iDriver
Delivery Date: 08 May 2013

Questions before I buy

Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 am

I've been lurking the forum for a while now. I own an i-MiEV and might buy a Leaf as well.

I was hoping someone could answer a few lingering questions for me:

[*]Traction Battery heating and cooling: Does the leaf have any of this? I keep finding mixed info on the forum.
[*]Regenerative Braking: does pressing the brake increase regen? Or is it like the Tesla, where the brakes are just plain old brakes and the regen comes from lifting your foot off the accelerator?

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Re: Questions before I buy

Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 am

no active cooling system for battery. i believe it heats when plugged in and is powering. but I know of NO separate battery warmer.
regen happens when you lift off power pedal and decreases when you impart friction braking, which starts somewhere during the pressure on brake pedal.
it seems that the exact calculation for when the friction braking chimes in is hidden within the computer.
Last edited by thankyouOB on Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 am

No battery temperature management.

Hmmm. In my 2011, regen increases when the brake pedal is pressed - at least that is what the bubbles say. It is different from the Tesla where I don't believe the brake pedal influences regen. Take a test drive in the LEAF and you will answer your question about regen.
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

iDriver
Delivery Date: 08 May 2013

Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

ebill3 wrote:... from the Tesla - I don't believe the brake pedal influences regen.

This is correct. I get to drive a Model S pretty often. I'm fond of my i-MiEV's method, whereby pressing the brake pedal further increases regen.

The Leaf works the same way?

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

iDriver wrote:
ebill3 wrote:... from the Tesla - I don't believe the brake pedal influences regen.
This is correct. I get to drive a Model S pretty often. I'm fond of my i-MiEV's method, whereby pressing the brake pedal further increases regen.

The Leaf works the same way?
The LEAF works the same way. However, it is unclear when or how much friction braking is being applied when the brake pedal is being used. Those of us who try to drive efficiently use the brake pedal as little as is practical.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 pm

iDriver wrote:I've been lurking the forum for a while now. I own an i-MiEV and might buy a Leaf as well.

I was hoping someone could answer a few lingering questions for me:

[*]Traction Battery heating and cooling: Does the leaf have any of this? I keep finding mixed info on the forum.
[*]Regenerative Braking: does pressing the brake increase regen? Or is it like the Tesla, where the brakes are just plain old brakes and the regen comes from lifting your foot off the accelerator?
No active battery cooling. There is battery heating as of 2012 model, but afaik, mostly just to keep the batteries from freezing at -14F.

Regen and brakes are blended. Initial light application of brakes will command regen. The relationship is complex but you'll soon learn how to optimize it for your driving style. The dash shows the amount of regen going on. Different driving modes selectable to control how much throttle-off regen is invoked.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm

None of the LEAF batteries have any cooling. Strictly heat conduction through the case and into the ambient non-moving air.
See Correction Later In This Thread: There is some air movement past the battery case when the vehicle is moving.
But some of the LEAFs do have battery heating. The "Cold Weather Package" that was optional on late build 2011 LEAFs, and is standard on 2012 - 2013. The cold weather package battery heater comes on at -20C / -4F. My recollection is that the battery heater turns off at 14F.
The LEAF battery chemistry is near useless if it gets much below -10F. A 2011 LEAF without the "cold weather package" should not be used in conditions where the battery can get to -10F. It should be left in a garage where hopefully there will be enough heat from the attic to keep it above -10F.
I don't think Nissan has been very clear about what the risk would be of a LEAF battery getting extremely cold, say -30F or colder. If the status of charge was high enough before the battery got that cold, it might be OK. The Nissan software protects the battery from getting to a level that can permanently damage the battery, unlike the Tesla Roadster that had no such protection. There were some Tesla Roadster owners that did mess up and permanently damage, aka Brick the battery, and Tesla would not cover it under warranty as the owner's manual warned about the risk.
On a LEAF without the battery heater, I don't think it would be very prudent to leave it with a very low status of charge and let it get much below -10F.
Even on a LEAF with the battery heater, it would be better to make sure the status of charge is kept high enough to keep the battery heater working in conditions below -10F.
Last edited by TimLee on Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 pm

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

BTW, the biggest thing to worry about is range, how long your daily commutes are and whether there's charging along the way/at destinations. However, if the i-Miev's range is working fine for you and you don't plan to take the Leaf any further, then you should be ok.

You really want to buy instead of lease?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 pm

No & yes
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

CMYK4Life
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2013

Thu May 09, 2013 5:45 am

If you are this close - just buy. Its a great car!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”