DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Re: Trickle Charger - using it long term - OK or not

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:When I finally detached it and got the EVSE plugging into the outlet itself I found a little brown on the outlet due to excessive heat over too long a period of time
This can also be caused by a bad receptacle as well - if the receptacle doesn't grab the plug tight or well enough, the same thing can happen. This can also happen with the cheap push-in receptacles which are very common - always use a heavy-duty screw down the wire type receptacle.

davewill

Re: Trickle Charger - using it long term - OK or not

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

drees wrote:
EatsShootsandLeafs wrote:When I finally detached it and got the EVSE plugging into the outlet itself I found a little brown on the outlet due to excessive heat over too long a period of time
This can also be caused by a bad receptacle as well - if the receptacle doesn't grab the plug tight or well enough, the same thing can happen. This can also happen with the cheap push-in receptacles which are very common - always use a heavy-duty screw down the wire type receptacle.
I'd assume that if there's visible scorching on the outside, there's a possibility of damage inside the receptacle as well. I'd go ahead and replace it.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”