coleafrado

Re: POLL: Would you buy a $500 Tesla Supercharger or CCS -> CHAdeMO adapter? What would you risk to make it happen?

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Zythryn wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:06 pm
No, I don’t think they can. I definitely don’t think they should, even if they could.
The other car companies were given the chance to join in, they didn’t. End of story.
It's morally wrong for non-Tesla drivers to have access to Tesla fast chargers, since we clearly have a say in Nissan/GM/Kia HQ's choices against partnering with Tesla, but it's totally fine for Tesla to offer adapters so CHAdeMO stations can be used by any Tesla owner. Interesting point of view!

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: POLL: Would you buy a $500 Tesla Supercharger or CCS -> CHAdeMO adapter? What would you risk to make it happen?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:43 am

cwerdna wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:08 pm
johnlocke wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 pm
Chademo is dying a slow death in the US. EVGO is starting to install Tesla plugs on their equipment.
By attaching a CHAdeMO to Tesla North American plug adapter on some of their DC FCs: https://www.evgo.com/tesla-charging/.
https://www.evgo.com/wp-content/uploads ... 16x570.jpg has a larger/more visible pic.
That web page also says "or the Tesla connectors available at select San Francisco EVgo stations". In the picture you link, you can see the middle is a Tesla connector (e.g., that station is not using a CHAdeMO adapter).
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 am

coleafrado wrote:
Zythryn wrote:
No, I don’t think they can. I definitely don’t think they should, even if they could.
The other car companies were given the chance to join in, they didn’t. End of story.
It's morally wrong for non-Tesla drivers to have access to Tesla fast chargers, since we clearly have a say in Nissan/GM/Kia HQ's choices against partnering with Tesla, but it's totally fine for Tesla to offer adapters so CHAdeMO stations can be used by any Tesla owner. Interesting point of view!
It's a view I agree with. CHAdeMO was always offered as a vehicle-agnostic service. Supercharger network was built from the ground up by Tesla to support their fleet, and therefore paid for by Tesla owners. Tesla's foresight and dedication to a viable charging network have given them a distinct competitive advantage. For some pencil-pushing regulator to blunt that and commandeer that infrastructure would be completely unethical.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:04 am

jlv wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:43 am
cwerdna wrote:
johnlocke wrote:
Chademo is dying a slow death in the US. EVGO is starting to install Tesla plugs on their equipment.
By attaching a CHAdeMO to Tesla North American plug adapter on some of their DC FCs: https://www.evgo.com/tesla-charging/.
https://www.evgo.com/wp-content/uploads ... 16x570.jpg has a larger/more visible pic.
That web page also says "or the Tesla connectors available at select San Francisco EVgo stations". In the picture you link, you can see the middle is a Tesla connector (e.g., that station is not using a CHAdeMO adapter).
Yes it is. The CHAdeMO adapter is part of the box on the left side. https://insideevs.com/news/390154/video ... connector/ maybe will give you a better look. Ditto for https://www.plugshare.com/location/10827. I can try to find other Plugshare pics of EVgo SF locations later tonight.

Notice the CHAdeMO cable (coming out of the DC FC) and connector being plugged into the box on the left? The Tesla proprietary connector comes out of that box, which is the adapter.
Last edited by cwerdna on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:37 am

Nubo wrote:
It's a view I agree with. CHAdeMO was always offered as a vehicle-agnostic service. Supercharger network was built from the ground up by Tesla to support their fleet, and therefore paid for by Tesla owners. Tesla's foresight and dedication to a viable charging network have given them a distinct competitive advantage. For some pencil-pushing regulator to blunt that and commandeer that infrastructure would be completely unethical.
Monopoly is evil.
Ending evil is ethical.

Tesla might or might not get a monopoly.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am

Nubo wrote:
coleafrado wrote:
Zythryn wrote:
I don't disagree. Tesla would need to be compensated. Not like there are no conceivable solutions - having the government declare that everyone support cross-compatibility itself wouldn't be evil or immoral per se. It just has to be one in a fair way.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:12 pm

coleafrado wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 pm
<snip>
How much would you, personally, be willing to risk on a campaign to lobby the US Department(s) of Energy+Transportation and Federal Trade Commission to mandate (in the interest of US transportation security) that all charging networks allow EVs with any default connector to use adapters for quick-charging at any station?

Tesla has claimed that they'll let other manufacturers use the Supercharging network provided they shoulder some of the infrastructure cost. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesl ... r-network/
This seems like a good thing for the legacy auto manufacturers to lobby for. Wouldn't cost much and would blunt Tesla's accelerating lead in EV adoption. Unlike Tesla, legacy auto cares little about advancing sustainable transport. So, let's take a model for something that works very well (Supercharger Network) and instead of copying/improving it, let's break it by forcing access with slow-ass charging cars and congesting the network. This can be considered a force multiplier. Plus lobbying is cheap. Much cheaper than building stuff.

So, to answer your question, as a DCFC LEAF and Tesla owner, I'd spend good money to defeat this silly idea. Silly, unless you want to slow down progress on charging infrastructure. Then it's brilliant.

coleafrado

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:05 pm

sparky wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:12 pm
This seems like a good thing for the legacy auto manufacturers to lobby for. Wouldn't cost much and would blunt Tesla's accelerating lead in EV adoption. Unlike Tesla, legacy auto cares little about advancing sustainable transport. So, let's take a model for something that works very well (Supercharger Network) and instead of copying/improving it, let's break it by forcing access with slow-ass charging cars and congesting the network. This can be considered a force multiplier. Plus lobbying is cheap. Much cheaper than building stuff.

So, to answer your question, as a DCFC LEAF and Tesla owner, I'd spend good money to defeat this silly idea. Silly, unless you want to slow down progress on charging infrastructure. Then it's brilliant.
Interesting idea. Maybe we can get Big Oil to support this motion (to help LEAFs struggling to find QCs on the road, but really to defeat Tesla).
/s

On a serious note, it's bizarre to me to see Tesla owners and shareholders shaking in their boots at the idea of more people using the Tesla SC network.

Every additional Tesla sold is another Tesla that may take up a SC spot - and the current network just ain't gonna cut it if Tesla wants to sell 5-10 million EV sedans/SUVs and trucks every year. A few thousand pottering old Leafs charging with adapters at spare Superchargers is going to be the least of Tesla's worries when there are millions of Teslas treating their city's only Supercharger like one of their neighborhood's half dozen gas stations. :|

Never ceases to amaze that literally the only people who vehemently disagree just so happen to be owners of Tesla stock/cars. I thought the whole idea was to increase Tesla's gross margin by opening up new markets. :?

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 pm

cwerdna wrote:
johnlocke wrote:

No, the newest units have a Tesla plug on one side and a CCS plug on the other side. Plugs directly into the Tesla charge port. Seems that they decided to try and get more of the Tesla charging business. After all there are more Tesla's than any other brand.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 pm

johnlocke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 pm
No, the newest units have a Tesla plug on one side and a CCS plug on the other side. Plugs directly into the Tesla charge port. Seems that they decided to try and get more of the Tesla charging business. After all there are more Tesla's than any other brand.
Have pics, videos or Plugshare URLs of such locations?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”