LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Buying a used leaf in 2020

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:23 pm

If I understand correctly BMS update Is an update from Nissan to "fix" the way the estimated remaining battery capacity is shown? Is that accurate? And how can I tell if the update was performed or not? I plan on getting an ODB and Leafspy to use during my hunt.
You understand correctly. Nissan (along with some of their fans here) hasn't admitted that the problem isn't just the BMS programming error, but there are indeed some 30kwh packs that are in fact degrading rapidly, and these are the ones likely to get replaced with 40kwh batteries from Nissan. Try calling their EV hotline with the VIN to find out if the update has been applied. Otherwise any 30kwh pack now showing all 12 capacity bars is suspect, because the update includes a BMS reset that temporarily restores any lost bars..
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

EVornottoEV

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:23 pm
If I understand correctly BMS update Is an update from Nissan to "fix" the way the estimated remaining battery capacity is shown? Is that accurate? And how can I tell if the update was performed or not? I plan on getting an ODB and Leafspy to use during my hunt.
You understand correctly. Nissan (along with some of their fans here) hasn't admitted that the problem isn't just the BMS programming error, but there are indeed some 30kwh packs that are in fact degrading rapidly, and these are the ones likely to get replaced with 40kwh batteries from Nissan. Try calling their EV hotline with the VIN to find out if the update has been applied. Otherwise any 30kwh pack now showing all 12 capacity bars is suspect, because the update includes a BMS reset that temporarily restores any lost bars..
Thanks for all the info. This sounds a bit like playing Russian roulette. I'm not sure if I'm up for undertaking this sort of risk if I can't verify if/when the BMS update took place. I may have to expand my search beyond Leafs, but I"m sure the others have issues as well.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:31 pm

Unless you are up for a gamble, trying to win a free battery upgrade, the LEAF isn't a good choice for you. Pick an EV with active thermal management instead, hot climates are like kryptonite for LEAF battery packs.
Last edited by alozzy on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:03 pm

EVornottoEV wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 am
Thanks for all the info. This sounds a bit like playing Russian roulette. I'm not sure if I'm up for undertaking this sort of risk if I can't verify if/when the BMS update took place. I may have to expand my search beyond Leafs, but I"m sure the others have issues as well.
Any Nissan dealer can tell you if and when the BMS update was performed on a particular vehicle.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

That sounds like an easy commute for an EV, and you should be in a great location for CA compliance cars coming off lease or otherwise being sold used.

I looked into some other models in that price arena when I was searching. Here are my findings and thoughts:

Ford Focus Electric. This was my first EV crush. It's stylish, comfortable, and well-equipped. Its range is on the short side (76 miles until
the 2017 model year (100 miles)), it's the heaviest of the group and has among the lowest energy efficiency. Its battery pack is located toward the back, reducing trunk space and affecting weight distribution. Level 3 quick charging wasn't available until the 2017 model year.

Kia Soul EV. I briefly considered it for its cargo and passenger space. Pricing is a little high and availability is low. Range is a respectable 93 miles.

Chevy Spark EV. They look a little quirky, but sound like a blast to drive. It was the fastest-accelerating non-Tesla EV to 60 mph for its time, and handles nimbly (an electric "hot-hatch"). They are compact, but have 4 doors and a versatile hatchback with folding rear seats. Level 3 quick-charging was an option (two additional terminals below the round charging plug). Like the base LEAF, level 2 charging is limited to 3.3 kW rather than 6.6 kW. They have the best energy efficiency in their class and have useful and eye-pleasing gauge displays. They have an electronic push-button parking brake and wi-fi but no CD player. The range estimate is 82 miles. Reviewers prefer the feel of the seats on the 1LT trim, but the feel of the steering wheel on the 2LT. Like the Fiat 500e, the Spark EV's tires are not intended to be rotated (wheels/tires are different sizes) and with its brisk performance, owners find themselves frequently replacing the front tires. 2015+ model years are preferred for the better-reputed battery cells from LG Chem. I found the Spark EV to have the highest insurance rates in the class, possibly due to its power numbers.

Fiat 500e. This one is all about style and driving experience. They are little rolling works of art and sound very fun to drive. They are faster to 30 mph than the Spark EV, due to their lower gearing. The range estimate is 84 miles and they can level 2 charge at 6.6 kW. No level 3 quick-charging is available. Although the hatchback and folding rear seats are versatile with cargo, there are only two doors and the rear seat is quite small. The criticized GPS that plugs into the top of the dash was replaced with an in-dash screen for 2016. The powertrain is from Bosch rather than Fiat, theoretically making it the most reliable Fiat product!
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

dcdisc
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 16 May 2018

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:39 am

Second the easy commute.Why not a 2011 or 2012 with a replacement pac w/11 or 12 bars.Local craigslist,s prices start @4k.I went this route from a forum owner.Very happy with the seats,ride,handling,range,acceleration.Also check cars.com,autotrader,true car,car guru,myev.Try to buy from private owner.Hopefully less bs and better price.

EVornottoEV

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:16 am

dcdisc wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:39 am
Second the easy commute.Why not a 2011 or 2012 with a replacement pac w/11 or 12 bars.Local craigslist,s prices start @4k.I went this route from a forum owner.Very happy with the seats,ride,handling,range,acceleration.Also check cars.com,autotrader,true car,car guru,myev.Try to buy from private owner.Hopefully less bs and better price.

I have definitely been trying to consider this option as well. No luck so far yet. Locally I’m finding 2011/2012 models with like 6-8 bars and they still want around $5k or more.

crimsona
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm

If you look for Nissan Leaf Replaced in San Diego Craigslist there's a 2011 with 12 bars for $5K. Otherwise LA only has a salvage one for 5.5K with a replaced battery

EVornottoEV

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:23 am

Question for anyone, do the new Leafs still have passive cooling for the batteries meaning they could still suffer in hotter climates, such as mine (Los Angeles)?

Seems to be some excellent deals on the new ones and then almost $10k in rebates from feds, state, and utility. I’d get the full $7500 from the feds.

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:38 am

EVornottoEV wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:23 am
Question for anyone, do the new Leafs still have passive cooling for the batteries meaning they could still suffer in hotter climates, such as mine (Los Angeles)?
Indeed...battery cooling is still passive on new LEAFs.

With all the new EVs available in CA, you may want to select one with battery cooling.
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”