LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Best cells donor for 2012 SL

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 pm

BTW I don't see any difference in 2012 and 2013 bodies.
The Gen I Leaf has marker lights on the sides of the front fenders. Also, it isn't obvious, but the Gen I uses some aluminum body panels. I don't know if the Gen I body is different in the rear cargo area to accommodate the onboard charger, but it may be.
Can you advice on if it's BMS reset victim or not? I updated previous post with the link.
BMS resets are temporary and the car will start to lose capacity bars from the display over the course of weeks or months, rather than years, as it relearns the pack's real capacity. One immediate way to tell is to range test the car, and see if the actual range gibes with the displayed capacity. LeafSpy can be fooled by a recent reset, but as time passes it can be used to show that one has been done.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Andrey
Delivery Date: 04 May 2019
Leaf Number: 019812

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: The Gen I Leaf has marker lights on the sides of the front fenders. Also, it isn't obvious, but the Gen I uses some aluminum body panels. I don't know if the Gen I body is different in the rear cargo area to accommodate the onboard charger, but it may be.
Right, nothing special in gen2 body.
LeftieBiker wrote: BMS resets are temporary and the car will start to lose capacity bars from the display over the course of weeks or months, rather than years, as it relearns the pack's real capacity. One immediate way to tell is to range test the car, and see if the actual range gibes with the displayed capacity. LeafSpy can be fooled by a recent reset, but as time passes it can be used to show that one has been done.
I know that, and probably guys selling leafs too, so I wonder is it possible to distinguish it by looking at dashboard picture.
23k miles isn't too much for 2015, but it depends - how many QC, what charge-discharge percentage it hit permanently, and how hot it was for extended period.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:02 pm

I know that, and probably guys selling leafs too, so I wonder is it possible to distinguish it by looking at dashboard picture.
If you could tell a BMS reset by looking at a photo of the dash, things would be much easier for all of us - and there would be few if any intentional resets. If you see 12 capacity bars and an estimated range of 50 miles with a full charge, that could indicate a reset - or it could indicate a lead-footed test drive before the last recharge.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Andrey
Delivery Date: 04 May 2019
Leaf Number: 019812

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks LeftieBiker, makes sense. After all, it's GOM.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Andrey wrote: Will I need to ask dealer to pair the battery or do swap BMS? Benefit of this that I would be able to cell my 8 bar battery.
If you use the tool, you won't need a dealer at all. If you don't use the tool, you'll need a dealer to activate, not swap, the BMS, which my local dealers refused to do. Some are more willing to do so. Keep in mind the BMS is located inside the battery pack, so when you swap the pack, you swap the BMS. "Pairing the battery" is the same thing as "pairing the BMS"--you're linking the BMS to the VCM (vehicle control module).

Either way, you'll have your old 8-bar battery that you can sell for solar projects, etc.
Andrey wrote: Yes, that's what I talk about. From that perspective I start to realize the amount of work, even for DIY. I keep forgetting it's not a toy but 1.5 ton car, even if it looks like a toy. BTW I don't see any difference in 2012 and 2013 bodies.
Yes, and you might have to swap a good number of the wiring harnesses, and be super careful, because the pinouts may differ. Keep in mind that while the body did not significantly change from 2012 to 2013, it was a refresh, so many of the connectors, wiring, and harnesses are totally different. You'll essentially have to rebuild the entire car and your donor car better have basically all the parts.
Lothsahn wrote: Can you advice on if it's BMS reset victim or not? I updated previous post with the link.
I don't know if this is a BMS reset or not. The 51 miles seems like a reasonable, but low, estimate for a 70% charged 85% SOH pack. If not a BMS reset, I suspect this pack is about to hit 11 bars soon. Any way to get a Leafspy reading of that battery pack?

Keep in mind the miles remaining is affected by outside temperature. If that picture was taken on a 2011, 2012, or 2013+ S-trim when it was really cold, it might be severely lowering the estimated range, due to the inefficient heating system.

If a BMS reset occurs, I fully expect the range estimation to be the full estimate when charged (~100 miles), as the BMS would be telling you to expect max range. Then, as you drive the car, the range estimation should plummet very quickly because for each mile you drive, you're using 2 or 3 miles of the 100 mile range.

Is this prospective battery pack a gen1 or a gen2 pack? Personally, I would only be interested in buying Gen2 packs. Gen1 packs will degrade very quickly. https://youtu.be/fqAbiyZqp1w
Lothsahn wrote: Thanks LothSahn, you're just priceless source of Leaf knowledge!
You are very welcome!
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 pm

I just drove my 12 bar, 87% SOH (it's almost an 11 bar) Leaf, and I had 51 miles remaining with 8 bars on the dash. Here's a picture of my dash:
http://lothsahn.com:3172/IMG_20190718_185743.jpg

So it may or may not be a BMS reset. If you can get that battery for a reasonable price, it could make a very good battery.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”