speedski97
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2013

Re: encounters w/other Leafers w/surprising lack of knowledge

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 am

So encounter was with A Uber driver at an LA DC fast charger. She wanted to buy a leaf, she was renting the Leaf she was driving for $4 an hour. She know the Fuel was free, knew the range of the car, and understood the charging of the car.She had no idea of no tune ups, no trans, and low upkeep. I thought it was a good way to introduce the car to a lot of people.

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:11 am

It is actually astounding. I took my recently purchased used 2012 Leaf with 25,000 plus miles to a local dealer for a (late) battery check and the records showed only two items - a (free) battery check and a (free) recall. The owner confirming that he had not done any other maintenance -- with the exception of new tires (likely the fun factor - wore out the fronts).
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

Woosie
Delivery Date: 11 May 2013

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Awesome posts all!! I guess you'd call me a knowledgable ignorant, because as an engineer I don't care much for GIDS (though I do know Gary), since I manage the battery using the percent indicator. Works great for my 40-50 daily commute.

I love that the car does not use energy [essentially] when stopped so traffic jams are non issue except for the time lost. Actually I love lots of things about the car though like many I wish it had more range.

Reminds me of a call I received from my daughter who drove the car all day once while I was on a business trip. She asked "Can I drive the Leaf to Palos Verdes (from Torrance CA) on 26%?" I said "You shouldn't because you don't want to stop for L2 charging if the Low Battery starts blinking." She understood exactly what I meant because she listened for a few minutes before I left for the trip.

Other people you encounter will also listen and learn some keep spreading the EV gospel and it'll catch on eventually.
Mike

36 month lease on a Slate Gray model S Leaf.
My other car is a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

kikngas
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 310377

Re: encounters w/other Leafers w/surprising lack of knowledg

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:21 pm

RegGuheert wrote: It takes MUCH less land area to fuel the BEV than to grow fuel (1/100th according to the link, but I suspect it may be more like 1/10th as much). In many cases, the area used to fuel the BEVs is roof area, so it does not consume ANY additional land.
Let's see, 43560 sq ft per acre... grows... say 180 bushels of corn, which produces roughly 2.5gal of ethanol per bushel (assuming no energy to plow, plant, spray, harvest, transport (grain), dry, process, distill, transport (ethanol), and blend... that's something on the order of 450 gallons per nice farmland acre per year. (But you can put solar panels on crappy farmland too!)

Take my 11,000 mile year example in my LEAF. If you could get 40MPG on pure ethanol, you would need about 0.6 acres per vehicle year. Compare this to the 8 solar panels (see my earlier post) that get me enough electricity to drive 11,000 miles per year (my actual first year's mileage, national avg is closer to 13,000). Each panel is about 77 x 39 inches nearly 21 sq. ft. Add say 30% overhead for square footage needed for access roads etc. 8 panels uses about 220 sq. ft.

So, for a year (at my 11,000mi/yr usage level) of fuel:
solar uses roughly 220 sq. ft.
Ethanol uses roughly 26,000 sq. ft. (more, MUCH MORE, if you add in the other ethanol energy costs I touched on).

Pretty incredible! With an acre of solar, you could fuel 200 cars! Consider how much land is consumed by 200 car owners and the streets to get to their homes etc. I mean each car owner probably has 220 sq. ft. just in parking lot or driveway or garage space.

What's more, if you STOPPED refining gasoline for those cars (each getting about 25MPG, and using 440 gallons per year), you'd save enough energy by NOT distilling the oil, to go another 4,500 miles per car. Even after converting that heat energy into electricity in an inefficient power plant, transmitting it through an inefficient grid, and charging a car with an inefficient inverter. Wonder how many miles you'd get out of STOPPING driving the tractor, and the semi, and running the distillery, and the fuel delivery, ...and all of the fuel for all of the people driving to those workplaces? For the solar side, you'd have to figure some energy costs (pretty high actually) to refine the silicon, process the panels, shipping and installation of the panels, but after that, it's clean and virtually free.

Lance96816
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 020193

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Before my LEAF, I drove a 1980 CommutaCar everday.
I never did worry about my carbon footprint because I left that problem with the electric company.
Never did care about cost comparing because my 1995 Chevy Astro was costing me $95/week, 1983 Honda Helix, $26/week, and my 1980 CommutaCar $24/Month.
So no problem deciding on a LEAF when my Chevy died.
More happy now that I installed a TOU/EV meter. Now I'm doing $18/Month.
Towing as expected does decrease the range/mileage, but it's to be expected even with an ICE vehicle.
The efficiency range will be different pulling a 2k load with a Altima versus a Rogue.
Just have to make sure your Tank/Batteries has enough Gas/Power to make the trip.
Knowledge is power!

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat May 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Ok, here's one, but with a Model S owner at the same free public charging who has had their car for 3 years. Sounds like she shares the car w/her husband.

She mixed up kW and kWh. We were talking about charging speeds and she blurted out some numbers about "17 kWh" and that the charging stations at the free public charging are that fast. I talked to her about how the Model S can have a 1 or 2 10 kW OBCs (and with the HPWC up to 80 amps, provided it's on the proper circuit and that DIP switches in the HPWC need to be set). Her car is a 60 kWh car (per the 60 badging). I also explained to her that EVSEs can be a bottleneck.

The EVSEs at this free public charging location are 30 amp, per their Clipper Creek labeling. I believe the line voltage is 208 volts (common commercial power), judging by what I see in Leaf Spy. I did the math for her showing 208 * 30 = 6240 watts or 6.24 kW and explained that after 1 hour, 6.24 kWh would've come from the wall.

I mentioned the Tesla UMC and how it can go from 120 volts to 240, up to 40 amps. I mentioned how usually at 120 volts, EVs are limited to charging at 12 amps at 120 volts, for 1.44 kW. But she doesn't charge at home. Again, she was confused and said... I thought oh... thought you could get 4 kW at 120 volts.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:02 pm

This one isn't that bad but I do wonder how many other Leafers have this misconception.

A few months ago at free L2 public charging, I unplugged a '13+ Leaf that was definitely done and I believe they had their charging lock switch rightfully set to AUTO. Anyhow, the young woman returned to her car and I told her I unplugged her because it was done. And yes, she knew about the AUTO position.

Then she remarked basically "oh... it's not quite full". She was going by the GOM and what that read. I told her essentially: nonono, look at the % SoC display and explained to her how the GOM "worked", in what cases it would be high, low, having miles go down rapidly or gaining them, etc.

I really wonder how many non-enthusiast Leafers believe their cars aren't getting fully charged because the GOM didn't return to some previous value or got "more full" because it was higher than a previous value.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jkline
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm not surprised that most people have no idea how a car works. Any car.

Lance96816
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 020193

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:19 pm

:l ol:Perfect car for dumb o manics...
Still get them...
Tire pressure? Every time when get new tires.
Oil & grease? As soon as the reminder light comes on. I'm at jiffy lube.
Transmission fluid? Jiffy Lube sends me reminders for that.
Brake fluid? Jiffy Lube takes care of everything.
How about washer fluids? Wait... Jiffy Lube right? Don't be silly! The car wash supplies their own.
Okay, I'm done. :lol: :roll:

gshepherd
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Many driers don't know their car's average MPG. All they need to know is how far a tank takes them. As EVs become more popular with the general consumer, we'll see fewer enthusiasts and more "I just drive it" folks. Same thing happened with hybrids. That the LEAF or Tesla can work well for a non-enthusiast is in itself impressive.
2016 LEAF SV

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”