Am I wrong to be angry?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Publius

I have a question about charge cord etiquette and workplace charging. I agreed to teach a few classes this semester at a college that requires a 70-mile round-trip commute (note my location: it was -12 one morning a couple weeks ago). I knew that it would be difficult, but I only plan on making this a regular thing. Before the semester started I asked if I would be allowed to use an outlet on campus until the weather warmed up. I was told that there aren't any outside outlets. However, in a moment of desperation (on a day when my typical fallback location was iced) I walked around campus and found a 20 amp outlet on a large paved surface near a courtyard. Perfect. I received permission before trying to use the outlet. I offered to pay for electric and provided my phone number in case of a problem. Security was notified that this was to be a recurring thing. Everything seemed good, although I knew that it may not last when the right-- or wrong-- people got wind of it. Fast forward a few days to today, I received a visit from security around Noon informing me that I would not be allowed to charge on campus anymore. The officer was nice about it and said I did not have to move my car today. Fair enough. However, when I went out to my car I found that it had been unplugged while charging (from the outlet, not the car) and the cord was sitting in a snowbank next to the outlet. There was also a lock on the outlet, as if I was trying to steal something. My phone tells me that the car was unplugged this morning, so I didn't get much charge and barely made it home. When I stop at charge stations en route I leave early to charge in the AM because I have to be home in the afternoon for my daughter. Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?

Publius said:
Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?
You're not wrong to be angry / frustrated.
Whoever did that should have called or at least left a note, but as for who to be angry at??
It wouldn't surprise me if you aren't allowed anymore because someone complained, and that it might have been that same someone who unplugged you... Or they might have been the ones who pressured security to unplug you if they did..

I'd look for someone driving a really big pickup truck.. ;-) :) Kidding about that.. (although..)

Someone probably assumed you were taking the electricity that "they" pay for...
Probably wouldn't even matter to them that you offered to pay..

People..

;-)

Just don't be too frustrated / angry.. Not worth it in the long run..

desiv

desiv said:
Publius said:
Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?
You're not wrong to be angry / frustrated.
Whoever did that should have called or at least left a note, but as for who to be angry at??
It wouldn't surprise me if you aren't allowed anymore because someone complained, and that it might have been that same someone who unplugged you... Or they might have been the ones who pressured security to unplug you if they did..

I'd look for someone driving a really big pickup truck.. ;-) :) Kidding about that.. (although..)

Someone probably assumed you were taking the electricity that "they" pay for...
Probably wouldn't even matter to them that you offered to pay..

People..

;-)

desiv

Thanks, it is a rural college with a lot of big trucks... ;-)

No, you're not, but there's also not much point to it. Yes, the one who unplugged you on the spot was being a jerk, but he probably doesn't know just how much of a jerk he was.

Okay I have to ask what college campus (I'll stereotype too), especially in NY, would be so unfriendly to EVs? Most college campuses raced to get charging stations and special parking on their campus to promote hybrid and electric vehicles. If you note my location at least one (some might argue both) of them is not in a "blue" state. I'm just a bit surprised by such an attitude on a college campus.

New York, while often viewed by people in other states as a "Blue" state, is actually "Purple", with more conservative folks occupying most of the land area, and the Liberals concentrated in a few large cities. Even SUNY Albany installed exactly one charging station, and then blocked it for outside use for months. SUNY Cobleskil (sp?) could be dropped right into Kansas and would fit nicely.

I have done several hundred hours of volunteer trail work at a nearby state park. Occasionally, my wife and I had been going up and picking up trash in the park for a couple of hours at a time while plugged in to one of the seldom used RV 14-50 outlets leaving a sign that it is okay to unplug. I recently introduced myself to the new ranger at a trail volunteer recognition function. He said the outlets were for RV's only and that I was never again to use one. Pretty much a letter of the law man.

I am a spirit of the law type. He can pick up his own trash. ;)

You might see the person who signed off on your contract with the college and see if you can get an addition or amendment to it allowing you to use an outlet. Its my understanding that community colleges have a need for competent part time instructors and you have some clout here.

jpadc said:
Okay I have to ask what college campus (I'll stereotype too), especially in NY, would be so unfriendly to EVs? Most college campuses raced to get charging stations and special parking on their campus to promote hybrid and electric vehicles. If you note my location at least one (some might argue both) of them is not in a "blue" state. I'm just a bit surprised by such an attitude on a college campus.

The rural communities of Upstate NY are often quite conservative. Let's just say that the college is in one of those areas. My car is also the first EV on the campus-- they may have a couple hybrids, though (and I'm not talking about the Volt). However, it's not just rural colleges that have failed to embrace EVs, few in my area have. Upstate NY might as well be on a different planet than NYC.

I think you should have talked to your boss as soon as security brought up the issue.
Just explain the job is not going to work out as well as you thought.

I had a similar thing happen where I work.

Find a sponsor (someone in upper management who is friendly to the idea of charging at work) or speak with the manager who gave you permission in the first place, and then with that person, attempt to address their concerns through the proper channels (typically HR). They are usually:

1) Safety. This can be resolved with a $15 GFCI and a $15 'while in use' box. If maintenance can't do it, a licensed contractor probably would for less than $100. Offer to pay for it.

2) Cost. This can be resolved by offering to pay for whatever electricity you use. Speak with someone from AP and ask them what they are paying per kWh for electricity, then offer to connect a Kill-a-Watt, and pay per kWh. It will be pennies per day.

