HerdingElectrons
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018
Location: Central Coast, Ca

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm

DFTBA wrote:
HerdingElectrons wrote:I for one hope he's not banned because you might as well be in an authoritarian state if you like that sort of censorship. I prefer to allow people to read all of the viewpoints & then one can choose the side or position on any particular issue they want.
All right, let's dive into your viewpoint.
So, you consider SageBrush's off topic remarks and blatantly incorrect information a "viewpoint"? Do you consider SageBrush's antagonist writing, hostile attitude and attacks "viewpoints"? Do you consider SageBrush's snarky comments helpful? Do you prefer the toxic environment produced by this very young man? If so, why? Let's chat!
I do not prefer of any his "behavior" on this & other threads throughout this forum & his behavior is very different in other car forums so I find that anecdotal evidence personally curious but ultimately irrelevant.

I also do NOT agree with his POV & I believe he's maybe coming at this from a well intentioned perspective albeit a very narrow minded one IMO. Speaking from my experience he's either very young or extraordinary sheltered & no amount of internet banter is going to change that. It will take a paradigm shift within his personal sphere of influence to effect meaningful change to enable greater perspective beyond his current personal opinion &/or awareness.

Yes all that he has typed is plainly his viewpoint or else he would not have typed them. We as independent humans have the ability if we choose to discern from what we want to believe & what we don't. If the differing points of view are not allowed to be disseminated then this forum becomes yet another self serving echo chamber & the value of the information here plummets as a consequence.

If one is personally annoyed or offended he & anyone else can be ignored & the impact is minimal on yourself.

To summarize freedom of speech requires a great degree of tolerance of all parties to allow the speech no matter how much you disagree because there's certainly someone else out there with the complete opposite viewpoint of all of us.
2018 SL Pearl White 4.2/3.7 Warm/Cold weather

09/2018 @ 1,000 miles: AHr= 114.52 / SOH= 99.20 / HX= 099.70%
04/2019 @ 10,500 miles: Ahr= 111.45 / SOH= 96.54 / HX= 113.82%
07/2019 @ 14,200 miles: Ahr= 110.52 / SOH= 95.74 / HX= 111.12%

HerdingElectrons
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018
Location: Central Coast, Ca

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm

SageBrush wrote: Funny. Next you will be arguing that my salary used to buy a Tesla is paid for by other people's money so my car is actually their car.
I would prefer that you ask rather than project my perspective in the future. Also that's a very bizarre position to take & could be applied to ANY purchase of any vehicle much less any item of value that's held by a single entity which to me is utterly nonsensical.

That being said, if you are claiming the any of the tax benefits/rebates on a federal or state level then others are most certainly subsidizing the purchase of your car.

And if you are financially benefiting from the tax/rebates, then your position about non Tesla cars using a Tesla EVSE via an adapter with owner permission is very hypocritical in my opinion.
2018 SL Pearl White 4.2/3.7 Warm/Cold weather

09/2018 @ 1,000 miles: AHr= 114.52 / SOH= 99.20 / HX= 099.70%
04/2019 @ 10,500 miles: Ahr= 111.45 / SOH= 96.54 / HX= 113.82%
07/2019 @ 14,200 miles: Ahr= 110.52 / SOH= 95.74 / HX= 111.12%

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm

HerdingElectrons wrote:Also that's a very bizarre position to take & could be applied to ANY purchase of any vehicle much less any item of value that's held by a single entity which to me is utterly nonsensical.
Indeed. That was my point. As was your ZEV credit argument.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

alozzy
Posts: 1396
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:45 pm

@SageBrush
You are trying to say that two wrongs make a right. You most certainly do not have a clue why people have purchased a hack adapter.
I'm not saying that at all, don't put words in my mouth!

I'm saying that some Tesla owners are acting indignantly, yet have no problems with hogging public QCDC stations for hours themselves. I have no sympathy for those people. I hope you are not one of them, as that behavior is every bit as bad as what you are talking about.

For easy numbers, let's say that electricity costs $0.10 per kWh. A large pack on a Tesla can easily use $8 of electricity at that price for a single charge. Some Tesla owners are doing this multiple times a week. L2 abuse is even worse, committed by many EV owners.

Regarding your argument about this being about $

Let's assume that the hack adapter costs $500 and a non Tesla/Bolt/etc owner charges at Tesla EVSEs with it. That owner will likely transfer less than 20 kWh per charge, at a cost of $2 per. So, to break even on the cost of the hack adapter, that owner would have to fully charge his/her EV at least 250 times. For most people, that would be a two year payback...

Tell me again that this is only about stealing electricity to save $$$

EVSE etiquette, or lack thereof, is at the heart of this as well as a lack of charging infrastructure- whether you believe it or not.

