Bouldergramp
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 317621

Long trip...saw one electric car

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:51 am

Boulder, CO to Bainbridge Island, WA and back by different routes in our Honda Odyssey. On the highways I saw three Prius and finally one Tesla at a rest stop in the Idaho panhandle. The Tesla driver was friendly and seemed confident in doing a long trip.

There were lots of Teslas and leafs in the Seattle/Bainbridge area but not on the highways.

Calaveras
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Long trip...saw one electric car

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:36 am

We own two electric cars now and no ICE or hybrids. I just rented a ICE car for a 200 mile trip. Because we were in the SF bay area there were tons of EV. It is a chicken and egg problem. which comes first? In the county where I live there are no public charging stations and I rarely see an EV. in the county where I work there are a dozen charging stations, but only Level 2. I see more EV there, but not like in the bay area.

I have never taken the EV on a road trip, but I plan on doing it by the end of summer when I have time to enjoy the experience.
2016 Leaf S bought used in 2017
2017 Soul EV bought in 2019 for spouse.
Daily commute is 55 miles round trip with a 1,900 foot elevation climb on the way home. Gold Country California

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:16 am

When we road trip, the fact that the car is an EV (Tesla) rather than an ICE is barely a conversation topic unless we go off the highways and beaten paths. Mostly we just appreciate that we arrive at destinations a lot less fatigued than in the ICE days.

Road tripping in a Tesla is a breeze, and our time on the road is about the same as before
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

gene
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am

SageBrush wrote:When we road trip, the fact that the car is an EV (Tesla) rather than an ICE is barely a conversation topic unless we go off the highways and beaten paths. Mostly we just appreciate that we arrive at destinations a lot less fatigued than in the ICE days.

Road tripping in a Tesla is a breeze, and our time on the road is about the same as before
Same here. We just returned from Santa Barbara, to Portland, to Santa Fe, and back. Thousands of miles in one of our Tesla Model 3's. Super easy trip. Superchargers are well placed and the Model 3 charges so much faster than our S that you could call the charging too fast for convenience. At charging stops, the Model 3 has become annoying that my meal isn't even over and i have to move the car. We have been getting insane charging speeds compared to our 2013 Model S.

We have been all electric household since 2012.
Sold 2013 Leaf. Sold 2013 Model S. These days we have three Model 3's in the household. Mine, my wife's, and my son's. On the roof: 8.8 Kw solar, 2 Powerwalls.

SageBrush

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 am

gene wrote:
SageBrush wrote:When we road trip, the fact that the car is an EV (Tesla) rather than an ICE is barely a conversation topic unless we go off the highways and beaten paths. Mostly we just appreciate that we arrive at destinations a lot less fatigued than in the ICE days.

Same here. We just returned from Santa Barbara, to Portland, to Santa Fe, and back. Thousands of miles in one of our Tesla Model 3's. Super easy trip. Superchargers are well placed and the Model 3 charges so much faster than our S that you could call the charging too fast for convenience. At charging stops, the Model 3 has become annoying that my meal isn't even over and i have to move the car. We have been getting insane charging speeds compared to our 2013 Model S.

We have been all electric household since 2012.
You also apparently forgot to swing by my place for a promised beer.
-----

retrodog
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

I had no idea that Colorado was a big oil state. Well that's what you get for selling most of it to Texans, I guess.

Did you see any Volts? They are more difficult to spot ont he Gen2 version since they look so much like the other Chevy sedans.
President and only member of the Machine Gun Toting Electric Scooter Riders club, Texas chapter.

GRA

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Calaveras wrote:We own two electric cars now and no ICE or hybrids. I just rented a ICE car for a 200 mile trip. Because we were in the SF bay area there were tons of EV. It is a chicken and egg problem. which comes first? In the county where I live there are no public charging stations and I rarely see an EV. in the county where I work there are a dozen charging stations, but only Level 2. I see more EV there, but not like in the bay area.

I have never taken the EV on a road trip, but I plan on doing it by the end of summer when I have time to enjoy the experience.
Yeah, BEVs are all over the place in the Bay Area, as we have the highest regional take rate in the state with the highest state take rate. Riding BART the 10 miles from Castro Valley to W. Dublin station along the I-580 median on the fourth, I counted 17 oncoming Teslas on the freeway in that 10 minutes or so. IIRR 5 were Mod. S, 3 were Mod. X and the rest were Mod. 3s. Then, when I exited the BART station in Dublin (I was BART/biking it) there were two (Mod. 3 and S) parked close to the steps, and another Model 3 arriving as I mounted my bike, then several more as I rode over to REI (one Mod. S was probably coming from the Tesla store in clear view 1 block off my route). This ignores all the other PEVs I could/did see, but the Model 3 undoubtedly holds the crown now. It's pretty common now for me to see 3 Teslas at the same intersection at the same time, plus one or more Primes, Volts, Bolts, LEAFs and what have you.
Last edited by GRA on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:52 am

I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle". What is real world range in any EV if you are traveling in Arizona or any other state at 80 MPH? 250 Miles? Then your recharge is 20 mins as compared to 5 minutes for an ICE.

I am not rapping EVs I am just stating that you are not going to get anywhere as fast over long distances in an EV over an ICE vehicle.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

8 years 33000mi. 7 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 am

I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle".
Who are you quoting? I see no such statement, certainly not those exact words.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:15 am

downeykp wrote:

I beg to differ. There is no way that any electric vehicle can travel "in about the same amount of time as an ICE vehicle". What is real world range in any EV if you are traveling in Arizona or any other state at 80 MPH? 250 Miles? Then your recharge is 20 mins as compared to 5 minutes for an ICE.

I am not rapping EVs I am just stating that you are not going to get anywhere as fast over long distances in an EV over an ICE vehicle.
It is more than silly to dispute my experience with envelope arithmetic.
Go for a few road trips with an EV like my Tesla and then talk.
-----

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”