webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Re: How can one tell battery health on 2018 and later Leaf.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:04 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:29 pm
My 2019 SL Plus has LED running lights, not sure about 2018's or other 2019 models. If factory running lights are not on a car you find and like, a couple of aftermarket LED lights mounted where fog lights would be should work. If the car has fog lights, a little rewiring could turn them into running lights (probably replace halogen bulbs with LED).

I actually switched mine to metric as a test when I determined the steps in the procedure. The dash looks ready for Canada with just a few button clicks. Also, it does not disrupt the trip information displays when switching back and forth.
Thanks Gerry. We have to bring it to Canadian tire anyway as they have the contract for canadian import certification. They know all the tricks to make it happen. Imported leafs are super common here.

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on wether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:27 pm

webeleafowners wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:
My 2019 SL Plus has LED running lights, not sure about 2018's or other 2019 models. If factory running lights are not on a car you find and like, a couple of aftermarket LED lights mounted where fog lights would be should work. If the car has fog lights, a little rewiring could turn them into running lights (probably replace halogen bulbs with LED).

I actually switched mine to metric as a test when I determined the steps in the procedure. The dash looks ready for Canada with just a few button clicks. Also, it does not disrupt the trip information displays when switching back and forth.
Thanks Gerry. We have to bring it to Canadian tire anyway as they have the contract for canadian import certification. They know all the tricks to make it happen. Imported leafs are super common here.

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on whether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{
I know you only have a one-car garage, but keep it--it can sit outside. Mine has been parked and charged outside all the time since I got it (other vehicles that don't get driven often stay inside). I followed your attempted purchase story of a Plus--you would have liked it (much more power and range). As much as I like my new one, I still think the Tesla was the best choice for your long distance highway plans. Some of my friends who have garage condo units adjacent to mine are from Canada and had to leave early this spring to get home to Edmonton before the border was closed. Those of us who are not snowbirds wondered if they would be able to come down this fall--sounds like maybe after the holidays.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

webeleafowners

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:02 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:27 pm
webeleafowners wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:

We have never owned a second generation leaf. This could be fun. :) We test drove a few a really liked them...enough to order one...but that is another story. All this depends on whether the border opens up by January first 2021. We will probably have a hard time letting it go...just like the first one. ;{
I know you only have a one-car garage, but keep it--it can sit outside. Mine has been parked and charged outside all the time since I got it (other vehicles that don't get driven often stay inside). I followed your attempted purchase story of a Plus--you would have liked it (much more power and range). As much as I like my new one, I still think the Tesla was the best choice for your long distance highway plans. Some of my friends who have garage condo units adjacent to mine are from Canada and had to leave early this spring to get home to Edmonton before the border was closed. Those of us who are not snowbirds wondered if they would be able to come down this fall--sounds like maybe after the holidays.
It’s tempting Gerry and we’ll have to see. But if we kept it, it would sit for weeks at a time and never move once we were back in Canada. The depreciation and insurance would be 3 or 4 grand a year. We tend to lean to the minimalist side and that would go against the grain. We would also realize a small profit by selling it as imported used 2018 or 2019.

We’ll see how it goes. The border has to open first.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 pm

If I had a Leaf and a Model 3 in Winter, it would be the Model 3 that would rarely get used.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:21 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 pm
If I had a Leaf and a Model 3 in Winter, it would be the Model 3 that would rarely get used.
I hear ya Leftie. But typically we are in a warm climate for winter. SoCal, Spain etc. This will be the first winter (in like 18 years) we will be in Canada for the whole winter. :) ...if the freakin border doesn’t open. :)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”