Carrying canoes/kayaks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

All the threads on roof racks seem to be a couple of years old. Obviously installing a permanent roof rack negatively affects range. Has anyone carried canoes or kayaks with foam blocks on the roof of their Leaf? How did it go? I'd like to be able to transport a boat 5-10 times a year to the local river, and putting on and taking off a yakima rack just for those trips takes way too long. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I just put the seats down and push the kayak forward until it hits the windshield. You can fit a shorter kayak completely in the car - for longer ones, secure the hatch with a bungee rope.

Rogue said:
All the threads on roof racks seem to be a couple of years old. Obviously installing a permanent roof rack negatively affects range. Has anyone carried canoes or kayaks with foam blocks on the roof of their Leaf? How did it go? I'd like to be able to transport a boat 5-10 times a year to the local river, and putting on and taking off a yakima rack just for those trips takes way too long. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I have Thule roof racks that I find easy to install and remove. Yakima also has similar racks.

I've carried my canoe on the roof a number of times on foam blocks and it has worked fine for us. I tie the front rope to the tow hook and the rear rope to the hitch I installed. Paddles fit in the rear hatch, along with enough camping gear for two adults and 2 kids for a weekend trip!

Back