DaveEV

Re: Ecotality filed for bankrupcy and intent to sell all ass

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 am

coolfilmaker wrote:Nope. You just would need to have a controller set up to modify the J1772 pulse on each EVSE so that demand would match supply. With 3 days to charge all of the cars it would require less square footage of panels than the cars took up in parking space.
Great! Why don't you build such a setup and let us know how it works! Let us know how you'll be funding the project, too! Maybe set up a Kickstarter project? That's the type of one-off project that would have saved Ecotality!

davewill

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 am

coolfilmaker wrote:Nope. You just would need to have a controller set up to modify the J1772 pulse on each EVSE so that demand would match supply. With 3 days to charge all of the cars it would require less square footage of panels than the cars took up in parking space.
These were test drive events. They had several LEAFs all running test drives non-stop. They would pull a car out to QC (quick charge) it for 20 minutes, then get it back doing test drives. There was no time to use J1772, much less let it take three days to charge the cars. :roll:
Last edited by davewill on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 am

Come to the 2014 Teslive event!

Along with the great sessions, outside vendors, Tesla Factory party, and Sunday morning mountain drive, we'll be demonstrating our new EV solar charging system on site at the event....

Drive your Model S from anywhere in California, and you'll be able to re-charge in the day time with the other 150 or so Teslas at the event. Power will be shared among the cars, but we're pretty sure we can provide a few hundred watts continuously for each car...Make sure you check the optional charging box on your registration (cost: $1,000 additional per attendee), and leave knowing that the event is as Green as can be....

The hotel is also offering reduced rates for those folks who will need to stay an extra night or two while your car is charging...

Have a great conference.... :)

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Randy wrote:Come to the 2014 Teslive event!

Along with the great sessions, outside vendors, Tesla Factory party, and Sunday morning mountain drive, we'll be demonstrating our new EV solar charging system on site at the event....

Drive your Model S from anywhere in California, and you'll be able to re-charge in the day time with the other 150 or so Teslas at the event. Power will be shared among the cars, but we're pretty sure we can provide a few hundred watts continuously for each car...Make sure you check the optional charging box on your registration (cost: $1,000 additional per attendee), and leave knowing that the event is as Green as can be....

The hotel is also offering reduced rates for those folks who will need to stay an extra night or two while your car is charging...

Oh, for fuck's sake. It would be a huge promotion for Solar City. I'm sure they have thousands of spare panels that they could use.

GRA

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:40 pm

coolfilmaker wrote:
Randy wrote:Come to the 2014 Teslive event!

Oh, for fuck's sake. It would be a huge promotion for Solar City. I'm sure they have thousands of spare panels that they could use.
About the most efficient commercial panels now available run 21% efficiency IIRR. Assuming ISA that's 210Wp/m^2, before any losses. The generic, one size fits all parking space as recommended by the Institute of Transportation Engineers measures 18' x 8', or just under 13.4m^2, or 2.81kW per space assuming the panels remain at normal incidence throughout the day (i.e. 2-axis tracking), in ideal conditions. In the real world, you'd be lucky to average 75% of that. Then add losses. Without running all the numbers, let's guesstimate 1.8kW average available (I'm probably being generous), so the panels can supply at most just a bit above L1 and well below even 3.3kW L2. Assuming the sun shines all day, without a cloud in the sky.

Having provided portable power at concerts and the like using solar arrays, believe me, you're dependent on the batteries. For cars, QC or even L2 just isn't an option without a battery or a grid, barring huge arrays per car.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

coolfilmaker

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Yes, the batteries are in each car and can accept a charge at just about any rate....

The 2014 event will be larger. If the hotel happens to have a large parking lot with a lot of extra spaces it would be relatively straight forward. I imagine Tesla and Solar City would be willing to donate a few engineer-hours considering it would probably break a world record or two.

TonyWilliams

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm

coolfilmaker wrote:Yes, the batteries are in each car and can accept a charge at just about any rate....

The 2014 event will be larger. If the hotel happens to have a large parking lot with a lot of extra spaces it would be relatively straight forward. I imagine Tesla and Solar City would be willing to donate a few engineer-hours considering it would probably break a world record or two.
At Teslive 2013, there was a several hundred KVA generator running just for L2 charging. How much solar area and batteries would that take?

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:51 pm

300,000w would be 1500 panels and 30,000 sq/ft
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

coolfilmaker

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:47 am

In the photos, the maximum number of Blinks I could see was 8. I don't think there were any in another location. If we give them the benefit of the doubt and say 10, that's 10 x 240 volts x 30 amps = 72 kW. I highly doubt they were all being 100% utilized.

Now on to solar. Let's say we want to use 10,000 square feet.

100 x 100 feet.

Sunpower X-21 panels are about 4 x 5 feet and produce 345 watts max.

That makes a 20 x 25 panel array with 172.5 kW of power (20 x 25 x .345).

Teslive is in the peak of summer, the ideal time to do this. The sun rose on the Saturday of Teslive 2013 at 5:57 am and set at 8:30 pm.

To be on the conservative side, I'd say that means 8 full hours of sun.

172.5 x 8 hours x 2.5 days = 3450 kilowatt-hours of energy.

That's just for a small setup. I was able to find quite a few multiple-hundred-thousand square foot parking lots nearby hotels in Fremont.

Also take into account that the factory now has 4 Supercharger stalls and that most people who went to Teslive 2013 drove to the factory 1-2 times.

DaveEV

Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 am

Who's going to be crazy enough to use expensive Sunpower panels and cart them around, leaving them to sit in storage 360 days of the year? Never mind an expensive tracking system?

Surprisingly, your back of the envelope calculations are in the right ball park - if a bit optimistic because of the expensive panels and tracking system. Not to mention batteries.

Still, for annual events like this, you're going to pay a million bucks for a system that can do what you describe if not more.

You're much better off spending that $950k on a grid-tied PV system that's always producing power and using $50k for a generator and portable charging setup.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”