Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: Ecotality filed for bankrupcy and intent to sell all ass

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:40 pm

TomT wrote:I had Blink replace my 1772 cable about 4 months ago with an improved version to preclude just such an issue... They also redid the CT crimps and some other preventative maintenance at the same time, and were nice enough to give me a backup SD card...
You are one of the lucky few. I'd still check for heat though!

-Phil
Last edited by Ingineer on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

camasleaf
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

KJD wrote:Did you guys see this picture over at plug in cars ?
http://www.plugincars.com/ecotality-aft ... 28541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blink-charger-fire-620.jpg
OK, this weekend I will open the Blink and check the power connections. I am one of the lucky ones that did not have any problems charging for 2.5 years with charging two cars (3.3 kW) for the last year.

And, yes I will turn the breaker off and unplug it before checking the connections ;) .
2011 SLe 06/17/11 Over 92000 miles 59%SOH
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV
2014 Model S P85 87000 miles 250 miles range
5.7kW DC Solar System

bowthom
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 307

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Ingineer wrote:All you blink owners that have had "no problems", be warned that if you ever try to charge at over 4kW you may end up with problems. If you ever charge a EV with a larger OBC, after 20 minutes, stop the charge and feel the parts of both J1772 connectors for anything hot. If you do find something too hot, stop charging immediately, or at least dial your unit down to 16A.

-Phil
That pic above is ugly but it was the installers connection that failed not Blink's manufacturing.

I'm getting a 25*F uptick at my blink handle with 16A at the 1 hour mark. Haven't checked my Open EVSE (Leviton) handle yet.

Don
Reserv Apr 20 - Ord Aug 31
Red - ETEC trim
BLINK inst 3/14/11 (rev 2.1.2B)
P1213 4/29/11 - Charger repl 6/8/11
P1273 2/15/12 - P32270 10/2/13
TCU upgrd 2/15/17
-1bar 11/14 -2bars 6/16 -3bars 7/18 -4bars 9/19

Deliver 2/23/11 - 75k+ mi

Ingineer

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 pm

bowthom wrote:That pic above is ugly but it was the installers connection that failed not Blink's manufacturing.

I'm getting a 25*F uptick at my blink handle with 16A at the 1 hour mark. Haven't checked my Open EVSE (Leviton) handle yet.

Don
I don't agree, it was Blink's engineering that specified a crappy low-cost terminal block. It's a marginal part for 20A, let alone 30A! On top of that, it was not installed correctly.

Several people personally inspected Berman's unit, I was one of them. One of the factory screws was not very tight, and the middle one was loose enough you could actually see a gap in-between the pressure plate and the conductor. I'm not even sure it was tightened at all. I think this is what started it down a path of overheating. The overheating looks like it eventually carbonized the plastic and then an arc-over event occurred on the input side.

This is the factory side, which looks to me where the problem began. The middle screw was not tight at all. You can clearly see the gap.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

bowthom
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 307

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello,
Well........ I don't agree from the pictures I see. The right side (assembled by Blink) was passing just as much current and didn't burn as much or as far. Same connector, same current, different people making connection.
That pic above looks like transfer compared to this earlier pic where the wire is burned, plastic housing melted and insulation melted several inches away. The right hand screws aren't discolored like the left side.

Maybe it's all in the perspective, I've not seen it in person. The problem with post mortem inspection is that copper will relax and screws will seem loose. It's hard to tell if it was loose "pre failure" Unless you see the screw in the position where unused terminals reside.

Don
Last edited by bowthom on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reserv Apr 20 - Ord Aug 31
Red - ETEC trim
BLINK inst 3/14/11 (rev 2.1.2B)
P1213 4/29/11 - Charger repl 6/8/11
P1273 2/15/12 - P32270 10/2/13
TCU upgrd 2/15/17
-1bar 11/14 -2bars 6/16 -3bars 7/18 -4bars 9/19

Deliver 2/23/11 - 75k+ mi

Ingineer

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

bowthom wrote:Hello,
Well........ I don't agree from the pictures I see. The right side (assembled by Blink) was passing just as much current and didn't burn as much or as far. Same connector, same current, different people making connection.
That picture doesn't even show the other side which had extensive damage. I performed a total teardown, including slicing open the terminal block. It's very obvious to me. The massive charring on the left side was from an arc-over event. The two conductors arced between them so much that it melted away significant copper on the inlet wiring.

A "psychic diagnosis" doesn't carry much weight with me, you have to take it apart in order to draw proper conclusions.

-Phil

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Yeah, I have, and my infrared thermometer shows all is doing well.
Ingineer wrote:
TomT wrote:I had Blink replace my 1772 cable about 4 months ago with an improved version to preclude just such an issue... They also redid the CT crimps and some other preventative maintenance at the same time, and were nice enough to give me a backup SD card...
You are one of the lucky few. I'd still check for heat though!-Phil
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 am

drees wrote: +1. Generators are the standard method of bringing in large amounts of temporary power.

Nissan did the same thing when driving around for the LEAF tours a few years back when they were doing all the ride-and-drive events. Diesel generator powering QC stations on the back of a diesel truck.
If they actually had some competent engineers, they could have borrowed some portable solar panels from another company and made that work.

davewill

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 am

coolfilmaker wrote:
drees wrote:+1. Generators are the standard method of bringing in large amounts of temporary power.

Nissan did the same thing when driving around for the LEAF tours a few years back when they were doing all the ride-and-drive events. Diesel generator powering QC stations on the back of a diesel truck.
If they actually had some competent engineers, they could have borrowed some portable solar panels from another company and made that work.
You've got to be kidding. It would take a huge array, plus a battery backup system to keep up with QC'ing cars all day...it sure as hell wouldn't have been portable. Plus a cloudy day could have ruined the event.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

coolfilmaker
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 am

davewill wrote:
coolfilmaker wrote:
drees wrote:+1. Generators are the standard method of bringing in large amounts of temporary power.

You've got to be kidding. It would take a huge array, plus a battery backup system to keep up with QC'ing cars all day...it sure as hell wouldn't have been portable. Plus a cloudy day could have ruined the event.
Nope. You just would need to have a controller set up to modify the J1772 pulse on each EVSE so that demand would match supply. With 3 days to charge all of the cars it would require less square footage of panels than the cars took up in parking space.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”