User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5399
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am
1) Contrary to claims stated here, JDapter Stub™ has been vetted with Tesla prior to release
If this is the case, I fail to see why people keep arguing. If Tesla is ok with it and the site operators are not restricting access then that's pretty much "case closed" as far as I'm concerned.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

WetEV
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Nubo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 pm
TonyWilliams wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am
1) Contrary to claims stated here, JDapter Stub™ has been vetted with Tesla prior to release
If this is the case, I fail to see why people keep arguing. If Tesla is ok with it and the site operators are not restricting access then that's pretty much "case closed" as far as I'm concerned.
Excluding some Tesla owners that are Special.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:11 am

alozzy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am
I don't use a hack adapter, I've never once charged from a Tesla EVSE. You've entirely missed my point...

For the few people using a hack adapter at a Tesla EVSE, there are many more Tesla owners charging far too long at public EVSEs. Those jerks are starting to tarnish the reputation of all Tesla owners, fair or not.

In other words, there are jerks in both camps and the jerks are starting to make everyone else jaded - it becomes a vicious cycle.

I'm not excusing the behavior, but I guarantee some of those people who bought the hack adapters were at least partly motivated by frustrations with Tesla owners and feel they are giving them a taste of their own medicine.
I don't practice or excuse poor charging etiquette, so you can put away your straw man and 'two wrongs make a right' arguments.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

WetEV
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:11 am
I don't practice or excuse poor charging etiquette,
Tesla drivers have more rights than other drivers.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 am

WetEV wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 am
SageBrush wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:11 am
I don't practice or excuse poor charging etiquette,
Tesla drivers have more rights than other drivers.
If by that you mean a vastly better car and a vastly better charging network and a vastly better company, we agree !
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

WetEV
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 am
If by that you mean a vastly better car and a vastly better charging network and a vastly better company, we agree !
A vastly better charging network because Tesla uses everyone else's networks as well. For parking as well as charging.

What is yours is yours, what isn't you will share. As long as you get a Tesla sized share.

It's really amusing getting to a DCQC and finding a Tesla parked, not plugged in, blocking the station.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

WetEV
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:58 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 am
If by that you mean a vastly better car and a vastly better charging network and a vastly better company, we agree !
A vastly better charging network because Tesla uses everyone else's networks as well.

What is yours is yours, what isn't you might share. As long as you get a Tesla sized share.

It's really amusing getting to come back to an L2 and finding a Tesla driver has unplugged your car and is charging.

I just love the attitude of Tesla drivers.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

alozzy
Posts: 1394
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:11 am
alozzy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am
I don't use a hack adapter, I've never once charged from a Tesla EVSE. You've entirely missed my point...

For the few people using a hack adapter at a Tesla EVSE, there are many more Tesla owners charging far too long at public EVSEs. Those jerks are starting to tarnish the reputation of all Tesla owners, fair or not.

In other words, there are jerks in both camps and the jerks are starting to make everyone else jaded - it becomes a vicious cycle.

I'm not excusing the behavior, but I guarantee some of those people who bought the hack adapters were at least partly motivated by frustrations with Tesla owners and feel they are giving them a taste of their own medicine.
I don't practice or excuse poor charging etiquette, so you can put away your straw man and 'two wrongs make a right' arguments.
Dredging that up again, are you? See here: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p537719, where I said:
People are buying these hack adapters because other charging options are unavailable, due to the jerks that are camping out at non Tesla EVSEs, and they see the hack adapter as a way of accessing more charging options.

There are only two fixes for this - more charging infrastructure and better etiquette from all EV owners.
With more big battery EVs on the road now, and more EVs in general, the lineups at public EVSEs have recently gotten much worse and often last all day long. Patience is in short supply in this world, so it's inevitable that people will look for a way to cheat the lineups.

However, you seem to think that the most plausible explanation why people would spend hundreds for a hack adapter is so they can steal electricity from Tesla. Anyone who is that spend thrift would most certainly do the payback period math and realize it's not worth it!

So, I'm not interested in an irrelevant ethical debate with you - I neither condone nor advocate that people should buy a hack adapter. You keep trying to make me feel guilty, like I'm somehow complicit:
That is your justification for using a hack adapter ? Really ?!
You are trying to say that two wrongs make a right
I don't practice or excuse poor charging etiquette, so you can put away your straw man and 'two wrongs make a right' arguments
Get off your high horse!

If public EVSEs were as ubiquitous at gas stations, the only people who would buy hack adapters would be irrational Telsa haters, just looking to stick it to Tesla regardless of the cost.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

powersurge
Posts: 1500
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 am

Why do so many conversations on this site devolve into moral /ownership justification battles. This is yours/ mine stupidity reminds me of the "possession" games we used to play as kids. "Don't step on MY grass in front of my house!", "That is MY ball, and you cannot touch it!"

The reality is that adapters for different systems are here. They are not illegal. If you can find a charging station that is not being used, then use it. End of story!!!! After all, what good is a charging station that is not being used? There are too many of those around, and using them will be the only way to get more.

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Tesla Charging Station Adapter?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 am

" I neither condone nor advocate that people should buy a hack adapter."
Good

I could not care less why people buy hack adapters. My simple point is that it is unethical to use them at Tesla destination EVSEs because those installations were paid for by Tesla (and by extension, Tesla owners) for use by Tesla owners. Moreover, Tesla has taken steps to prevent the use of hack adapters. Those actions may be only partially successful but it should leave no doubt about Tesla intent for who uses the EVSE.

Notice in this sign that hack adapters are not invited.

Image
Last edited by SageBrush on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”