User avatar
SalisburySam
Gold Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm
They missed their chance to carve out a market niche.
The only opportunity they had was when Nissan locked down battery replacements at $8,500 each and there was no way to do any kind of range upgrade.
Now you can get a new bigger battery for $5,500 from Nissan or an upgrade to the big Nissan battery for several thousand more.
Fenix is irrelevant now.
Sadly, I agree. I keep looking at my 35-mile-or-so 2012 SL. A new battery at best nets me an additional 40 miles or so. Still too short a range for all but short errands. Although I was an early depositor with Fenix, I am not so enamored with retaining the 2012 as I once was. I have not asked for the deposit back, but it looks like I will. Disappointing indeed today.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 35-mile max range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 14,400 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

cwerdna
Posts: 10595
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Wed May 20, 2020 12:52 pm

^^^
Would be curious to know how long it takes for your refund to arrive.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14819
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 am

SalisburySam wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 am
Oilpan4 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm
They missed their chance to carve out a market niche.
The only opportunity they had was when Nissan locked down battery replacements at $8,500 each and there was no way to do any kind of range upgrade.
Now you can get a new bigger battery for $5,500 from Nissan or an upgrade to the big Nissan battery for several thousand more.
Fenix is irrelevant now.
Sadly, I agree. I keep looking at my 35-mile-or-so 2012 SL. A new battery at best nets me an additional 40 miles or so. Still too short a range for all but short errands. Although I was an early depositor with Fenix, I am not so enamored with retaining the 2012 as I once was. I have not asked for the deposit back, but it looks like I will. Disappointing indeed today.
I know it will be tough but hold on to that car for another year if you can. Aftermarket options are no longer a dream. I know of 8 Gen one LEAFs upgraded to 40 kwh salvage packs and I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.

This is happening because everyone is allowing what they know to be used in by other shops. The US might have the largest used LEAF inventory but all the thanks to due to innovators in Canada, The Netherlands and New Zealand. You know who they are.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190
Location: Central NJ
Contact: ICQ Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 am

I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.
Dave, I have 16 companies on my list and it keeps growing. 13 to 14 of them have installed salvaged packs into old LEAFs.

I have the list here on a post from 3 days ago and also available by clicking this URL: http://NewLEAFbattery.com/

Fenix May still prove useful if they can get the ball rolling and are able to do their monthly payment plan.

I’m still at a point financially that $99 a month is a lot easier than paying $8000 in one shot.

Sal
For a list of aftermarket LEAF battery installers click the URL below: (If you are or know another that is not on my list please let me know so I can add them. Thanks!)

For more info click here: http://NewLEAFbattery.com

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14819
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Thu May 21, 2020 7:53 am

UBUYGAS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 am
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 am

I am only tracking a few places. Its all a matter of when someone in your region will pick up the ball and run with it.
Dave, I have 16 companies on my list and it keeps growing. 13 to 14 of them have installed salvaged packs into old LEAFs.

I have the list here on a post from 3 days ago and also available by clicking this URL: http://NewLEAFbattery.com/

Fenix May still prove useful if they can get the ball rolling and are able to do their monthly payment plan.

I’m still at a point financially that $99 a month is a lot easier than paying $8000 in one shot.

Sal
Might be an idea to start a thread tracking these companies "after" they have had a successful install?
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 am

Texas has been exceptionally tough on the Leaf battery pack (as other "hot" states). Has anyone found a successful business doing Leaf pack replacements within the Texas/Lousiana area? There are always several really cheap 2012/2013 Leafs in great physical shape with a failing heart :mrgreen: in my Houston area. I'd like to recommend these to colleagues that want an affordable EV experience, but knowing the limited range and continued degradation, cannot do it!
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

johnlocke
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:06 am

I've been getting Fenix e-mails touting CPO battery replacements. Still no word on an actual new battery or even a prototype. What i'd like to see is a 40KWH new battery at a minimum. I could get by on a 40KWH that stayed as a 40KWH ( I.E. their battery as a service plan). A 50KWH or even a 60KWH would be better. So far though, I don't see an actual product, just hype about replacement services with pre-owned batteries.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:34 am

Marktm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 am
Texas has been exceptionally tough on the Leaf battery pack (as other "hot" states). Has anyone found a successful business doing Leaf pack replacements within the Texas/Lousiana area? There are always several really cheap 2012/2013 Leafs in great physical shape with a failing heart :mrgreen: in my Houston area. I'd like to recommend these to colleagues that want an affordable EV experience, but knowing the limited range and continued degradation, cannot do it!
I feel your pain! I have one shop in Dallas that has shown interest, but am reluctant to post their name as they have not (yet) done one so I cannot provide a reference. I am down 2 bars on my second battery pack (much better than the first), and am giving serious consideration to a 40kWh upgrade next summer (2021). I am hoping I can buy a (new) 40kWh pack directly from Nissan, but will obviously consider a salvage pack if I can find a source.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
Marktm
Gold Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Stanton wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:34 am

I feel your pain! I have one shop in Dallas that has shown interest, but am reluctant to post their name as they have not (yet) done one so I cannot provide a reference. I am down 2 bars on my second battery pack (much better than the first), and am giving serious consideration to a 40kWh upgrade next summer (2021). I am hoping I can buy a (new) 40kWh pack directly from Nissan, but will obviously consider a salvage pack if I can find a source.
We don't give up as the car itself is quite amazing - just often needs a new "ticker".
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

cwerdna
Posts: 10595
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Fenix Power: A new third party battery replacement?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 am

https://fenix.systems/news/fenix-news/2 ... rst-flight talks about June 21st and
What’s a flight? And why is boarding ending?

In order to find a good balance between fast delivery and optimized shipping, we are adopting a deployment plan that steps right into a long-term installation cadence. To achieve this, instead of having just one launch, we have 16 launches each year, each launch starts a group of new customers away from battery worries. We’re calling these groups; Flights, and here’s how they will work:

Every flight will last up to 10 weeks, most will be closer to 8.
The first 3 weeks are open for “Boarding”, essentially the sign-up period.
Week 4 batteries begin to ship to installers.
Week 5 installation scheduling begins.
Weeks 6-9 Battery installations.
Weeks 10+ Enjoying that new car feeling all over again!

Since we’re starting in the middle of 2020, our first Flight didn’t start boarding until, the first week of June, week 23, which means we will only have 10 Flights this year. While we already have quite a few of you checked in for Flight 1, boarding for Flight 1 will be closing faster than you think! All of our weeks begin on Monday and end Sunday night, so boarding for our inaugural flight is scheduled to end today, Sunday, June 21st!
It lists 14 areas and if I counted correctly, we should start hearing about installation of "CPO" Leaf batteries beginning the week of July 19th.

Will be interesting to see if anything materializes...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”