charging was a "solution in search of a problem" I was reminded that I had used the same description many months ago at plugincars.com (before my personal boycott of the site since last May). And some of your comments about the QC formats were amusing, if a bit indelicate. I agree with the gist of your argument about the misplaced focus on massive charge station networks, especially since I muddle along ok in the complete absence of any public charge stations at all. [/quote]
Thanks- and yes, that is one of a couple regular podcasts that walks a line somewhere between candid and indelicate, and whose organizers/audience encourage me toward the latter. But especially given the Wired article and general design of Tesla's Supercharger, it was a softball hard not to hit. Sometimes it's really obvious that I basically grew up in the auto industry! :)

Curious about the PIC boycott too- sounds like I missed some drama there (though have certainly seen some recently!) Maybe a better PM convo...
dgpcolorado wrote: I will say that your webcam wasn't too flattering though... ;)
Hah, yeah, I know- though can't blame the webcam (just the usual native mac cam). I keep trying to convince Nikki that "face for radio" can apply to podcasts too, but have yet to win that battle...[/quote]

how should i understand the boldfaced part?
U lost me.

(my question is in underline; I screwed up the edit.)
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”