Diagnosis before applying TSBs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlainW

Hello, I live in the Bay Area, and today I went to my dealership in Sunnyvale, CA to have them apply NTB 19-056 "Lithium-ion battery will not quick charge" to my 2018 Leaf. The service consultant told me that it will cost $95 since they first need to diagnose and replicate the problem on their own. I politely declined. Is this just my dealership trying to make a few extra bucks? Or common practice?

Unless Nissan is allowing this in a last ditch effort to keep dealerships, they are trying to rip you off. Actually they are doing so in either case. This is an actual recall, IIRC, not a TSB, so any car brought to them should receive the fix.

TSBs generally are only applied for free while still under warranty for the applicable system, which the OP would still be.

Nissan Sunnyvale doing that is surprising. Their service dept has (had?) a good rep and in the past, I preferred going to them except they're quite far and going there in the morning (before lockdown) meant fighting traffic vs. a much closer dealer w/a lot less traffic to fight.

I can't speak to the norm for this TSB though.

Thanks for the replies - I called my service consultant back and he said that I misunderstood him - They need to put in a charge of $95 on the customer, but if there is indeed an issue covered under warranty (which is the case) then the customer would not need to pay the charge. Not sure why he couldn't be clearer in person earlier. So anyways, the car will stay there for the weekend to get this taken care of on Monday.

It seems that despite many sites calling it a "recall," Nissan is calling it a "voluntary service campaign." Since it is free of charge and covers all years of the Leaf, though, there is no justification for what they originally tried to do - the repair is free.

Despite the page title of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163708-9999.pdf, the rest of that doc just talks about bulletin. Last page has something about submitting a claim.

Update: I called my service advisor today and he said they can't replicate the problem so can't apply the TSB. Lots of back and forth for 10minutes, he was very polite but wouldn't budge.
Leafspy does show I am running 5SA2A so obviously I am losing my time. Will check with another dealership.

Argh!!! That sucks.

Can you maybe set up the scenario for them first? Start from nearly empty and get the battery hot from DC FCing. Run it low enough so that you should be at full charging power w/a cool battery then take it there to DC FC again while still hot?

Back