LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 pm

And don't leave it plugged in for many hours after or before charging - even with the AGM battery, which was a good idea.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IAMTHESTIG
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Nov 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm

What’s wrong with leaving it plugged in if it’s not actively charging?

Lothsahn
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:52 pm

IAMTHESTIG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm
What’s wrong with leaving it plugged in if it’s not actively charging?
Somehow leaving it plugged in, but not charging, keeps the computer awake (possibly polling the presence of the charging cable), causing the 12V battery to drain quickly. It only takes about 2-3 days to cause my car to have a completely dead 12V battery if I leave it plugged in.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

WetEV
Posts: 3311
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Lothsahn wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:52 pm
IAMTHESTIG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm
What’s wrong with leaving it plugged in if it’s not actively charging?
Somehow leaving it plugged in, but not charging, keeps the computer awake (possibly polling the presence of the charging cable), causing the 12V battery to drain quickly. It only takes about 2-3 days to cause my car to have a completely dead 12V battery if I leave it plugged in.
I don't think later cars have this problem.

The 2011 and 2012 didn't recharge the 12V battery while plugged in and not charging. Both higher drain than when sitting, and not charging periodically as is done while sitting lead to a dead battery in a few days.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Lothsahn
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:00 pm

WetEV wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:52 pm
IAMTHESTIG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm
What’s wrong with leaving it plugged in if it’s not actively charging?
Somehow leaving it plugged in, but not charging, keeps the computer awake (possibly polling the presence of the charging cable), causing the 12V battery to drain quickly. It only takes about 2-3 days to cause my car to have a completely dead 12V battery if I leave it plugged in.
I don't think later cars have this problem.

The 2011 and 2012 didn't recharge the 12V battery while plugged in and not charging. Both higher drain than when sitting, and not charging periodically as is done while sitting lead to a dead battery in a few days.
Supposedly was fixed sometime in the 2014 model year, maybe. My car can go 3 weeks unplugged and start just fine. 3 days plugged in and it's dead. So the power drain difference is indeed quite large.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm

WetEV wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm
Lothsahn wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:52 pm
IAMTHESTIG wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm
What’s wrong with leaving it plugged in if it’s not actively charging?
Somehow leaving it plugged in, but not charging, keeps the computer awake (possibly polling the presence of the charging cable), causing the 12V battery to drain quickly. It only takes about 2-3 days to cause my car to have a completely dead 12V battery if I leave it plugged in.
I don't think later cars have this problem.

The 2011 and 2012 didn't recharge the 12V battery while plugged in and not charging. Both higher drain than when sitting, and not charging periodically as is done while sitting lead to a dead battery in a few days.

Yes. The problem to which WetEV refers is a different one. You can still drain the 12 volt battery on ANY 2011-2017 Leaf by leaving it plugged in but not charging for long periods. I don't know if it was finally fixed in the 2018+ Leaf, and don't want to test it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IAMTHESTIG
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Nov 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 am

Ahh yes. I did read that on this site during my research. However during my troubleshooting of my 12 V battery when it died I had a multimeter on it, trying to see if it was getting charged when the car was “on”, which it was. I also turned to car of e then plugged in to charge the car, and a few seconds after I saw voltage go up to 14-15V for about a minute or so then back to rest. So that leads me to believe the car is capable is charging the 12 V battery when plugged in, though when and how often I don’t know. I was just making sure the car was even charging the battery.

I was also doing parasitic discharge testing and found the car was drawing .5 amps for 2-3 minutes after reconnecting the 12 V battery. Then it dropped down to .02 amps. How often that high draw happens and what was causing it I don't know. I’m assuming the computer as the car was not on.

There is conflicting information on this so I’m kind of just trying to figure it out on my own.

GaleHawkins
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365
Location: Murray KY

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am

IAMTHESTIG wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 am
Ahh yes. I did read that on this site during my research. However during my troubleshooting of my 12 V battery when it died I had a multimeter on it, trying to see if it was getting charged when the car was “on”, which it was. I also turned to car of e then plugged in to charge the car, and a few seconds after I saw voltage go up to 14-15V for about a minute or so then back to rest. So that leads me to believe the car is capable is charging the 12 V battery when plugged in, though when and how often I don’t know. I was just making sure the car was even charging the battery.

I was also doing parasitic discharge testing and found the car was drawing .5 amps for 2-3 minutes after reconnecting the 12 V battery. Then it dropped down to .02 amps. How often that high draw happens and what was causing it I don't know. I’m assuming the computer as the car was not on.

There is conflicting information on this so I’m kind of just trying to figure it out on my own.
Owning an EV is the best way to learn about them in real time.

We will be adding EV's in the family in the years ahead so we went with a used one that will work for our 30 mile round trips and let us learn about EV's at the same time without breaking the bank much worse.

Best of learning and having fun. People have a lot of questions since they have never talked to an EV owner in many cases. At WalMart the other day I did get called a liberal because I was charging a car that said Zero Emissions on the door. If she only knew! :)

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13749
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I also turned to car of e then plugged in to charge the car, and a few seconds after I saw voltage go up to 14-15V for about a minute or so then back to rest. So that leads me to believe the car is capable is charging the 12 V battery when plugged in, though when and how often I don’t know. I was just making sure the car was even charging the battery.

The issue is when you leave the car plugged in but not charging for a long time, either because charging has finished or because a timer has been set that won't allow charging to start for many hours. Also, the charge delivered to the 12 volt battery while the main one charges is enough to maintain the existing charge of the 12 volt battery, but is not sufficient to recharge it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IAMTHESTIG
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Nov 2019
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Should I do it? '14 SL w/36K for $11.5K?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Yeah generally I don't leave it plugged in anyhow, I try not to plug it in until I actually want to charge it. I did try the charging timer but i've decided I don't like having to unplug it if I need to do a quick trip - it wasn't charging yet anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on the 12V battery for a couple months as i'm all paranoid now.

Anyway thanks everyone for the help, you've been awesome.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”