40 Amp Level 2 Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PennBruce

Has anyone any experience with using a 40 amp level 2 charger on a Leaf +? If so, what was the kw charge rate?

I have been googling to try and find the maximum charge rate that the Leaf+ will accept. No joy.

Thanks,

Bruce

For Gen1 (2011-2017) the highest charge rate for L2 on a Leaf is 6.6kW @ 27.5A and 240V. Some Gen1 Leafs had an L2 charger that maxed out at half of that. I'm not sure about the specs for 2018-2019 but the specs on the Nissan site say the 2019 Leaf+ also has the 6.6kW on-board charger so it looks like L2 hasn't changed, although the DCFC spec is higher on the newer + models vs the Gen1 Leafs that had DCFC.

If you want full 6.6kw you might as well pay a little more and get an 8 or 9kw evse. If you just buy a 6.6kw evse at least get a full on 50 amp circuit installed as majority of the cost of adding a circuit is labor.

As far as I know e+ got and is going to continue to have 6.6kw built in charging.

There was some speculation that the e+ might get 9 to 11kw charging, but it hasn't happened.

goldbrick said:
For Gen1 (2011-2017) the highest charge rate for L2 on a Leaf is 6.6kW @ 27.5A and 240V. Some Gen1 Leafs had an L2 charger that maxed out at half of that. I'm not sure about the specs for 2018-2019 but the specs on the Nissan site say the 2019 Leaf+ also has the 6.6kW on-board charger so it looks like L2 hasn't changed, although the DCFC spec is higher on the newer + models vs the Gen1 Leafs that had DCFC.

Correct with the exception '11 and '12 Leafs maxed out at 16a @ 240v(12a @ 120v) and S model Leafs maxed out at 16a 240v and also 120v. Note the newest S model Leafs may also have the 6.6kw on-board charger, I just don't know but it would make sense if they did. One thing for sure, if it did they would say it. With the 6.6kw charger anything about 27.5a is unutilized from the source(but for future proofing it doesn't hurt).

^ Except that charging hasn't gotten slower, the battery has just gotten bigger. There are a few scenarios in which higher power L2 would be useful, but for the most part L2 is used at night where even 16 A is sufficient, or you are in a hurry and you find a L3 instead.

I was saying I charge 2011 leaf at a faster rate than 6.6lw. It's nice, especially during winter.

For over night charging 16 amps at 240 is usually plenty of power.

webeleafowners said:
Oilpan4 said:
I was saying I charge 2011 leaf at a faster rate than 6.6lw. It's nice, especially during winter.

Hmm. I don’t know. It seems to me a 2011 maxed out at 3.3 kw.
OIl-y is trolling for attention.
He has a puny, DIY maintain and repair CHAdeMO at home that is a bit faster than a 6.6 kW OBC. Nothing prevents an owner of any newer generation LEAF with a CHAdeMO port from doing the same.

Back to the thread topic, please.

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
Oilpan4 said:

OIl-y is trolling.
He has a puny CHAdeMO at home that is a bit faster than a 6.6 kW OBC. Nothing prevents an owner of a newer generation LEAF from doing the same.

Ahhh.

It was made by setec. They have no product support so repairs are diy. I took a chance on one that would turn on but not charge the vehicle. Turned out to be a bad 12v power supply.
Other than that no problems.

webeleafowners said:
OIl-y is trolling for attention.
He has a puny, DIY maintain and repair CHAdeMO at home that is a bit faster than a 6.6 kW OBC. Nothing prevents an owner of any newer generation LEAF with a CHAdeMO port from doing the same. The addressable market for this sort of thing after 2014-15 (when > 6.6 kW OBC became standard on the LEAF) is almost zero. The only case I can think of are people with a broken OBC who prefer to put the money into a slow DC charger at a destination instead of repair.

Back to the thread topic of L2 charging, please.

The summary so far:

No one knows if we can charge a Leaf+ at more than 6.6kw via the J1772 receptacle.

No one is concerned about this as they are satisfied with the 6.6kw charge rate.

I am about to buy a second charger so I will order a 40 amp and then we'll have the answer.

Bruce

PennBruce said:
The summary so far:

No one knows if we can charge a Leaf+ at more than 6.6kw via the J1772 receptacle.

No one is concerned about this as they are satisfied with the 6.6kw charge rate.

I am about to buy a second charger so I will order a 40 amp and then we'll have the answer.

Bruce

You can buy what you want but I'd say the consensus is that a Leaf+ will only charge at a max rate of 6.6kW on any L2 EVSE.

The overload capability of the onboard charger is irrelevant, as the car will limit the rate to 6.6kw. The external connection for the J-1772 port is not a "charger" BTW: it is a "charging cable" or "charging station" or "EVSE.

Actually, my SL+ draws slightly more current (if allowed by the EVSE) than the 2015. The difference is only one of two amperes at 240 volts so it is not really significant. A 32-ampere or higher EVSE (40A or higher supply circuit) will get you the maximum charge rate at 240 volts.

PennBruce said:
No one knows if we can charge a Leaf at more than 6.6kw via the J1772 receptacle.
Go to the Nissan website and view the LEAF specs. Try not to miss it since it is on the second line.

Back