ybitz wrote:No delay. The steering wheel airbag didn't go off, just the two driver side ones. Airbag deployment was loud and left my left ear ringing for awhile. And it was smokey.DNAinaGoodWay wrote:Your dash cam video captures your reaction nicely. Worried, but calm. It doesn't show the airbag deploying, was there a delay?
Oh, interesting tidbit. The firefighters asked me to turn off the car because they were afraid of being electrocuted (it was raining hard), but then asked me to put it into neutral so they could push it out of the way. I told them that for the Leaf, if I turn off the car, it gets out of the neutral mode and into park mode automatically. They didn't quite believe me at first and tried to push the car when it was off, and eventually relented to me turning the car back on so it could be put into neutral. Was I right, or is there a way to put it into neutral with the car off?
Oh, and after the impact, the Leaf refused to go back into drive mode, only Park and Neutral. Maybe it sensed the accident and disabled the drive functionality for safety reasons?
from another thread there is this quote
from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;LEARN how to put the car in Neutral without power (instructions are in manual, but it takes 2 people, and pulling some fuses)
I don't know if you could get to the fuses after the accident in your case or not.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that way if you did this you could actually leave the car off and in neutral to satisfy the firefighters concern.4-2 P (Park) Position Release Procedure
If you need to release the vehicle from the P (Park) position, proceed as follows. When power switch is turned OFF or 12V battery is low, LEAF automatically shifts to P position.
This procedure requires two (2) people.
1. To start the EV system with a booster battery, refer to 4. Jump Starting.
2. Turn power switch ON by pushing the power switch 2 times without pressing brake pedal.
3. Confirm parking brake is applied.
4. Close all doors and press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Place the selector lever in the N (Neutral) position.
6. Remove the following 2 fuses:
• F/L 40A PBW MTR (under hood fuse and relay box)
• METER 1 10A (in the cabin fuse box)
Insert a screwdriver wrapped with a protective cloth (A) into the slit (1). Pull to remove the fuse
box cover (2). Remove the fuse with the fuse puller (3).
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Turn the power switch OFF.
9. Release brake pedal.
Be sure to firmly position wheel chocks when P (Park) position is manually released.
4-2.1 Reset Procedure
1. Install the 2 fuses removed previously.
2. Turn the power switch ON and wait 5 seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Ensure selector
lever is in the N (neutral) position.
3. If 12V battery is low voltage, please charge with battery charger.
4. Turn the power switch OFF and wait 5 seconds.
Maybe every leaf should have a poster or pamphlet with this procedure in the frunk/glove compartment/cargo area so you could possibly pull it out and do this when the tow truck arrives or the firefighters ask you to. Or maybe just find this in the physical owners manual and pull that out when you need it.