Tinted Windows

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryleaf

I just had the windows tinted on our 2019 SL Plus. I did 30% on the front door and 20% on the rear door and rear hatch windows. I got the ceramic tinting. It came out great!

I would attach some pictures if I could figure out how to do it.

Hi countryleaf, it's PrairieLEAF! :D

Congrats on the tint. I'm curious why darker on the front doors than the rear? Isn't it usually the other way around?

To post pictures, upload the picture somewhere and then paste its link using the "Img" tags about the compose box. I use Facebook for pictures, although their links expire periodically.

Yeah, the tint is darker on the rear than the front. 30% on the front, so the film lets 30% of the light through; 20% on the rear, so the film lets 20% of the light through. It is called Visible Light Transmission Percentage, how much light it lets through, not how much it blocks. So, the smaller the number, the darker it is.

I had a '66 Dodge Dart I tinted, 20% all around, I'd never do that again, way too dark for the front doors, very hard to see at night without rolling down the windows, which weren't power! My next car to tint was my '86 Fiat(Bertone) X-19 where I used 35% all around and was much happier. Guess I would have done 20% in the rears but the Bertone didn't have rear doors/windows :lol:

I had window tinting done for both my LEAFs to 50% front doors/20% rear, which is about the legal max allowed in Ohio. Have mixed feelings, find some driving tasks at night such as backing can be more difficult. But sometimes open the front windows if better vision is needed. It does noticeably cut the A/C demand when sunny, but also cuts the heat gain in the Winter.

rogersleaf said:
I had window tinting done for both my LEAFs to 50% front doors/20% rear, which is about the legal max allowed in Ohio. Have mixed feelings, find some driving tasks at night such as backing can be more difficult. But sometimes open the front windows if better vision is needed. It does noticeably cut the A/C demand when sunny, but also cuts the heat gain in the Winter.

The bold emphasis added above (by me) is more important for an EV than ICE...because the "cost" of heating an EV is so much greater than an ICE. I will always have tint (see sig), but it's not so dark that I don't get the thermal heating benefit of the sun in winter.

I have noticed my stock LEAF 2020 is MUCH brighter inside than any car I have owned. No comparison to my stock 2015 Pathfinder. Is there NO tint whatsoever from the factory?

I have to shield the screen with my hand to see the around view monitor sometimes.

Also the first warm day I have owned the car, 50F and sunny, my app reported 80-90F cabin temperature. Not looking forward to summer if that's the case. The app should allow you to open and close the windows too!

Back