DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Re: I saw this on Google News, "We Drive A 2020 Nissan LEAF SL Plus At A Constant 70 MPH To Test Its Range

Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am

Learjet wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:35 am
I would second that. I am also very interested to hear about your experience with them.

Wow, 51 psi side wall rated. That sounds like a receipt for efficiency.
Efficient right up to the point until you skid on a wet road and hit something....or can stop soon enough on a dry road due to the reduced contact patch.

I would be careful with that much over the recommend amount. There are many downfalls to over inflation that some of you guys seem to discount. These recommend tire pressures are based on size of tire and the weight they are carrying....this is NOT something Nissan came up with....for those who like to bash Nissan....these pressure vs. weights are based on tire engineering and standards set by standard tire certifications.

Over inflation is not just going over the max rated psi number on the sidewall...it's going over the optimum pressure for the max weight the tire will actual carry.
The very idea that Nissan spent a dime to determine the correct tire pressure on the LEAF is quite laughable. The problem is they didn't. They simply plugged in their tired old formula that half ass works for gassers and called it good.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 13,705 mi, 93.41% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: I saw this on Google News, "We Drive A 2020 Nissan LEAF SL Plus At A Constant 70 MPH To Test Its Range

Sun May 10, 2020 12:22 pm

There are many downfalls to over inflation that some of you guys seem to discount.
Not to seem like the vocabulary police, but this is a common flub that bugs me no end. The word(s) is "down side" or "downside" NOT "downfall." A down side is a disadvantage. A downfall is what it sounds like: something that ends a career or product run. Having extramarital affairs was John Edward's downfall. Being a political hack who is vague in speeches and on platform details is Joe Biden's downside.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Sun May 10, 2020 4:25 pm

You have to decide. Do you want a little more range and wear your tires out about 20 to 25% faster or a little less range and get another year out of a set of tires?
Those energy savers were about $150 each, I know I don't look forward to replacing them any time soon.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Learjet wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 am
DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:35 am
I would second that. I am also very interested to hear about your experience with them.

Wow, 51 psi side wall rated. That sounds like a receipt for efficiency.
Efficient right up to the point until you skid on a wet road and hit something....or can stop soon enough on a dry road due to the reduced contact patch.

I would be careful with that much over the recommend amount. There are many downfalls to over inflation that some of you guys seem to discount. These recommend tire pressures are based on size of tire and the weight they are carrying....this is NOT something Nissan came up with....for those who like to bash Nissan....these pressure vs. weights are based on tire engineering and standards set by standard tire certifications.

Over inflation is not just going over the max rated psi number on the sidewall...it's going over the optimum pressure for the max weight the tire will actual carry.
They have far superior wet and dry traction compared to the ridiculous OEM Michelins, but the rolling resistance is higher. Based upon my experience with temperature rise of the tires (an indicator of amount of flexing under load), 51 psi seems about right and wet traction at that pressure is excellent for this heavy car.

Edited to add: To those who have asked, I will start a thread on the DriveGuards after I have enough miles on them to publish meaningful data. Preliminary indications are rolling resistance increase (range reduction) of somewhere in the vicinity of 20% with higher loss in stop/go driving and less loss at constant freeway speed. They are much quieter and offer much better wet and dry traction than the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. I attribute the higher range loss during stop/go driving to the increased weight of each tire compared to OEM. The increased rotating mass is more of a concern during acceleration/deceleration than at steady highway speed.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Ok, I just did a test driving about 30 miles in each direction at a pretty constant 70 mph with tires at 44 PSI (outside temp was between 55 and 60F).

Results were 3.3-3.4 in each direction per the dash. A bit lower based on readings in Leafspy, but timing of readings might explain that.

At 58.4 usable kilowatts, that puts range at 192 miles - 198 miles, so pretty close to what Tom measured when you include some buffer.

This did make me realize how much efficiency mgmt I had been doing on my long driving runs in terms of staying with traffic and letting speed drift to compensate for terrain or wind.

Could someone with an S out there within a few hundred feet of sea level try the same. I am curious if the wheel size makes any difference at 70mph. I would say that tire pressure didn't do much at that speed.

I did gps check the speedometer at 70 mph, and it was pretty much right on.

Was watching the out of spec motoring videos for range tests. It looks like the Bolt gets almost the exact same efficiency as the Leaf Plus, though due to bigger battery gets another 20-30 miles more range (makes sense 7kWh x 3.4 = 23-24 miles) .

Interesting that the SR+ with Aero wheels was at about 220 watts per mile (or about 4.5 miles/kWh in perfect weather) at 68-70 mph, but with 20 inch wheels that dropped to 300 watts per mile, or ... 3.33 miles/kWh. This might give me hope that with an efficient wheel set, the Leaf Plus could be brought up to 3.7 or higher. Moving to 16" rims with flat covers would help. Lowering the car an inch would help as well. Other inexpensive ideas?
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”