Any other 6 year owners out there?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

As my car just passed 6 years of ownership, I was just curious how many of the other original owners still have and drive their car 6 years later? It seems the number is pretty small since most were leases or have since traded to a new Leaf or into the Tesla family.

Not quite 6 years yet, but by the end of the summer. 38,000 mi and counting. While the resale value is low, at least I didn't throw money away on two leases with nothing to show for it. Remember, the initial lease was near $400/mo.

Took delivery of VIN #191 in January 2011. Still have it and drive it every day...Almost 50K miles...Have 8 bars of capacity (lost 4 bars)...

Useful range is about 35 miles on freeway, slightly more on city streets...

I've been very happy with the car, except for the battery...

May 16 Edit: Even though I'm way out of the battery capacity warranty, I called Nissan to see if they would offer assistance on a battery replacement. I had a battery test done at the local dealer, and Nissan offered me an 80% / 20% replacement deal, so I had my battery replaced recently for about $1,230...Happy camper....Guess-o-meter now reaches over 100 with full charge and some down-hill....I smile even though I know I can't go quite that far...And getting the regen function back is very nice as well...Thanks, Nissan....

6 years in June. Close to 73000 miles, SOH 75, lost 2 bars, 48.7 Ah, daily driver. Trouble free, stil have the original 12 V battery.
Plan to put in a new battery this summer or next, DIY.

6 years in April, 14K miles, all powered by the sun. Was among the first dozen or so in HI. Just replaced the main battery (original was down only 2 bars, but I began to wonder about future availability of the 24s.) Still quite happy with it -- and now that the kids are off to college, we don't have to compete to drive it. :D

Nice to see there are still a good size group of us with the car six years on. We still use the car daily. We have almost 60k miles and are about to lose our 4th bar. We use it for my wife's around town car, so fortunately don't need long range. It has been a good car for the task, and will probably continue to do so for a while to come. We are also looking to purchase a Model 3, but I'm not sure if it will replace our Leaf or the Spark EV.

6 years, 3 months and going strong. New battery under warranty last year did a lot to make me feel better about ownership, but other than a hub bearing going bad (also fixed under warranty) and some of the door trim not holding up as well as I would have expected it to, there really hasn't been much else to complain about. I'm still on my original 12v battery, which I always had concerns about, and am still on the original brake pads after 66,500 miles (though I'm down to visually checking them every couple of weeks now).

That said, the fact that I'm out of extended warranty as well now does make me a little nervous - the first major repair on a car that's only worth a few thousand dollars... I'm going to have to think about taking that route real hard. Hopefully it'll be a good ways into the future!

So providing it does remain trouble free, I'm going to stay with it until I feel like I can afford to take on another vehicle purchase or l have a change in life that requires it. Personally, I'm thinking that new car will be the Chevy Bolt at this point, being as my wife's Volt has held up pretty well the last 3.5 years. However, I'm not 100% sure yet how I feel about a slightly smaller car. It really shouldn't be a problem - I rarely have more than 2 people in the vehicle, and can only think of one time in the last 6 years that I've needed to have room for 5, but it's a concern nonetheless.

I’ve still got my 2011 here in Seattle and I still drive for 90% of my daily driving. I’ve lost 5 bars and can go about 35 miles per charge. At 112k miles, I’ve now driven it as far as I had hoped to get the pack to last. I’m very much in a wait and see mode to determine how much more I can go before replacement is needed.

Maintenance has been light, very much like I hoped. On my 3rd set of tires, new struts and strut bearings, a few brake fluid changes, driver window switch failure – that’s about it. Brake pads are still good, 12v battery is still working (but weak), brakes are still grabby…

But boy do I miss having regen!

6 years, 1 day :) I don't drive as much as I used to but I still do about 1,500 miles per month. 101,000 Gasoline-free miles so far!!

Not quite there yet but have no plans to sell for 4 more years. A new pack installed last year was a game changer. Almost 110k miles on the clock. Putting 2,000 monthly miles fully covered by solar, can't beat that, well, not counting VW diesel buyback ;)

I will have six years in June, Leaf has almost 60,000 miles. Capacity at 46.6 Ah. Plan to keep Leaf another 12-18 months, then look at what is available to replace it (or get Cor to put in replacement cells in current battery). Leaf will probably go to a family member who can make do with 40-50 mile range.

Six years in early July. 93,500 miles and rolling. New Lizard battery under warranty 1 year, 11 months ago. Other than that, just tires and a cabin air filter. Wondering how much longer the 12v battery and brakes will last, though.

Still happy to be driving electric, but with the current choices, I probably won't be looking at another Nissan anytime soon.

Will be 6 years in June. About 40,000 miles. Expect to lose my fourth capacity bar this summer. Hope Nissan will pay for a good part of the replacement. Other than the battery degradation, have been quite happy with the car.

jhm614 said:
6 years, 1 day :) I don't drive as much as I used to but I still do about 1,500 miles per month. 101,000 Gasoline-free miles so far!!

WOW! Doing that much on 8 bars is a real accomplishment!

Back