People are buying these hack adapters because other charging options are unavailable, due to the jerks that are camping out at non Tesla EVSEs, and they see the hack adapter as a way of accessing more charging options.

There are only two fixes for this - more charging infrastructure and better etiquette from all EV owners.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

valem
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:24 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 405151

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am

Just last week, early in the morning, I went to to a park with 2 free L2 chargers. There was an event that day and every parking spot was taken. Two Teslas were parked and plugged in at the free chargers... this was early in the morning.
I left a note on both cars with my phone# to text me when they're done so that I could charge my car.
I really needed to charge, I had no other option if I wanted to go home.

I get two texts from to different numbers, one at 16:45 one at 16:55 saying "Done charging"
The park closed at 17:00

So those guys used the EV charging spot all day since parking in the park was full.

Luckily the guard let me plug in and leave my car (park had a gate) and gave me his cell # to call to pick up the car two hours later.
I got this service only because this place was owned by the same company I was there doing business with.

So it was not cool that they had their car plugged in from 9am to almost 5pm ... just because it was convenient to just leave the car there.
That's why Tesla is starting to charge a fee after the car is fully charged but still plugged in.

Regardless if it's a free station or not, they need to enforce time limit in EV charge parking spots and start ticketing EVs parked there after a time limit and also put a sign that non EVs will be towed.
2013 Silver SL 35,800 mi
Tinted windows.
Battery replaced 05/15/17 @ 29,677 mi

Zythryn
Posts: 1111
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 am

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:35 pm

valem wrote:Just last week, early in the morning, I went to to a park with 2 free L2 chargers. There was an event that day and every parking spot was taken. Two Teslas were parked and plugged in at the free chargers... this was early in the morning.
I left a note on both cars with my phone# to text me when they're done so that I could charge my car.
I really needed to charge, I had no other option if I wanted to go home.

I get two texts from to different numbers, one at 16:45 one at 16:55 saying "Done charging"
The park closed at 17:00

So those guys used the EV charging spot all day since parking in the park was full.

Luckily the guard let me plug in and leave my car (park had a gate) and gave me his cell # to call to pick up the car two hours later.
I got this service only because this place was owned by the same company I was there doing business with.

So it was not cool that they had their car plugged in from 9am to almost 5pm ... just because it was convenient to just leave the car there.
That's why Tesla is starting to charge a fee after the car is fully charged but still plugged in.

Regardless if it's a free station or not, they need to enforce time limit in EV charge parking spots and start ticketing EVs parked there after a time limit and also put a sign that non EVs will be towed.
This is a great example of why I hate ‘free’ chargers.
I see two solutions. Charge a fee for parking at a charger based on time, not kWh. Charge for the entire time the car is parked in that spot, charging or not.
Or, you could charge for the time the car is parked there, but not actively charging. This makes the charging ‘free’ however is open to abuse as well.

It would be wonderful if everyone followed etiquette, but they don’t. So a set of rules to encourage it is required.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

Baltneu
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:30 pm

There are 3 free L2 chargers in my town, however at the train station.
I drove over there during a weekday and all 3 spots were full with EV’s.
The problem is, these car owners get there early on weekdays,plug in, take the train to Manhattan and don’t return until the evening. However, parking is not free during the week, so they have to pay that .
Weekend is free parking. I don’t think there is much one can do about it. Spots are available on weekends.

I will tell you, the wife and I went to a concert in northern NJ on Saturday evening, through an app I found 5 free chargers in a parking lot, free parking after 6pm. So I parked, charged, took the wife to dinner and the show, came out and was 98% charged. Can’t beat that.

I think in the long run we who own EV’s make out better dollar/cost wise than buying gasoline in the long run, even though we come across some charger hoggers.
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

WetEV
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Who paid for those stations ? I'll help you out here -- Tesla did. And in some but not all cases, Tesla also paid all or part of the installation costs.
Tesla also often paid for a J1772 at the same locations.

Of course, non-Tesla cars should never use those J1772 stations as well.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 pm

WetEV wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Who paid for those stations ? I'll help you out here -- Tesla did. And in some but not all cases, Tesla also paid all or part of the installation costs.
Tesla also often paid for a J1772 at the same locations.

Of course, non-Tesla cars should never use those J1772 stations as well.
.
Time for you to learn something new:
Invited Vs no invited
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

WetEV
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 pm
WetEV wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 pm
SageBrush wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm
Who paid for those stations ? I'll help you out here -- Tesla did. And in some but not all cases, Tesla also paid all or part of the installation costs.
Tesla also often paid for a J1772 at the same locations.

Of course, non-Tesla cars should never use those J1772 stations as well.
.
Time for you to learn something new:
Invited Vs no invited
Got documentation on that?
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”