coupedncal
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm

I have a 2017 SV and I certainly do not have the option to stop charging at less than 100% from the car. I have the option to remotely shut down charging on my smart charger but I miss not having this feature built into my car. Most other cars like Tesla and VW offer this capability.

I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.
Last edited by coupedncal on Thu May 30, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'17 30kWh Leaf

Jerryr
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am
Delivery Date: 12 May 2019
Leaf Number: 310009
Location: Bradenton, Florida

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm

coupedncal wrote:I have a 2017 SV and I certainly do not have the option to stop charging at less than 100% from the car. I have the option to remotely shut down charging on my smart charger but I miss not having this feature built into my car. Most other cars like Tesla and VW offer this capability.

I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.
Nope. Still can’t set anything less than 100%.
2019 SL Plus 5/19- current
2018 SV w/tech and All Weather pkg 5/18-4/19 (traded)
2015 SL 4/15-5/18 (traded)
2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate CCSB SRW Diesel
2015 Lexus RX450h
2017 Grand Design RV 337RLS 5th wheel

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12996
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Thu May 30, 2019 2:28 pm

How about a more descriptive topic title, like "Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?"
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

coupedncal
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Thu May 30, 2019 2:37 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:How about a more descriptive topic title, like "Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?"
Fixed. :-)
'17 30kWh Leaf

coupedncal
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 pm

There was a bogus marketing reason they gave at the time of 24kWh battery time for not having this feature but now things have changed and with the plus model out, it seems this feature should now get added. Do they not want the battery to last longer? I really don't understand their mindset on this issue.
'17 30kWh Leaf

smkettner
Posts: 7373
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am

Since you are leasing.... why worry about it? Just charge 100% and get on with your day.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

coupedncal
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:31 pm

smkettner wrote:Since you are leasing.... why worry about it? Just charge 100% and get on with your day.
As a rule, I take care of my leased cars as if I own it. This way, I make sure the next buyer gets a product that has not been abused. I just sleep better at night this way.
'17 30kWh Leaf

jjeff
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 pm

coupedncal wrote:
smkettner wrote:Since you are leasing.... why worry about it? Just charge 100% and get on with your day.
As a rule, I take care of my leased cars as if I own it. This way, I make sure the next buyer gets a product that has not been abused. I just sleep better at night this way.
+1
Even though I use a company vehicle during the day, I still treat it like I own it not like a stole it :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12996
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Likewise. It's unlikely I'll buy this one, but that faint possibility also drives my care for it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4771
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 pm

coupedncal wrote: I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.
I can think of many reasons to avoid a LEAF but yours
is not one of them.
A programmable $500 EVSE like the Juice does most of what you want..
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”