Full Battery Charge, not showing 150 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

2018 SL
3K miles
Have all 12 bars

When I now charge the car to 100% I am getting 134-144 miles on the display. When I first picked up the car in October 2018 when fully charged it showed 150 miles, sometimes as high as 155. I do drive in Eco-mode, and use the E-pedal often.

Temperature out is now cold! Single digits some nights, car is garaged, but still cold in garage. Is this drop-off due to the cold weather taking away some of the battery capacity or is something wrong and it has to go back to the dealer?

The range estimate (we call it the Guess O Meter or GOM for short) is affected by various factors including your recent driving and the temperature of the battery pack. Most likely your current GOM reading is because of the cold weather.

The estimated range is calculated by the car using your recent driving habits... If you are using the heat and Ac, going fast on the highway, the car will give you a lower estimate than your ideal 150 miles. In the spring when you do not use heat or ac, and you drive gently, your estimate will go higher... there is nothing wrong with your car...

I am using the heat more now.
I guess the cold weather is hitting the battery hard.

That is fully expected. Model 3s we're seeing a 30% reduction in range in the cold, IFIRC.

The battery produces less power, there is more rolling resistance on snow, and the heat consumes a lot of power. Your range will come back (mostly) in the summer.

Batteries do degrade over time, so it may not be 100% back, but your car doesn't sound atypical. Hopefully the winter range meets your driving needs. If so, don't worry and enjoy the car!

The guess-o-meter is nearly worthless...

When I leave my house in the morning the car is fully charged (I use a level 2 charger installed on my house) and the GOM displays 70-75 mile range. I drive 29 miles at an average speed of 75 mph to work. Where I use a level 1 outlet to recharge to 100% while at work. When I get in to go home the GOM shows 60-65 miles even though the battery is 100% charged! I then drive the 29 miles back home, typically at a more reasonable 60-65 mph average (no in as big a rush to punch the time clock).

The GOM calculates your estimated range based on a crazy number of variables that constantly change. I am a firm believer in using an app like Leaf Spy to monitor all the aspects of your battery rather than simply relying on the GOM to tell if you is something is failing.

The GOM calculates your estimated range based on a crazy number of variables that constantly change.

Basically, it just uses the last few minutes of driving efficiency. People who drive with an efficiency equivalent to their trip average in the last few minutes before they park the car get a fairly accurate guesstimate when they restart the car. Those who drive more gently or harder in the last few minutes before parking the car get a high or low estimate. FWIW, the GOM in the 2018 is better than the 2013-2017 version, which in turn is better than the 2011-2012 version.

My observation is the range indicator is based on the current miles/kWh in the dash screen multiplied by either the initial battery capacity or the current actual calculated battery capacity.

For example mine this morning is 3.6 miles/kWh & at 92% SOC I was showing 147 of indicated miles of range with ECO turned off & the Climate control also turned off. Climate control use in my area with an SL will subtract 2-6 miles depending on pack SOC %. Also the ECO button will "add" 3-6 of range depending on pack SOC %.

My garage was an indicated 53F this morning & outside temps was 34F.

I would presume your miles/kWh is below 3 to show that amount of range with a fully charged pack.

For 24 and 30kWh Leafs, you can get a much more accurate reading from the GOM if you turn cruise control on. That appears to force it to calculate your range using your current energy usage rather than its usual optimistic formula. Now that I have a 40kWh Leaf, I no longer see a change in the GOM whether I have cruise control on or off, but it is also more accurate overall.

Astros said:
For 24 and 30kWh Leafs, you can get a much more accurate reading from the GOM if you turn cruise control on. That appears to force it to calculate your range using your current energy usage rather than its usual optimistic formula. Now that I have a 40kWh Leaf, I no longer see a change in the GOM whether I have cruise control on or off, but it is also more accurate overall.

Interesting
Will try later today

Baltneu said:
Astros said:

Interesting
Will try later today

There is a more accurate range estimate available in the 24kwh Leafs with Nav. Just press the blue Energy button the wheel, and the Nav screen displays a map with two concentric circles and two range estimates. The lower number/inner circle is very accurate in most conditions. I'm not sure if the 2018 retains this feature, because I almost never worry about range now.

Hello, I have a question regarding my 2018 Nissan Leaf. On a regular charge I usually have about 150 miles. But for some reason when I looked at the amount of miles the car estimated, it only showed 110 miles on 100% charge today. How do I fix this problem? If anyone knows anything that could help me out, please reach out, it would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a 2018 Leaf and when I fully charge, the "guessometer" is all over the place. In warm weather I have found it to read 160 miles, some have even posted higher results. When it is cold out, the number is lower. The lowest it has ever shown is 130 miles on the full charge. It has been told to me there is a computer that is tracking your driving habits, and other things to come up with this number. When the heat or AC is on, this number is lower. I am not aware of anything you can do to tweak this figure.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of anything you can do to tweak this figure.

With the previous Leafs you can raise that number substantially by driving very gently for a mile or so before you park the car. (I don't know what the point would be, but it should work.) With the 2018+ Leaf it should still raise the estimate on startup, but probably not by as much, as the Leaf 2 uses a slightly more sophisticated set of parameters for estimating the range.

Back