How much of a Discount Should I be Able to Get on an Ordered Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryleaf

We have a Leaf on order (2019 SL Plus) that should be arriving within the first two weeks of October. The dealer is telling us that the MSRP is $44,630 and if we finance through Nissan, there is a $1,000 discount. Other dealers in the area are discounting ("Dealer discount") Leaf's another $2,900 (same model, similar options, different color). Do we have any hope of getting more discounts? Thank you for your thoughts.

It's hard to get discounts on a new, popular model. The best approach when that is the case is to have several dealers submit competing, written offers. Email can work well for that, although some dealerships don't take emails seriously. In that case, go from dealer to dealer, telling each that you are definitely going to order a Plus from the dealership with the best offer. Get it in writing, and repeat with as many dealers as possible.

This is important: if you have a car to trade, don't mention it. In fact, if they ask, say "no." Then, only after you have offers in writing, "change your mind" about trading a car in. That will give you their real price for the trade, instead of letting them try to get the trade in for free or nearly free.

I live in Ca & my Wife was interested in a SL Plus & it took some effort but I was able to negotiate roughly $8K off MSRP + Fed/State/Utility incentives which is another $10,800 in my part of California. That was from either my local dealer where I got my 40kWh from or a Bay Area dealer as well in writing.

This was for a brand new off the lot or dealer located SL Plus but it was not an ordered SL Plus. That offer was valid two months ago however she ended up going with a Top trim Outback instead

We bought our Plus for 2K under invoice.

Given they are a bit tighter in availability, not sure if you can get that price still. Others have done a bit better, but don’t start above invoice.

Location, location, location! Here there’s limited availability and ZERO local rebates or incentives.

There are only 6 SLPlus’s within 450 miles of my zip code per the NissanUSA web site. Dealers are holding out for max profit.

Invoice on a SL+ is about $2,500 below MSRP.

We bought ours at invoice here in Florida. There are ZERO rebates or incentives other than the $7,500 Federal Income Tax Credit.

I traded in my 2018 SV and my 2018 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback in on our SL+ so it gets murky. We got what we paid for on our Focus trade that we only owned for 3 months. After factoring $7,500 fed credit and $4,500 discount when we bought our 2018 SV we took a $3500 depreciation hit on the 2018 Leaf Trade.

The Plus allowed us to dump the Focus that we purchased to commute to our cabin. Buying the Plus gave us the range to do the 3x/mo 250 mile round trip to the cabin with an EV. (We have L2 charge capability at both homes). So we eliminated one insurance bill, one less vehicle to depreciate and saved the difference between the Focus gas bill and Leaf electric bill. So we’re saving $40/mo in fuel ($67 gas vs $27 electric for 1,000 miles) and $40/month insurance.

The Leaf Plus now has become the car we drive 95% of the time, leaving our Lexus Hybrid SUV for road trips and our F350 for towing the 14,000 lb 5th wheel RV and Home Depot Lumber runs.

Thank you all for the comments. We will see what we can negotiate. There are no red ones in the local area, so if we want to play the game of "OK, we'll get the one at XX dealer," then we will have to settle for some other color. We are really looking forward to the red one.

countryleaf said:
We have a Leaf on order (2019 SL Plus) that should be arriving within the first two weeks of October. The dealer is telling us that the MSRP is $44,630 and if we finance through Nissan, there is a $1,000 discount. Other dealers in the area are discounting ("Dealer discount") Leaf's another $2,900 (same model, similar options, different color). Do we have any hope of getting more discounts? Thank you for your thoughts.
That sounds pretty high. Since you're in WA, any chance of you trying out dealers in King or Pierce counties? I lived in WA state for over 9 years.

For reference (this might not help you that much), 238 mile EPA rated Bolts are heavily discounted here in CA: https://www.concordchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&year=2019&sort=salePrice%7Casc. Tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is only $3750 (vs. $7500 for Nissans) and that's until end of this month. On 10/1/19, it goes to $1875 on GM EVs/PHEVs. Unfortunately, choice of colors is slim since I'm pretty sure production ended on '19 Bolts and GM's on strike now anyway. 2020 Bolt will have 259 mile EPA range rating.

SageBrush said:
countryleaf said:
the MSRP is $44,630
My thought ? Buy a Tesla at that price. A LEAF is worth half

I actually would agree with Sage, if you are basically paying full price for a leaf plus, you might as well get a entry level model 3 with a few options. Unless you can't stand the interior or the sedan style, in which case I'd try and get an e-niro EV for about the same price as the leaf.

I think what makes the Nissan Leaf attractive is its value, but if you are paying full price, its not a value anymore. But as always, YMMV, and if you love the Leaf, then that's a factor too.

It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.