3) Preferential treatment. This happens all the time in workplaces. If they truly value you as an employee, they won't make a big deal about this. Also, offering to pay for the plug and electricity will eliminate this concern entirely.

LeftieBiker said:
New York, while often viewed by people in other states as a "Blue" state, is actually "Purple", with more conservative folks occupying most of the land area, and the Liberals concentrated in a few large cities.
That is very true as red versus blue states is in reality almost everywhere rural vs. urban. However college campuses, even in very conservative areas, lean left. I agree with other poster who encouraged you to go to the dept. head / dean and say - I can finish the semester, but if you can't find me a way to charge here (at my expense) I can't work here. If you are willing to work for adjunct pay, there is no end to the number of universities that will want you.

Sorry for your experience. Just be glad you had all the approvals and were proactive. Thanks for being such a good steward of electrification. There is always that "one" person who will be a jerk. I've pretty much given up here in the rural red. They allow RVs to charge, maybe head bolt heaters on gas vehicles (in the super cold areas), but try to plug in an EV and the whole world will come down. Just for fun, if you want to find out who caused the ruckus, arrive early and park very close to the receptacle like you're trying to hide something, and then set up a video camera (or just hang out watching from a remote location).

Edit: Here are the consequences of not obtaining permission: http://insideevs.com/tag/ev-steals-electricity/

Reddy. Nope. not even close. that had nothing to do with not obtaining permission.

it had everything to do with he was ALREADY BANNED from being on the premisses (nothing to do with his leaf)

AND was a "douchnozzle" to the cops.

so they decided OK we are going to have fun with you if you want to be a dick.

had he eaten some humble pie shut his damned pie hole and said I am sorry. I know I should not be here I will leave immediately I am very sorry. NOTHING would have happened.

but no. he had to go and be a dick. trust me that had NOTHING to do with stolen electricity and everything to do with him being a dick to some cops and the cops deciding how can we teach this guy a lesson in humility.

Arguably, didn't the person who unplugged you break a/the law? If so, not only are you not wrong to be angry, but you might be able to file a case and possibly press charges. (No?)

Even if they didn't break a law though, I don't think you're wrong to be angry. And I can't believe that a college can not or will not make arrangements for you to charge safely and securely for however many days per week that you visit. First, electricity is cheap (I think people have an exaggerated sense of its cost or how much the car "draws"), and second, you'd be paying for it!

You probably got caught up in the bureaucratic mess involved in running a large place like that.

So someone made a decision that you can't plug in and at the same time wanted to make sure that the outlet doesn't get used anymore. They send security to tell you that you can't use it anymore but don't have to move it and at the same time they get maintenance to put a lock on the outlet. Since maintenance and security aren't working together, and probably have no idea that each has been told one thing the message you get from them is only related to what you have to do from now on, ie don't use it again and you don't have to move it today. Maintenance has been told you were told not to use it then they find out that you're plugged in when they get there to put a lock on. Can you blame them for unplugging you to do their job? They have been told to put a lock on and that you have been told not to use it so they unplug you and put a lock on.

Can you blame the person directing the 2 people? If they think it's just like any other electrical device if it's plugged in you can unplug it anytime. They might have thought they were doing you a favour by not making you go unplug it yourself and letting you stay that way until maintenance got there.

You shouldn't focus on how they proceeded after making that decision but focus on the fact that they made the wrong decision.

desiv said:

desiv

Just wanted to vent/rant for a minute, and found this old post to do it ;)

Just over the weekend, I was staying at a hotel in a country area with not many charging options around around 70 miles from home.

This hotel had nice 20A outlets so I was using my Zencar limited at 19A, and I could get a nice 25 miles out of 2 hours of charging, usually every evening. The hotel was ok with me charging... I parked in a far away corner and bothered no one ... except ...

Ok I get to the point now.
On my last dayI figured I would plug in overnight so I could get up to a fully charged car, to leave early in the morning...

I go outside to load up my car, and the first thing I noticed is the Zencar is all dark, I panicked and though, oh crap I tripped the breaker; then I look at the outlet... lo and behold, my cord is unplugged sitting on the ground.

Panic quickly turns into anger ... and guess what's parked in that area of the parking lot?

Not to be stereotypical, but there are 3 big 4x4 pickups, each with a 4 wheeler sitting in the bed...

I'm willing to bet it wasn't he lady in the Ford Fiesta who unplugged my charger from the wall.

The car was at 44%, it sucked, I couldn't wait hours to got more charge to drive home.

I drove with no A/C (FL, 90F high humidity) way below the speed limit, so I could make it to the closest L2 charger about half way home, where I'd sit for about an hour reading a book while waiting to get enough juice to get home.

Thanks for listening
/Rant over

LeftieBiker said:
New York, while often viewed by people in other states as a "Blue" state, is actually "Purple", with more conservative folks occupying most of the land area, and the Liberals concentrated in a few large cities.

Might have something to do with your current governor (blue), the current mayor of your largest city (blue), and the fact that every senator from your state since 1999 has been from the Democratic Party, including a recent failed Presidential candidate.

California is a blue state even though there are probably more red counties than blue. However like with New York, the population is concentrated in specific areas that tend to vote left over right and thus drive the state’s politics. It’s hardly “purple” when our local Senate has a supermajority of Democrats.

Nevada is a much better example of a purple state, thanks to migration (fleeing?) of Californians to there.

Back