First damage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I always felt the tips of the tail lamps had the potential to be quite prone to damage, being as they are fairly low and extend into the bumpers. And sure enough, almost like I was wishing it on myself, some kind soul managed to crack the bottom of my right hand tail lamp. Fortunately no paint damage at all, so easily rectified by replacing the lamp housing if it's still bothering me as much down the line a ways.

BTW, for anyone wondering why I'm that bothered about such small issues...I'm particularly retentive about my things, liking to keep them as nice as possible for as long as possible. Some might say anally so. It's a real cross to bear sometimes. :?

broken.jpg

Oh no! Did you see it happen or did they leave a note? I agree, it's nice to keep a new car looking new as long as possible.

That is an amazing chip. Hard to see how they managed to just hit THAT point. In any case, always hard to see that first little 'chip'. Thankfully, that is an easy one to correct....

sjfotos said:
That is an amazing chip. Hard to see how they managed to just hit THAT point. In any case, always hard to see that first little 'chip'. Thankfully, that is an easy one to correct....

Enormous 4X4 with high doors is my guess.

mwalsh said:
jcesare said:
Enormous 4X4 with high doors is my guess.

Yeah, I was thinking door ding myself. Though they would have to been parked pretty oddly to have their doors near my tail end.

The back doors on my Durango have an arch cut into them for the wheel well and would if opened right just hit about the same level as that on my Leaf.

It's a door ding from an SUV back door I bet.

I feel your pain, Mike. I'd be feeling the same way. I like to keep my cars looking new as long as possible.

It was probably someone from "Big Oil". ;)

Just to explore other possibilities.. since it's just the corner of the light and not the painted surface, is it possible that the corner was 'stressed' abnormally?

That is, if nobody hit the car, what could it have been? Something pressing up on the bumper could press on the corner and eventually cause a stress fracture.

I'd be curious to go to the other corner or another car and see if there's a really tight fit between bumper and tail-light or somesuch. Or a metal bracket underneath. Something that might impinge on the taillight when the car flexes?

Just thinking outside the more-likely scenario of door-ding-impact.

mwalsh said:
derekjsmith said:
It's a door ding from an SUV back door I bet.

Well, at least it's a replaceable part and not the paint........yet. :?

How is your commute? Do you encounter many trucks on the freeway portion? I'll be going up and down I-880 with mine, and that freeway is loaded with trucks that drop pebbles, foam, wood, you name it. My rule is never follow one directly, but always have some kind of buffer. The prius lasted almost 3 years without a major calamity, but sad to say it finally happened :cry:

Back