LeftieBiker said:
It's surprising to me that Tesla can't seem to grasp that comfort matters as well, and is a deciding factor for many, many people. If they offered a "comfort" option package, with steering wheel warmer along with the seat warmers, and adjustable suspension that could be set for a soft ride, and front seats that swiveled to ease entry and exit, their Model 3 sales would take off again. As it is they are ceding the entire Toyota/Buick/Renault market to the Leaf and similar cars.

I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

I didn't know that the LEAF (or Toyota for that matter) has front seats that swivel or have an adjustable suspension.

Nope. They are easy to enter and exit without them, and have suspensions that are comfortable by default.

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Nope. They are easy to enter and exit without them, and have suspensions that are comfortable by default.

I agree. We seriously considered the Model 3. Even had $1,000 deposit on one. BUT when I test drove it, getting in and out reminded me of my previous Corvette.

I can’t get into a M3 without hurting my neck. I’m on my 3rd Leaf and it’s SO Easy to get in and out of it.

I am debt free and I can afford any car I want. I choose to own a Leaf SL Plus.

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Then your earlier conclusion is uncertain at best. Tesla *could* add those features at extra cost .... and lose customers as a result; or build a boat-ish car to suit your tastes ... and lose customers who do not want to drive a buick.

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
countryleaf said:
the MSRP is $44,630
My thought ? Buy a Tesla at that price. A LEAF is worth half

I actually would agree with Sage, if you are basically paying full price for a leaf plus, you might as well get a entry level model 3 with a few options. Unless you can't stand the interior or the sedan style, in which case I'd try and get an e-niro EV for about the same price as the leaf.

I think what makes the Nissan Leaf attractive is its value, but if you are paying full price, its not a value anymore. But as always, YMMV, and if you love the Leaf, then that's a factor too.

We do have a Sales Tax rebate here in Washington State for EV's. The rebate is for EV's that cost less than $45K and is for the first $25K. So, for where I live, the sales tax rate is 9%, which is a $2,250 rebate. Then there is the $7,500 federal tax credit too. We have looked at the Tesla and the Kia and are going to stick with the Leaf. But thank you for the thoughts and opinions.

cwerdna said:
countryleaf said:
That sounds pretty high. Since you're in WA, any chance of you trying out dealers in King or Pierce counties? I lived in WA state for over 9 years.

For reference (this might not help you that much), 238 mile EPA rated Bolts are heavily discounted here in CA: https://www.concordchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&year=2019&sort=salePrice%7Casc. Tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is only $3750 (vs. $7500 for Nissans) and that's until end of this month. On 10/1/19, it goes to $1875 on GM EVs/PHEVs. Unfortunately, choice of colors is slim since I'm pretty sure production ended on '19 Bolts and GM's on strike now anyway. 2020 Bolt will have 259 mile EPA range rating.
The dealer I bought my Bolt from seems to have gotten an infusion of LT trims: https://www.chevroletoffremont.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&sort=salePrice%7Casc.

I currently see 20 LT and 41 Premier there. At one point, I think they had under 10 LT's, possibly 1 or 0. I'm no fan of black (wouldn't buy a car that color), but I currently see a MSRP $38,900 LT with DC FC inlet for $29,400 before $3750 Federal tax credit. Obviously, this is modestly equipped vs. a '19 Leaf SL Plus. You'd want to compare Premier trims with more equipment to be closer but keeping in mind Bolt doesn't have certain features at all like adaptive cruise control, ProPilot equivalent nor nav system. You either use CarPlay, Android Auto or you can get some turn-by-turn directions via OnStar (have to pay for subscription for that. I use Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps via CarPlay.

countryleaf said:

It's often hard to get a big discount on a car on order, but if you are in the Puget Sound region Campbell Nissan in Everett has a red SL Plus in stock, and they are asking for less than that. You should be able to talk them down further, since until last week they wanted only ~$41,600 for it. Also, ask about the Nissan VPP (Vehicle Purchase Program) which gives you a sizable discount if you work for one of many employers. That discount comes from Nissan and not the dealership, so I have been able to get it on top of any dealer discounts in the past.

For VPP, the site is https://www.insidenissan.com/home_nis.psp. Sadly, when I last checked, my employer isn't on the list/eligible. Long ago, I did work for one that was.

cwerdna said:
For VPP, the site is https://www.insidenissan.com/home_nis.psp. Sadly, when I last checked, my employer isn't on the list/eligible. Long ago, I did work for one that was.

Thanks for posting the link. I would make sure to ask the dealership about it, because the VPP website doesn't seem to think my employer is part of the program, but I'm pretty sure it still is. At least, I was able to use it back in March when I bought my Leaf.

countryleaf said:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=54aab1fd-5ea5-49b5-9edb-2be68e25c223

Alternatively I can give you the contact info from the Oakland area dealership & for $15 & 18 hours of your life saves thousands!

Back