Totaled my 2016 S what to replace it with?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 396

I had a 2016 Leaf S with the 24 kWh battery and not QC with 35,000 miles and 11 bars that I am sorry to see go. I tried to baby the battery by charging to 80% and parking in the shade, etc. I was hoping to get 70,000 miles before the range was not equal to my 55 mile round trip commute.
I have not received a number from the insurance yet, but expect it will be 8-9k. If I add some savings I should be able to spend $16-17,000 for a replacement.
After the Leaf, we bought a 2017 Kia Soul ev as a second car and vowed never to go back to a ICE again.
For that price a used Leaf or Soul is possible. We have enjoyed the DC fast charging on a few longer trips and will try to we get that on our next vehicle.

Any ideas for a short range commuter EV are welcome. I am willing to do a PHEV, but prefer the EV only.

I assume that price is a real issue. I suggest a 2017 Leaf S30 or un-optioned SV, but only one that still has 11 or 12 capacity bars without the BMS update. This will give you substantially more range than your S had, so you hopefully won't need another EV for at least 5 years. There do seem to be good 30kwh packs, but I still don't trust those that dropped multiple bars, even those that seem to have been 'restored' by the BMS update.

I would think that, after EV rebates, you could purchase a new Chevy Bolt, if you stretch your budget just a bit.

You might be able to find a used 2017 Hyundai Ioniq BEV in your price range too, if you get lucky.

alozzy said:
I would think that, after EV rebates, you could purchase a new Chevy Bolt, if you stretch your budget just a bit.

You might be able to find a used 2017 Hyundai Ioniq BEV in your price range too, if you get lucky.
The former might be a bit on the tougher side even if the OP qualified for $2000 CVRP (https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligibility-guidelines). Would be better if they're low income to qualify for more. I don't know of the best deals, but I see https://www.criswellchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?sort=salePrice%7Casc&search=new&make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV on the other side of the country (supposedly $25,235 for a new 2020 Bolt LT w/only DC FC inlet and nothing else).

Federal tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is down to $1875, as well.

Finding a used Ioniq BEV might be really tough. Look at the puny numbers they sold in the US at https://insideevs.com/news/343998/monthly-plug-in-ev-sales-scorecard/ and https://insideevs.com/news/344007/monthly-plug-in-ev-sales-scorecard-historical-charts/. For the longest time, it (for the US) was basically So Cal only virtual vaporware.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/2976319265732824/ pointed to an 11-bar '17 SV at https://www.campbellnissanofedmonds.com/inventory/certified-used-2017-nissan-leaf-sv-front-wheel-drive-4d-hatchback-1n4bz0cp5hc300060 for $14,950 that came from various parts of Nor Cal (https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DEY_0&vin=1N4BZ0CP5HC300060). From the pics, it doesn't appear to have premium but does have CHAdeMO. (From looking at specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-f6fcf40f78a54118a8a01526272638f0-us-2017-nissan-leaf-press-kit, looks like '17 SV and SL come with CHAdeMO.)

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, the SV comes with Chademo standard from '15 through '17.
Doesn't look like it's standard on '15 SV. See specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-513847a8aeeb48d480a52a8fbdcdbd93-us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit. Does seem standard on '16 SV and '16 SL (specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-bc61419969d1446daf58c4f84915aad3-us-2016-nissan-leaf-press-kit).

It's always been standard on '12 to '17 SL though.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Yes, the SV comes with Chademo standard from '15 through '17.
Doesn't look like it's standard on '15 SV. See specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-513847a8aeeb48d480a52a8fbdcdbd93-us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit. Does seem standard on '16 SV and '16 SL (specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-bc61419969d1446daf58c4f84915aad3-us-2016-nissan-leaf-press-kit).

It's always been standard on '12 to '17 SL though.

You're right. I definitely remember, though, reading an ad or web-zine teaser for the '15 Leaf that mentioned both standard 17" wheels and standard QC. I should know better than to take those things seriously...

There should be some killer deals on 2019's coming soon, or if the tax rebates won't help you, then 2016 and 2017's fall in that price range,, or used 2018's if you are willing to finance a bit.

If you can wait a few months you could pick up a 2019 40 kWh as low as 25k or better depending on trim. Subtract off rebates and tax credits and you could be down around 15k for a brand new Leafy.

danrjones said:
There should be some killer deals on 2019's coming soon, or if the tax rebates won't help you, then 2016 and 2017's fall in that price range,, or used 2018's if you are willing to finance a bit.

If you can wait a few months you could pick up a 2019 40 kWh as low as 25k or better depending on trim. Subtract off rebates and tax credits and you could be down around 15k for a brand new Leafy.

I can wait a few months for a better deal. I do not like to rely on getting a tax credit in the future to justify a higher price that would require me to finance now, but I would do it under the scenario you describe with a new 40 kWh Leaf.

I have been dismayed at the prices for the used ~2018 Leaf, Ioniq and Bolts in Northern CA.

