Air Force Electric Fleet and V2G

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graycenphil

Interesting story, and it looks like they have mostly Leafs from the pictures. The story also males a big thing about V2G, or vehicle to grid, allowing thecars to supply the grid when needed.

Is the standard Leaf capable of this - can power flow both ways?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/tech/2014/11/14/electric-vehicle-fleet-los-angeles-afb/18982575/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vehicle to home / grid is possible with CHAdeMO v1.0.

It's simple for the car to be controlled to open and close the contactors to provide battery power through the CHAdeMO port.

The external hardware (that you have to buy) will invert the 300-400 volt DC battery power and turn that into common grid AC power.

(Thread resurrection)
Due to discussion elsewhere, I posted a response and realized the Air Force and V2G came up over here.

As I posted at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=576427#p576427:
Some guy mentioned an Air Force Base study involving Leafs that I'd not known about. Googling for site:.gov air force base leaf nissan leaf grid turned up https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2018publications/CEC-500-2018-025/CEC-500-2018-025.pdf which I've only skimmed.
LBNL procured 13 previously owned model year 2012 Nissan LEAFs (Table 2).
Nissan LEAFs sold in the U.S. have a software block to prevent bi-directional (i.e. battery discharging) capability. Enabling bi-directional capability in the LEAFs purchased with Energy Commission funds for the LAAFB V2G demonstration only required a software upgrade, which was performed by a Nissan technician in the field (this option is not currently available to the public). The software change consisted of upgrades to three systems: 1) lithium battery controller; 2) on-board charger; and 3) vehicle control module. The technicians who visited the Base used re-programming tools to make the upgrades. The process took about one hour per vehicle.

In addition to the changes made to the LEAFs, an additional piece of hardware was needed to enable bi-directional flow - the CHAdeMO connector, which connects the charging station and the vehicle to allow direct charge and discharge of the batteries in the EVs. This demonstration used the CHAdeMO standard version 0.9, which was developed by Nissan and Nichicon, an electrical hardware vendor, to provide a bi-directional connector for the Japanese market.

Once the software upgrade to enable bi-directionality was completed, some issues surfaced that led to delays and limited details shared about the upgrade.
Additionally, LBNL learned that with the software upgrade to the EVs, Nissan no longer considered the vehicles standard production models and voided the standard warranty. Under this Energy Commission agreement, LBNL purchased an extended warranty for the vehicles with some exceptions. Any issues related to the software change or discharge operation were no longer covered under the extended warranty. The software upgrades did not affect the drivability, on-road performance, or electrical safety of the LEAFs.

Back