desiv
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Reddy wrote: Wow! Congratulations and good to see lots of gas miles being converted to electric! Watch out Steve, here's another high mileage Leafer on your tail :lol:
Well, so far so good.
I've been getting more and more confident with how "low" I can go. (Never too low.. ;-) )
Initially, the GOM did have me convinced I might not be able to make some things (even tho I had read on here all about how off it is, but still when it starts to drop...;) ) that now I know I can make easily.
(Using Leaf Spy Pro to watch the SoC% )

So yes, I can make it one way so far without issue..
There are some hills, but they really aren't that bad (The "pass" is under 1000 feet).

Without heat (haven't tested the effect the heater has yet very much; then again, it hasn't been too cold here since i got the car (we had some 20's before I got it)), I know I can make it from a nearish full charge to work or to home with 20+ miles to spare (driving nicely).
I'll start trying to add a bit more speed (I don't want to fly, but when someone's behind me, I like to be polite.. ;) ) and throw in some more heat here and there..

I know that will go down over time, but so far, so good.

The only bummer is that there is no good charging option at work. ;-(
I work for "the State" and while Oregon has been pretty good for the public (of which I'm a proud member!) with the chargers and such, there isn't much incentive for EVers as employees.
That means I can make it there easily, but charging while at work is tricky.

There are a few quick chargers, but that's still 30 minutes to 75%-80%. I can do that on my lunch if someone isn't already charging, but not something I relish needing to do every day.
And if I want to get closer to 100% to make it all the way home, that's nearer an hour.

A level 2 charge would work (I've got the 3.3 charger), but it would take most of the day.
And I don't want to spend the money blink charges every day.
(That said, I've used the Blinks a few times here, and that's how I know I can make it back to home easily.)
And my work isn't going to put in a Level 2 for me.. ;-)
Too bad they don't even have a viable trickle charge option at work, because I bet that would get me back to the mid-point. Then I would just have to be charged at home, drive to work. Trickle for 9 hours and that should get me to the mid-point with the fast charger. 20 minutes would then get me back home. Oh well..

Just means I have to be a bit more flexible, but so far it's no problem.

That said, the wife and I love the Leaf so far.

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

desiv wrote:...There are some hills, but they really aren't that bad (The "pass" is under 1000 feet)...
It's all relative:
Image
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

desiv
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:19 am

LOL :lol:

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

electricvw
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 pm

Just picked up my Second Leaf. I sold my first one and picked up a brand new 2015 Steel Grey with Black Leather Interior. I got all the bells and whistles as I did on my first 2011 Leaf. Grand total of 52 miles right now. I did not like the battery pack life but love the Leaf. This time I leased the Leaf so I have an opportunity to just hand it back or upgrade in 3 years. Im hoping for a much improved design by the time the Lease is over. I know the vehicle will do what I need for that time. I know I will go over the mileage limits but not buy much. So just had to post my new purchase today.

Pete :)
New 2015 Leaf Purchased 2-11-15
I still want a light Sage Green Leaf
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steel Grey/ Black Leather Full pack of goodies.
Number#322820
52 miles current as of 2-11-15


Sold: Number# 003377

RonDawg
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 pm

electricvw wrote:Just picked up my Second Leaf. I sold my first one and picked up a brand new 2015 Steel Grey with Black Leather Interior. I got all the bells and whistles as I did on my first 2011 Leaf. Grand total of 52 miles right now. I did not like the battery pack life but love the Leaf. This time I leased the Leaf so I have an opportunity to just hand it back or upgrade in 3 years. Im hoping for a much improved design by the time the Lease is over. I know the vehicle will do what I need for that time. I know I will go over the mileage limits but not buy much. So just had to post my new purchase today.

Pete :)
Congrats. There's often a lot of negativity from early adopters so it's nice to see when someone is willing to give the Leaf another chance despite their experiences with the car and/or Nissan USA.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

topoisomerase
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2015
Leaf Number: 324156
Location: San Francisco area

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:40 pm

hi! i'm super new here so hopefully i'm following the right protocol :)

i just got my Leaf, a gunmetal gray 2015 S, this past Monday 2/16. i got it with the fast charger option. i'm very happy so far, and this is also my first EV after driving a 2010 Prius hybrid for the past 5 years.

so far this forum is a really great resource! that's all for now :)

thanks!

jason
2015 Gun-metal gray S w/QC, 3-year lease, 2/2015+

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 pm

The Prius seems to be the number one "Gateway Car" to the Leaf. When it doesn't lead to Leaf ownership it often leads to the acquisition of a Prius PHEV...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mbender
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 am
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2014
Leaf Number: 309606
Location: The Great California Delta, and environs

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 am

Welcome, Jason. I've got the "exact" same car, and love it -- for two reasons in particular:
  1. The two-year "No Charge to Charge" program that was offered in my area, which I hope you received as well*. I quick charge quite frequently and have save a LOT of money in doing so for free.
  2. If you use cruise control with any regularity, you'll be happy to know that 2015 is the first model year that it was offered on the S.
I'm also glad to see that you moved up ;-) from a Prius. I'm upset with Toyota for not producing a pure battery EV (or BEV). We could be so much further along had they put their muscle into it. But that's another (and "off-topic") story!

