Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are free)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.

mwalsh said:
Valdemar said:
Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.

Worth it to keep that warranty up though.

That's exactly my point, the warranty you won't get to benefit from in 99.9% of the cases.

mwalsh said:

It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.

kubel said:
mwalsh said:

It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.
Right on Kubel....I agree 100%

^^^ OT but I think $30 for tire rotation is actually reasonable. There are shops that will do it for free, but they have a slightly different business model. As for the battery check, I couldn't agree more. I thought there was something that Nissan makes you sign at the time of purchase that they can take to court? Need to review my paperwork. The idea of paying for a bogus 5-star report taken from a prematurely degrading battery just rubs me the wrong way.

Warranty terms are set by the OEM.
Just because no one likes paying for the battery report doesn't mean you can just decide not to do it and then think you will still be able to get warranty coverage.
The annual battery test is required to maintain both the capacity warranty and the 8 year / 100,000 mile defects warranty (longer in CA).
To claim otherwise is really bad advice :roll:

JPVLeaf said:
FWIW, 3-yr battery check being done today.
$34 at Tustin Nissan (Tustin, CA).
Seems reasonable. What else are you paying for on your 3-year service? Mine is coming up in a month or so.

TimLee said:
The annual battery test is required to maintain both the capacity warranty and the 8 year / 100,000 mile defects warranty (longer in CA). To claim otherwise is really bad advice :roll:

I agree completely. Not worth the risk of what I'm sure would be a protracted battle with Nissan when you do need to claim on the warranty.

drees said:
JPVLeaf said:
FWIW, 3-yr battery check being done today.
$34 at Tustin Nissan (Tustin, CA).
Seems reasonable. What else are you paying for on your 3-year service? Mine is coming up in a month or so.
Yeah, I thought so too.
Initally took the car to get my P3227 update done after receiving dealer/service center reminder card. In anticipation of my pending battery warranty claim in the next 6-8 mo., I finally decided to take it in for the update. As mwalsh said, I don't want any 'issues' when I come calling for my new battery! I decided to get the 3-yr battery check done for that same/sole reason. Not asking for any other work.

The warranty is fairly explicit:

2011 Leaf Warranty Information Booklet 2011 said:
...You are required to perform annual EV Battery Usage Report at intervals of 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months, 72 months, and 84 months. These EV Battery Usage Reports can be performed by a Nissan LEAF certified dealer or any qualified repair shop facility. The 12 and 24 month EV Battery Usage Report will be performed at no charge to the customer, provided the work is done at a Nissan LEAF certified dealer. Any damage or failure resulting from a failure to have these required services performed, or that could have been avoided had these services been performed, is not covered under warranty. Any damage or failure resulting from a failure to have these required services performed, or that could have been avoided had these services been performed, is not covered under warranty.

TimLee said:
The annual battery test is required to maintain both the capacity warranty and the 8 year / 100,000 mile defects warranty (longer in CA).
I'm not aware of a longer battery warranty for CA LEAFs. I am pretty sure it's the same 8-year 100k mile warranty against defects across the USA.

This is what my book says-
2011 Leaf Warranty Information Booklet said:
LITHIUM–ION BATTERY COVERAGE
The Lithium-Ion coverage period is 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship subject to the exclusions listed under the heading WHAT IS NOT COVERED. This warranty period is 96 months or100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

You may be correct that CA warranty is the same as overall US.
But there was some mention in another thread possibly about the BMW that the CA warranty was longer and my recollection was that at some point in the past decade or two the CA emissions warranties were longer.
But I don't have the details.

Back