LeafSpy Readings Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkart

I just got LeafSpy Lite working with my Leaf, and have my first set of data points:

AHr=54.19
SOH=87.27%
384.0V -0.5A
Hx=79.08%
odo=19,736 mi
174 QCs & 739 L1/L2s
min/avg/max = 3.996 4.001 4.004 (8 mv)
Temp F = 63.4 63.7 63.3 (0.5F)
12.40V 0.00A
SOC=68.1%

I think I know what most of them mean . . . Hx being the biggest exception.

What I lack is any idea what some of those numbers 'should' be for a Leaf with these miles/years on it (coming up on three years since initial sale). It does look like I might be close to losing my first bar.

Also, it seems like there are four battery temperature sensors, but I only get shown three (1, 2, and 4). Wondering why that is.

And, how do I grab a screenshot, so I can avoid transcribing the values off the screen? Keep in mind that I bought a smartphone *just* to be able to use LeafSpy, so I'm still working up to having an idea how to use the (Android) GUI.

There is help built into the app, at least the Pro version.

SOH of 87.27% is probably awhile away from losing a bar. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915 was my 1st bar loss. Back then, Leaf Spy didn't show anything past the decimal point for SOH.

IIRC, Leafs after model year '12 only have 3 temp sensors and not 4. This is also in the docs.

Screenshot can depend on version of Android and which phone you have. IIRC, on early Android versions, you need to install Android dev tools and attach to a computer.

Hx has always been a source for debate, and now it appears meaningless in the 40kwh pack. Anyway, your Leaf is not far from the loss of the first capacity bar.

LeftieBiker said:
WHAT year Leaf is this...? Hx has always been a source for debate, and now it appears meaningless in the 40kwh pack. Anyway, whatever year Leaf you have, it is fairly close to, but not right at, the first capacity bar loss.
It's a 2016 Leaf S, 24kWh battery, 6.6kW charger upgrade.

Early LEAFs (2011 and 2012 for sure) had 4 battery temperature sensors. Newer LEAFs only have 3 (No. 3 is no longer used). There is ongoing argument on the forum regarding Hx, but it appears to be related to internal battery resistance or a comparison of internal resistance between best and worst cells. Hx drops as battery deteriorates and internal resistance increases so it might be more appropriate to say that it is somewhat proportional to conductance (inverse of resistance). Your numbers look reasonable for the age and mileage.

cwerdna said:
There is help built into the app, at least the Pro version.

SOH of 87.27% is probably awhile away from losing a bar. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915 was my 1st bar loss. Back then, Leaf Spy didn't show anything past the decimal point for SOH.

IIRC, Leafs after model year '12 only have 3 temp sensors and not 4. This is also in the docs.

Screenshot can depend on version of Android and which phone you have. IIRC, on early Android versions, you need to install Android dev tools and attach to a computer.
Thanks for the help cwernda. I started with the Lite version just to make sure it would work but do have the Pro version next on my list (want to reset the TPMS once I get new wheels/tires).

Hopefully a few more data sets will help me see how soon I might hit that 83%. Wondering what frequency makes sense for that . . . is weekly too soon? I imagine there's some noise in the readings that would make trying to use too-close-together data points relatively useless.

I forgot to say the Android devices I have been using take screenshots by pressing the power and volume down buttons at the same time. I have a dedicated phone (no cellular subscription) that I use for LEAF Spy and I keep it running whenever I drive. I like to have the tire pressure display and low pressure alarm active all the time.

bobkart said:
Thanks for the help cwernda. I started with the Lite version just to make sure it would work but do have the Pro version next on my list (want to reset the TPMS once I get new wheels/tires).

Hopefully a few more data sets will help me see how soon I might hit that 83%. Wondering what frequency makes sense for that . . . is weekly too soon? I imagine there's some noise in the readings that would make trying to use too-close-together data points relatively useless.
For me, in the Pro version, the help is in the 3-dot menu, About & Help, Application Help.

The problem is AHr, SOH and Hx will all fluctuate somewhat with usage. So, even taking weekly readings could mean you're taking them at the "wrong" times. I have an OBD2 extension cable plugged into my Leaf at all times. I usually connect the dongle to the cable when driving and I'm ok w/leaving it connected when in the garage. I may disconnect if I park it outside/out in the open (out of paranoia for security reasons since someone else can connect to it and do whatever the dongle allows).

I don't recall how long my SOH readings were around 84 or 83% before I lost my 1st bar. Even now, my SOH readings are fluctuating between 82.xx% and 83.xx%, mostly around 82.x% and still at 11 bars. I'm near 65K miles in a warmer part of the SF Bay Area.

Re: Android screenshots, https://lifehacker.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-android-5994516 sounds right. Long ago, you'd have to install adb and use commands like at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27766712/using-adb-to-capture-the-screen.

cwerdna said:
The problem is AHr, SOH and Hx will all fluctuate somewhat with usage. So, even taking weekly readings could mean you're taking them at the "wrong" times.
That helps . . . I'll see how things look over time to get an impression of the variability.

