2019 LEAF SL WITH PRO PILOT & AUTO EMERGENCY BRAKING WITH PEDESTRIAN DETCTION

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disorder

MY 2019 LEAF Has Pro Pilot Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Control
How Can you test it to make sure it is working?
i have tried Aiming the car towards a Large object And nothing at all Happens
is there a way to test it i don't think its working and from what i have read
its always on once engaged when you go down the screen to turn it on
i have had some emergency stops and still nothing
has Anybody out there Have any experience with this?

Mine starts beeping almost every time I pull up to my house too quickly. I don’t want to advise you to run into your house but it should alert you a fair bit before the point of no return.

Hi All,
I have a 2019 SV with the mentions feature set.
I can't confirm pedestrian detection yet but all the other detections work.
The rear detection is very useful when backing out of a blind parking space. If there is any motion behind you or to to the sides you will get a beep and the blind spot indicator in the side view will flash on the side the motion is on. It's pretty sensitive so there will be false positives in that depending on the angle of your car and the layout of the parking lot it will see motion in places other than directly near you. It makes me look again and that's fine with me.
Front collision works as well. If you approach a stopped car to fast and aren't slowing it will beep then change tone I believe then apply brakes.
I can't say it will actually stop you before you hit but it will slow you down.
It does get disabled in heavy rain or if there is snow on the sensor. An indicator shows on the center screen when this happens.

Hope that helps,
Greg

I can confirm that emergency braking works on my 2019 SL. More than once I have been using adaptive cruise control on the freeway, maintaining proper following distance, only to have someone change lanes abruptly in front of me going 20 MPH slower than I am then slam on their brakes. After a beep or two, the LEAF will dutifully slam on its brakes.

No Matter what i do it does not engage the system
I can see a sensor under the front end of the car
I called the dealer and they said to bring it in
There 70 miles away there is a whole day gone and a 150 miles of traffic
and more than likely if the sensor is bad
They probably won't have it in stock
then i would have to go back again another wasted day
I dont Trust Service Departments at dealerships
Usually it a few young kids working there that don't look
old enough to Be able to Vote I was just looking for a simple way
to avoid the Hassle of going to the service Department
There ok for recalls which are easy but a far as diagnosing
im not confident in there abilities just my two cents
From Previous experiences am i wrong?

I thought you where Messing Around with Me Being a Smart Alec ?
A Trash Bag you mean The Big Black Ones That we use to use?
All I Have Are Tall Kitchen Trash Bags not very big
and Empty Wood Pellet 40 Pound Bags not very big
I have not used a Big Trash Bag in so many Years
How many gallons are you Suggesting? a 32-40 Gallon Bag?

What about a Tall cardboard Box
48" Tall !8" Wide 8"Deep
Used to ship guitars
Would That work?
You seem to know quite a lot answer this if you can
When i First Got My 2019 Leaf SL late September and I Charge it Home for the First Month it Read 176 Miles Of Charge
Now 60 Days Later it Charges to 152 miles and the Charging is done at home with a 220 Nissan Charger
on its own dedicated 30 amp Breaker and wired up with the Proper Wire the same charger i used for 4 years on my 2015 model
i live in western Mass and the temps have Dropped but we still get occational warm days nothing real cold yet

Cardboard can do much more damage than plastic bag material.

The range estimator is called the "Guess O Meter" because it tries to predict the future, based on past driving. The current readings are closer to accurate.

I had the "opportunity" to test my 18 SL pedestrian braking and emergency braking features recently.

For the ped test, I was driving along in the evening, dark outside, slowed to an intersection, preparing to turn right. Vehicle had not come to a complete stop and BOOM a random woman decides to fast walk right past my vehicle not even paying attention. Vehicle beeped loudly with the huge triangle and exclamation point, causing my reaction to slam on the brakes. The person was nearly invisible coming from the side in the dark.

For the emergency braking again at night, I was pulling to an intersection when the vehicle in front, which was very close, suddenly stopped. In this case my LEAF sensed I was too close, beeped / display turned triangle AND slammed on the brakes for me.

Fairly impressed that in both situations it detected the pedestrian and stopped vehicle before I could react. I agree with using a large plastic bag, maybe with a large styrofoam filling (like from one of those huge tv boxes) could be a good simulation.

LeftieBiker said:
Try a large garbage bag with a quart of water in the bottom, filled with air.

Plastic and styrofoam are going to be essentially 100% radar transparent. A foil-lined bag would probably work.

Mine will beep at me when I put it in reverse in a parking lot with someone walking behind the car. How about just having someone walk by you as you back up (slowly, don't hit anyone!!) and see if it notifies you? This does not test the automatic braking part, but the sensing part is tested.

The Rear Alarm Works fine
So do the Lane Markers Right And Left
The Blind Spot Alarm as well
And the Self Steering which is Pretty wild deal
when you take your hands off the wheel and it steers itself
Until it yells at you to get your hands back on the wheel
Still have not been able to get the Front Emergency Braking to work
tried the Trash Bag With Water no dice Nothing happened!
I thought more of the car when it Fully charged to 176 miles
it was great now at 152 miles when Fully charged it seems to go
down quick almost bringing back the Range Anxiety this colder
weather the last few day has really affected the mileage range
I expected that on my 2015 but not this 2019 i wonder if the battery
is losing storage capacity already hope not its a 2018 Fall Build

The range estimate doesn't represent the battery capacity - it only represents how far the car thinks it can go under the most recent driving conditions. Cold weather reduces range.

I'm sorry the garbage bag test failed. Another poster may have been right: if the car uses radar only for pedestrian detection, then you may need a foil-lined bag. I find it odd that radar is used to detect children, though...

In this video, starting at 2:03 it shows the Europe testing of the AEB for vehicle obstructions and pedestrians. I wonder what material is in the fake walking person in there?

https://youtu.be/CVeSCjgACiA

This seems to be a known safety issue:

http://www.nissanproblems.com/aeb/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/faulty-radars-compromising-nissan-emergency-braking-system/

Back