Calaveras said:
danrjones said:

I can wait a few months for a better deal. I do not like to rely on getting a tax credit in the future to justify a higher price that would require me to finance now, but I would do it under the scenario you describe with a new 40 kWh Leaf.

I have been dismayed at the prices for the used ~2018 Leaf, Ioniq and Bolts in Northern CA.

Keep in mind that carmax will move inventory and the price stays the same. So if you find a good deal that price will follow the vehicle, though you might have a fee for moving it.

Though I agree the price for a used 2018 is at the point where, if you can use and qualify for the rebates and tax credits, you do almost as well buying new. Also check the warranty - at some point Nissan made the warranty better. Not sure if it was 2018 or before that.

I simply borrow from myself and then pay back the credit so I did not finance the 7500 tax credit portion. As an example, last may I was able to get a 2018 SV with tech and weather for just about 15,540 after rebates and credits where I live. New.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Calaveras said:
I have not received a number from the insurance yet, but expect it will be 8-9k. If I add some savings I should be able to spend $16-17,000 for a replacement.

Any ideas for a short range commuter EV are welcome. I am willing to do a PHEV, but prefer the EV only.

If you just need a short-range commuter EV, why push your budget into savings? You could get a 2011-2016 Leaf with a 40-90% battery for $3-9k, then if it's still under 55 miles range, spend $4-7k on a fresh 40kWh battery from Fenix or your nearest equivalent and still come in $5-9k under budget. There are so many new EVs coming out in the next few years that spending almost $20k for a used short-range commuter seems silly.

coleafrado said:

Calaveras said:

If you just need a short-range commuter EV, why push your budget into savings? You could get a 2011-2016 Leaf with a 40-90% battery for $3-9k, then if it's still under 55 miles range, spend $4-7k on a fresh 40kWh battery from Fenix or your nearest equivalent and still come in $5-9k under budget. There are so many new EVs coming out in the next few years that spending almost $20k for a used short-range commuter seems silly.
Fenix has yet to produce anything. It could be a very long wait despite their promises of imminent production. Finding a used 30 KWH battery is possible but has problems of its own if replacing a 24 KWH battery. Your best bet is to find a 2016 or 2017 coming off lease. The battery is likely to be in decent shape and still has a lot of warranty left on the battery. $12-13K ought to be enough to get the job done.

Ditto. I wouldn't hold one's breath for Fenix to ship a product which is their own to real customers that's proven both reliable and safe. I doubt they'll hit that by end of 2020 judging by the trickle of info we've seen and apparent lack of progress.

coleafrado said:

Calaveras said:

Maybe it depends on your location but 2015's on carmax near me have still been running around 8-11k.

At that price, why wouldn't you spend a few k more to get it new? Better range, newer tech, and better warranty.

That's part of the problem with used EVs in general is that in some areas, new is actually cheaper with rebates and tax credits.
I really wish more rebates and credits could also be applied to used. When I bought I got 14k in credits and rebates. ONLY 1k of that was also good toward used.

danrjones said:
coleafrado said:

Calaveras said:

Maybe it depends on your location but 2015's on carmax near me have still been running around 8-11k.

At that price, why wouldn't you spend a few k more to get it new? Better range, newer tech, and better warranty.

That's part of the problem with used EVs in general is that in some areas, new is actually cheaper with rebates and tax credits.
I really wish more rebates and credits could also be applied to used. When I bought I got 14k in credits and rebates. ONLY 1k of that was also good toward used.

It's a tactic to get more total vehicles into the supply stream rather than recycling vehicles & incentives

There are some good point made here.
I had a 2016 D25 with 11 bars and would have been fine with the 65 mileS I was getting for a few more years. The depreciation of all EVs means that I am not going to get much to replace it with unless I add some cash. Option 1 is get another of the same. They go for about 9-10k
There are a number of 2017 Leafs out there for $12-14. That is my default option. I get a year newer and less miles and charging cycles.

There are always great opportunities next year, but if you were to buy a EV today under $20k What would you do?

Assuming that you mean a used EV, I would look for a 2017 Leaf SV that has 12 bars without the BMS update ever having been done. That would ensure a good pack and very good range. I'd also want it to have the Premium Package.

Calaveras said:
There are some good point made here.
I had a 2016 D25 with 11 bars and would have been fine with the 65 mileS I was getting for a few more years. The depreciation of all EVs means that I am not going to get much to replace it with unless I add some cash. Option 1 is get another of the same. They go for about 9-10k
There are a number of 2017 Leafs out there for $12-14. That is my default option. I get a year newer and less miles and charging cycles.

There are always great opportunities next year, but if you were to buy a EV today under $20k What would you do?

I think there are a lot of great options in that price range. I think the best value for your money would be a 2017 Leaf S for $12-13K, though you might want a SV with a heat pump if you want better cold weather range. Another option would be an early BMW i3 (possibly with a range extender), which around here seem to be going for $16K. It's pushing your budget and your local inventory might be different, but you might be able to find 40kWh Leafs for about $19K.

Back