I found something already installed called Capture+ that lets me take screenshots:

BURZRkE.png

bobkart said:
I just got LeafSpy Lite working with my Leaf, and have my first set of data points:

AHr=54.19
SOH=87.27%
384.0V -0.5A
Hx=79.08%
odo=19,736 mi
174 QCs & 739 L1/L2s
min/avg/max = 3.996 4.001 4.004 (8 mv)
Temp F = 63.4 63.7 63.3 (0.5F)
12.40V 0.00A
SOC=68.1%

I think I know what most of them mean . . . Hx being the biggest exception.

What I lack is any idea what some of those numbers 'should' be for a Leaf with these miles/years on it (coming up on three years since initial sale). It does look like I might be close to losing my first bar.

Also, it seems like there are four battery temperature sensors, but I only get shown three (1, 2, and 4). Wondering why that is.

And, how do I grab a screenshot, so I can avoid transcribing the values off the screen? Keep in mind that I bought a smartphone *just* to be able to use LeafSpy, so I'm still working up to having an idea how to use the (Android) GUI.

Your readings are "just as they are" There is no consensual "should be's" with the LEAF or any other EV for that matter. The variance especially on used vehicles simply covers the spectrum of possibility.

You have LS Pro? (IOW if you want real functionality, spend the $20) Then you have access to log files. Connect to your Drop Box account to do so.

Screenshots is a phone question. I can tell you how to do it if you have a Samsung 6

Press and hold Home and power button simultaneously.

I also have LS Pro on my Pixel XL2 which is my "phone phone" (Sam 6 is only for LS so its my LS phone)

That would be volume down and power button simultaneously.

bobkart said:
cwerdna said:
The problem is AHr, SOH and Hx will all fluctuate somewhat with usage. So, even taking weekly readings could mean you're taking them at the "wrong" times.
That helps . . . I'll see how things look over time to get an impression of the variability.

I found something already installed called Capture+ that lets me take screenshots:

BURZRkE.png

So you have ahr 80.63%, SOH 87% and Hx 79%. How long did it sit on the dealer lot? Yours kinda looks like a reset but the low mileage can also make those numbers skew. As far as when to log, I log mine every morning on days I drive. It takes all of 30 seconds to do so, a bit more to transfer but I do it mostly because it gives me a daily record in a database I can look at. I generally don't have LS running except for specific observations, tests and fast charge sessions.

LeafSpy Pro is my next step . . . wanted to try LeafSpy Lite first to make sure the rest of the pieces were up to it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
How long did it sit on the dealer lot?
That looks to be about five months between the lease return and my purchase, with an auction during that period.

I mostly wanted to hear if any readings might be indicative of a problem. Sounds like not from others on this thread.

One thing I see that seems a bit high is the number of Quick Charges (174). I've done 14 of those in the nearly six months I've had it (say 2.5 per month). So 160 were done in the previous 18K miles and ~24 months, at a rate of 6-7 per month. But the previous owner put 9K miles/year on it and I'm on track for less than half that (4K miles), so I guess that tracks pretty well. Plus I can L1 charge at work so that allows me to avoid QCs more that I suspect the original owner did.

bobkart said:
LeafSpy Pro is my next step . . . wanted to try LeafSpy Lite first to make sure the rest of the pieces were up to it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
How long did it sit on the dealer lot?
That looks to be about five months between the lease return and my purchase, with an auction during that period.

I mostly wanted to hear if any readings might be indicative of a problem. Sounds like not from others on this thread.

One thing I see that seems a bit high is the number of Quick Charges (174). I've done 14 of those in the nearly six months I've had it (say 2.5 per month). So 160 were done in the previous 18K miles and ~24 months, at a rate of 6-7 per month. But the previous owner put 9K miles/year on it and I'm on track for less than half that (4K miles), so I guess that tracks pretty well. Plus I can L1 charge at work so that allows me to avoid QCs more that I suspect the original owner did.

If you drive that little, the car should work for years. I would keep SOC between 25-70%. Where exactly I will leave that up to you. You want a bit more for contingencies and I would push the upper limit to 80-85% in Winter but only if you are getting home at 30% or less.

DaveinOlyWA said:
If you drive that little, the car should work for years. I would keep SOC between 25-70%. Where exactly I will leave that up to you. You want a bit more for contingencies and I would push the upper limit to 80-85% in Winter but only if you are getting home at 30% or less.
Always good to hear advice from someone with more experience than me . . . thanks Dave.

cwerdna said:
lol, no
press and hold a button or two for 2 ~ seconds. The button combo varies by phone and android version so it is best to just google the answer.

LeftieBiker said:
press and hold a button or two for 2 ~ seconds. The button combo varies by phone and android version so it is best to just google the answer.

On my LG Stylo 2, for example, it's Power + Volume -. IIRC.

"Nearly" all new Androids are the same. If you have an older one with dedicated home button then it would be home+power. In all cases, the key (pun intended) is to hold both until the screenshot is captured which will take a second or two.

I gather that the V and A numbers after Hx are for the traction battery. 380-something volts seems typical for voltage but I see both negative and positive numbers for amps. Negative I take to mean the traction battery is discharging (topping up the 12V battery I suspect), so positive would mean it's charging, yet I see positive numbers there when I'm not charging (in fact I've yet to use LeafSpy when charging). So what would cause the positive numbers besides charging? Or if I have it backwards, what would cause the negative numbers besides charging?

Back