Notacop
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 310501

Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Now that we have had our first cooler weather since I bought my car I noticed something. The heated steering wheel gets HOT in just a couple minutes. The heated seats, however, are barely noticeable. Has anybody else noticed weak heaters in the seats? The lights on the switches work fine and my wife says she can feel a difference between off and on, but they are nothing like the heated seats I have had in other cars.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Notacop wrote:Now that we have had our first cooler weather since I bought my car I noticed something. The heated steering wheel gets HOT in just a couple minutes. The heated seats, however, are barely noticeable. Has anybody else noticed weak heaters in the seats? The lights on the switches work fine and my wife says she can feel a difference between off and on, but they are nothing like the heated seats I have had in other cars.
They are generally adequate on Low and quite warm on High. Either you have insensitive skin or your heated seats have an issue. The crappy wheel thermostat, BTW, is typical for a Leaf.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

BrockWI
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Contact: Website

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I start with the seats on high until I feel them, then flip them to low. I so wish the steering wheel had a low setting, the part that is really annoying is it gets hotter and hotter then shuts off for 5 minutes until it is freezing. I tend to manually flip the steering while heater on and off to avoid it hitting the over temp cutout.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP - 1 ton ASHP
2003 VW TDI 200k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
EVSE level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
lost first bar @ 72k
@100k miles - 57.3Ahr - 87.62SOH - 84.13Hx - 241GID

Levenkay
Gold Member
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:58 pm

My impression is that the seat heaters have trouble being felt through the leather seats that you're stuck with on a 2016 SL. The heaters that were in my 2012SL's cloth seats worked GREAT, and had next to no delay between when they were switched ON and when they took effect. Also, I never had to run them on High. In the 2016, I often had to do as BrockWI describes and run them on High for quite awhile just in order to feel anything.

specialgreen
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017
Location: Minnesota

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:26 pm

BrockWI wrote:I start with the seats on high until I feel them, then flip them to low.
Is it just me, or if you put the seat heat on High, then it gets nice and toasty... but then, right when you're saying "ahhh, yes!", it shuts itself off. Then you're saying "aaah! where'd the heat go?" I do what BrockWI suggests: let it get hot, then flip it to Low, so the heater doesn't shut off.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Levenkay wrote:My impression is that the seat heaters have trouble being felt through the leather seats that you're stuck with on a 2016 SL. The heaters that were in my 2012SL's cloth seats worked GREAT, and had next to no delay between when they were switched ON and when they took effect. Also, I never had to run them on High. In the 2016, I often had to do as BrockWI describes and run them on High for quite awhile just in order to feel anything.
I have a 2018 SL with ##@$! leather seats, and the seat heaters work fine - including on Low - through both the leather and the cheap seat covers I have over it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

specialgreen
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017
Location: Minnesota

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I have a 2018 SL with ##@$! leather seats, and the seat heaters work fine
Interesting. I had assumed that the seats had a thermal shutoff, and once mine got "hot," they shut themselves down. Mine's a '17.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 pm

specialgreen wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:I have a 2018 SL with ##@$! leather seats, and the seat heaters work fine
Interesting. I had assumed that the seats had a thermal shutoff, and once mine got "hot," they shut themselves down. Mine's a '17.
I'm sure that mine also have a thermal shutoff, but I never use high, because just as with my 2013 SV the seats are plenty warm on Low - again, with thin cloth seat covers over the leather.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TheLostPetrol
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 307105
Location: Greater Chicagoland

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:27 pm

BrockWI wrote:I so wish the steering wheel had a low setting, the part that is really annoying is it gets hotter and hotter then shuts off for 5 minutes until it is freezing. I tend to manually flip the steering wheel heater on and off to avoid it hitting the over temp cutout.
I find "driving" gloves make the steering wheel's temperature excursions more bearable.
2018-02-21 Used 2015 LEAF SV Mfd 2014-07 In-serv 2015-02-27
Date mi AHr SOH Hx QC L1/L2
2018-02-21 26,938 60.22 97.0 90.7 1 988
2018-07-01 31,601 58.05 93.5 87.0 11 1223
2018-10-01 35,428 55.63 89.6 82.1 16 1440
2019-08-01 45,923 56.20 90.5 83.3 23 1968

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14389
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Heated Seats vs Heated Steering wheel in 2016 SL

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 am

Notacop wrote:Now that we have had our first cooler weather since I bought my car I noticed something. The heated steering wheel gets HOT in just a couple minutes. The heated seats, however, are barely noticeable. Has anybody else noticed weak heaters in the seats? The lights on the switches work fine and my wife says she can feel a difference between off and on, but they are nothing like the heated seats I have had in other cars.
Lucky you.

I have 2018 where steering wheel heater gets luke warm and stays that way. I loved the HOT my 2016 had. As far as heat seater? Mine is same as 2016. Its all about what you are wearing.

I see this all the time with other EVers and as soon as I mention this its like the light in the room has been turned on.

In gassers since we have 75% of the energy in gasoline to warm our ass, we tend to dress lightly which means we feel the seat heater a lot better.

In EVs we tend to dress warmer which means thicker clothes so we don't feel the seat heater as much. If you think yours is not working, wait till July and then test it.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 2640.9 mi, 99.37% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”