charge while in "ready" mode ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyShackleford

I have rigged my Leaf up to be able to use a 1kw 12vdc->120vac inverter as a source of backup power for grid outages, as described in: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097 . In order for the DC-to-DC converter to be able to supply the 100+ amps of 12vdc current that the inverter needs, the car must be placed into "ready" mode (as you do when you want to drive).

I am installing a PV solar system, which includes provision for supplying backup power (2kw @ 120vac) when the grid is down and the sun is shining. It contains no storage (batteries). I am thinking of using this to power my Leaf's Level 1 charger. What I'm wondering, can I connect the PV system to the Leaf's J1772 charging inlet simultaneously with using the 12vdc->120vac inverter to power my house's critical loads ? Probably the crux of this is, can the Leaf's charger operate while the car is in "ready" mode ?

If we call the modes Off, Acc, On, and Ready, then IIRC (I'm sure that someone will post a polite correction if I'm wrong),
1) You can put the Leaf into On, but not into Ready, while the charging cable is plugged in. I've done this many times.
2) While in Ready or On, the DC-to-DC converter will keep the 12V battery charged. I've seen 14 or 13 volts in LeafSpy for the 12V battery while charging with J1772 in On, indicating the 12V is getting charged.
3) The 12V does not get charged in Acc. I don't vouch for this personally, but it's been posted in this forum.

1) and 2) would indicate your proposal would work (not in Ready but in On), but I can't say whether the DC-to-DC can supply 1 kW. The most I've seen in LS is maybe 15 amps at 14 volts going into the 12V battery, but that was without any enormous drain on the 12V battery.

TheLostPetrol said:
1) and 2) would indicate your proposal would work (not in Ready but in On), but I can't say whether the DC-to-DC can supply 1 kW. The most I've seen in LS is maybe 15 amps at 14 volts going into the 12V battery, but that was without any enormous drain on the 12V battery.
My impression from this forum (including the thread I linked) is that the DC-to-DC can easily support a 1kw inverter, but that the car must be in "ready" mode.

So if you say you cannot charge in "ready", then I don't think my proposal will work.

RustyShackleford said:
TheLostPetrol said:
My impression from this forum (including the thread I linked) is that the DC-to-DC can easily support a 1kw inverter, but that the car must be in "ready" mode.

So if you say you cannot charge in "ready", then I don't think my proposal will work.

That is correct. The car cannot charge while in ready mode. However, as far as I know, the DC-to-DC converter IS enabled when charging. So this project of your still may work anyway.

That said, how well regulated is that 2kw solar system? In general, without batteries, solar panels may be unable to supply enough voltage (or too much voltage) as the sun radiation changes. If the power isn't clean, it may not be good for the Leaf.

The DC-DC converter can easily support 1kW. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097&p=565824&hilit=ingineer#p565824

Lothsahn said:
That is correct. The car cannot charge while in ready mode. However, as far as I know, the DC-to-DC converter IS enabled when charging. So this project of your still may work anyway.

The DC-DC converter can easily support 1kW. https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13097&p=565824&hilit=ingineer#p565824
Yes, but I believe that same link repeatedly states that the car must be in "ready" mode to support that kind of amperage.

I guess I could verify that. Connect the 1kw inverter with a good-sized AC load on it. Switch the car to one of modes other than "ready" and look at the 12v battery. If the DC-to-DC is not supplying all the amps the 1kw inverter needs, it'll have to pull it from the battery and the battery voltage will probably be less than 12v.
That said, how well regulated is that 2kw solar system? In general, without batteries, solar panels may be unable to supply enough voltage (or too much voltage) as the sun radiation changes. If the power isn't clean, it may not be good for the Leaf.
I'm not sure how regulated. Nor am I sure how much the L1 pulls (it's a portable cord that came with my Leaf, with a plug that can be interchanged between L1 (120vac) and L2 (240vac) input. I do doubt that the Leaf needs that AC input to be terribly clean though, because probably the first thing the on-board charger does is to rectify it and step it up to 400v or so, not sure in what order.

RustyShackleford said:
I'm not sure how regulated. Nor am I sure how much the L1 pulls (it's a portable cord that came with my Leaf, with a plug that can be interchanged between L1 (120vac) and L2 (240vac) input. I do doubt that the Leaf needs that AC input to be terribly clean though, because probably the first thing the on-board charger does is to rectify it and step it up to 400v or so, not sure in what order.

The plug draws around 1.5KW from the wall (12-15A, 110V). I'm sure the charger will clean up the voltage, as you say, and not impact the battery. My concern is how much that'll impact the life of the charger in the car. The charger may not have been designed to accept unclean AC over a long period of time. If so, and your charger's life is significantly shortened, this could end up as an expensive repair.

Lothsahn said:
The charger may not have been designed to accept unclean AC over a long period of time. If so, and your charger's life is significantly shortened, this could end up as an expensive repair.
I know the SMA inverter simply turns the secure-power outlet off if there's not enough insolation to support the load. But no way to figure out how clean the signal is without scoping it, I guess. One thing though, I wouldn't be doing this a lot, only during multi-day power failures.

Back