maini
Delivery Date: 25 May 2014
Leaf Number: 339745

Hood Release seems stuck/broken

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am

I have this issue currently, not sure what happened but the cable moves freely and does not unlock or release the hood. I have tried everything I could find on this forum and the internet. I have tried going through the large door to no avail. Tried going below the car after removing the bottom cover again go go. I have the repair manuals but again nothing there.

The cable seems to be moving the mechanism a freely but either some spring is broken or something else has happened. I opened the hood just a month ago to fill the washer fluid and no issues.

Looking forward to some ideas to try as I don't know what else to do now.

Thanks in advance
2014 SV Cayenne Red with LED and QC port

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: Hood Release seems stuck/broken

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am

Hmm...you might try having someone press down on the hood while you pull the hood release, and try to pull up the hood while the release is tensioned.
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:07 am

One of the problems with the Leaf is the hood release. There is nothing wrong with it, but since you do not need regular checking under the hood, the latch starts to get hard to open from lack of use and rust.

First pull the inside lever until the hood pops up.

with a flashlight and a can of wd40, spray the hinge of the handle paddle latch. If you have to close the hood and repeat several times, you will get the hood open.

When you get the hood open, spray the hinges with wd40, oil, or silicone, or grease.. move parts until they move freely.

maini

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:36 am

PrairieLEAF wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 am
Hmm...you might try having someone press down on the hood while you pull the hood release, and try to pull up the hood while the release is tensioned.
I have tried that several times. Last night I sprayed some WD40 the best I could into the hood through a nozzle.

maini

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am

powersurge wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:07 am
One of the problems with the Leaf is the hood release. There is nothing wrong with it, but since you do not need regular checking under the hood, the latch starts to get hard to open from lack of use and rust.

First pull the inside lever until the hood pops up.

with a flashlight and a can of wd40, spray the hinge of the handle paddle latch. If you have to close the hood and repeat several times, you will get the hood open.

When you get the hood open, spray the hinges with wd40, oil, or silicone, or grease.. move parts until they move freely.
The wire seems loose although I can hear it moving something. The hood does not pop up at all. I haven't tried extreme measures yet but maybe I do that next.

maini

Re: Hood Release seems stuck/broken - FIXED!!

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Ok so I fixed the issue. I had to go through the charging port area. Remove the plastic shroud there, this was bait complicated and I damaged it a bit, but later on I saw that if you know the location of the clips etc it can be pulled out.
Then remove that small light in the charging port area, through that hole shine a torch and locate the main clip from the hood which will be the same color as your car. Get a long screw driver and position it at the base of the Clip. Take a rubber mallet and give it a big blow and the hood popped up.

THE PROBLEM was that the hood release cable had somehow jumped out of its notch which holds the cable sheath itself. So even though the cable was fine and correctly connected it wasn't effective. Maybe if I had removed the cable from inside the car and pulled only the cable really hard maybe it would have popped the hood but I wasn't sure because I did try that to some extent. Anyways I use a cable Tie to tie it up the sheath in that spot and it should never ever jump out of its location unless the cable tie it cut or broken.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future. I will try to load some images.

Gusy12
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 2013

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:48 am

The same thing just happened to me. I have a MOT on Friday and was going over the car and the latch inside the car would not open the hood. The latch just pulled up and clicked without opening the hood. So I read your post, seen the latch mechanism next to the light in the charging port, got a screw driver and pushed it against the white plastic on the latch mechanism to move it to the side and this opened the hood. Then got some WD-40 and sprayed a lot of it on the metal latch cleaning off the excess gunge/oil with wipes. Once it was nice and clean, the hood opened no problem.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:36 am

Then got some WD-40 and sprayed a lot of it on the metal latch cleaning off the excess gunge/oil with wipes.
I suggest you lubricate the mechanism with clean oil or some kind of grease, as WD-40 leaves a sticky residue as it dries - it is a poor lubricant for the long term.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”