mrradon
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:35 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2012

Finally did the mods

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Disable VSP
Removed the VSP speaker to disable the noise maker. After testing with co-workers with and without, they couldn't tell unless I was going backwards that the Leaf was making any noise. I however, found the scrapping noise that thing made as bad as nails on a caulk board.
The speaker is easy to get to if you remove the front engine bay trim cover and the reservoir tank for the High Voltage Cooling system. I laid it on its side and slide my hand behind the driver bumper. A 12mm socket to remove the two retaining bolts, then I a plugged mating connector to cap off the unused connector in case I ever want to reinstall the speaker.
Interesting that the speaker is not sealed and has a paper cone!

Super Preheat
I also added a DPDT switch into a blank dash switch cover. I added to one side a 220ohm 1/8W axial lead resistor the other I shorted. To the common terminals I spliced into the red sensor lead to the in cabin air temperature thermistor with a connector (so I could easily remove the mod if needed) to splice in my DPDT mod'ed switch. Now when off, the cabin air temp reads normal (through the shorted bars). When on the cabin air temp reads a bit low (about 10F because of the added resistance). Since I have to park my car outside, and as it gets colder, I like to have a super warm car. So far testing seems to be right at 88F rather than the 77F Nissan thinks I want the car pre-warmed to. This will also work great to melt the snow off the car. I'm at 700' and get snow a lot more than Seattle does.
I also feel it helps dehumidify the car given this is Seattle. I also seem to note I use far less energy on cool days keeping the car at 73F, maybe preheating the heater fluid is good energy management.

The in cabin air sensor was harder to get to than the VSP speaker. The manual gave great info where the clips were. All the switch connectors came off easy. There was not much extra wire to the sensor so I used a small sealed Deutsch DTM series 2-way connector to tap into the circuit. I used some 18AWG wire to run from the switch blank on the driver left hand side to the in cabin air temp sensor and connect to the Deutsch connector.
After 3 trips to work and back I love the super heated cabin early in the morning. Can't wait for the snow...
10.125KW Netmeter System, (3) 15 panel arrays
(45) REC225PE-US + (45) M190-72-240-S12
SolarMount I Racking
2012 Leaf, Ocean Blue - 32,800 11 bars

User avatar
LakeLeaf
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California

Re: Finally did the mods

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 pm

As far as I know, the VSP system is some type of federal mandate. It will be an interesting feeding frenzy for the lawyers if you now have the unfortunate circumstance of having someone walk into your car while driving around the parking lot. If the car company is required by federal law to install the VSP, I wonder what, if anything, the law says about the owner keeping that in place.

Hopefully, you'll never have to find out.

(n.b. - I'm with you that the VSP is essentially worthless and annoying at best, just wonder what your actions mean in our litigious society)

vegastar
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5564
Location: Portugal

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:40 am

mrradon wrote: Super Preheat
I also added a DPDT switch into a blank dash switch cover. I added to one side a 220ohm 1/8W axial lead resistor the other I shorted. To the common terminals I spliced into the red sensor lead to the in cabin air temperature thermistor with a connector (so I could easily remove the mod if needed) to splice in my DPDT mod'ed switch. Now when off, the cabin air temp reads normal (through the shorted bars). When on the cabin air temp reads a bit low (about 10F because of the added resistance). Since I have to park my car outside, and as it gets colder, I like to have a super warm car. So far testing seems to be right at 88F rather than the 77F Nissan thinks I want the car pre-warmed to. This will also work great to melt the snow off the car. I'm at 700' and get snow a lot more than Seattle does.
I also feel it helps dehumidify the car given this is Seattle. I also seem to note I use far less energy on cool days keeping the car at 73F, maybe preheating the heater fluid is good energy management.

The in cabin air sensor was harder to get to than the VSP speaker. The manual gave great info where the clips were. All the switch connectors came off easy. There was not much extra wire to the sensor so I used a small sealed Deutsch DTM series 2-way connector to tap into the circuit. I used some 18AWG wire to run from the switch blank on the driver left hand side to the in cabin air temp sensor and connect to the Deutsch connector.
After 3 trips to work and back I love the super heated cabin early in the morning. Can't wait for the snow...
Interesting...

Could it be possible to disable the cabin heater by fooling the system that the cabin is at, for example, 20ºC. I understand that you placed a 220R resistor in series with the thermistor to fool the ECU into thinking the cabin temperature was lower than the reality. If we could place a resistor in parallel I think we could fool the ECU the other way around.
2011 Nissan LEAF since 2011-07-07, 151000 km on 2018-03-03, 7 bars, 37.9Ah.

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 am

LakeLeaf wrote:As far as I know, the VSP system is some type of federal mandate.
No it is not. There was a federal mandate to "research" VSP systems, however there is currently no federal mandate for one to be required on vehicles.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

User avatar
ksnogas2112
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881
Location: Lenexa KS (Kansas City)
Contact: Website

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 am

LakeLeaf wrote: (n.b. - I'm with you that the VSP is essentially worthless and annoying at best, just wonder what your actions mean in our litigious society)
It means we need to start installing yellow flashing rotating lights on top of the cars so people who can't hear the oncoming traffic warning can see it.

hhmmm...no wait a vehicle generated static shock field 3 feet around the vehicle...hmmm...
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-55,000+ miles

User avatar
JeremyW
Posts: 1546
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 am

Legalities aside, isn't it the same speaker that makes the beeps to let you know charging has started, doors unlocked, etc?
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5685
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 am

DarkStar wrote:
LakeLeaf wrote:As far as I know, the VSP system is some type of federal mandate.
No it is not. There was a federal mandate to "research" VSP systems, however there is currently no federal mandate for one to be required on vehicles.
Nonetheless, in case of injury a good case could be made against you for deliberately disabling a device intended to provide safety to pedestrians.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
hill
Gold Member
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 am

Nubo wrote:.............snip in case of injury a good case could be made against you for deliberately disabling a device intended to provide safety to pedestrians.
Your scenerio also included "driving around ... parking lot as well as pedestrian walking around. If you don't stop for a ped ... which causes ped to be injured, then there is at least comparative fault, whether the noise maker works or not ... even if you had a tug boat horn ... you didn't stop.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5685
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am

hill wrote:
Nubo wrote:.............snip in case of injury a good case could be made against you for deliberately disabling a device intended to provide safety to pedestrians.
Your scenerio also included "driving around ... parking lot as well as pedestrian walking around. If you don't stop for a ped ... which causes ped to be injured, then there is at least comparative fault, whether the noise maker works or not ... even if you had a tug boat horn ... you didn't stop.
True, but there would be a difference in intent. An "accident", if you will, vs. the deliberate recklessness of disabling the warning system.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
jmillington
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0953
Location: Orangevale, CA

Re: Finally did the mods

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Uhhhh, you can disable VSP with a simple button push provided by Nissan?...
Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 9/2/10, Delivered: 4/25/11, VIN: 953

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”