Hope you learn a lot here and enjoy your years with the LEAF.

* The only part of the protocol you're missing is entering your location into your profile so people don't need to repeatedly ask or figure it out. You might also wish to add a signature while you're there.
topoisomerase wrote:hi! i'm super new here so hopefully i'm following the right protocol :)

i just got my Leaf, a gunmetal gray 2015 S, this past Monday 2/16. i got it with the fast charger option. i'm very happy so far, and this is also my first EV after driving a 2010 Prius hybrid for the past 5 years.

so far this forum is a really great resource! that's all for now :)

thanks!

jason
I think I just felt my paradigm shift.

2012 SL (One of the colors): 2-year lease, 2012+,
2015 S w/QC (A different color): 3-year lease, 2014+,
2017 SV (Same color as 2015 S): 3-year lease, 2017+, lower monthly than either above(!)

topoisomerase
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2015
Leaf Number: 324156
Location: San Francisco area

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:53 am

yep, i did get the NC2C program, which is great. i've already used the QC location closest to my home. my commute is not terribly long at 22 mi. each way. i have L2 charging at work so i only need to plug in for ~1:15 to go from ~65%-100% (based on this week's driving habits, temperature, etc). i then charge at home using my upgraded EVSE with an L6-20 outlet i already had in my garage.

i've learned a lot already and am sure that will only continue!

thanks for the tip. i upgraded my location and added a signature.
-j
mbender wrote:Welcome, Jason. I've got the "exact" same car, and love it -- for two reasons in particular:
  1. The two-year "No Charge to Charge" program that was offered in my area, which I hope you received as well*. I quick charge quite frequently and have save a LOT of money in doing so for free.
  2. If you use cruise control with any regularity, you'll be happy to know that 2015 is the first model year that it was offered on the S.
I'm also glad to see that you moved up ;-) from a Prius. I'm upset with Toyota for not producing a pure battery EV (or BEV). We could be so much further along had they put their muscle into it. But that's another (and "off-topic") story!

Hope you learn a lot here and enjoy your years with the LEAF.

* The only part of the protocol you're missing is entering your location into your profile so people don't need to repeatedly ask or figure it out. You might also wish to add a signature while you're there.
topoisomerase wrote:hi! i'm super new here so hopefully i'm following the right protocol :)

i just got my Leaf, a gunmetal gray 2015 S, this past Monday 2/16. i got it with the fast charger option. i'm very happy so far, and this is also my first EV after driving a 2010 Prius hybrid for the past 5 years.

so far this forum is a really great resource! that's all for now :)

thanks!

jason
2015 Gun-metal gray S w/QC, 3-year lease, 2/2015+

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:36 pm

electricvw wrote:Just picked up my Second Leaf. I sold my first one and picked up a brand new 2015 Steel Grey with Black Leather Interior. I got all the bells and whistles as I did on my first 2011 Leaf. Grand total of 52 miles right now. I did not like the battery pack life but love the Leaf. This time I leased the Leaf so I have an opportunity to just hand it back or upgrade in 3 years. Im hoping for a much improved design by the time the Lease is over. I know the vehicle will do what I need for that time. I know I will go over the mileage limits but not buy much. So just had to post my new purchase today.

Pete :)
Congrats Pete :D

In the other thread on range you said the following:
electricvw wrote: My Leaf has crappy range and I did not buy a nice vehicle with heat and air just to keep them off so I can drive the car. If I wanted a car without heat or air I would have purchased an old VW Bus.

...

My car is ready for its 48 month check up. I want to be armed with MY information before taking it into the dealer. The dealer is 45 miles away. Think I will make it? I don't. I hope I have to call for a tow. I'll post the results.
Did you make it to the dealer or did it have to be towed to the dealer to trade it in for the new car?

Or did they swap it for you in your driveway.

My 2011 was delivered to my driveway.
Interesting way to get a new car.

I bet you really like the heat pump heater :D

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”