QCs. How many are too many?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjb

I looked at several used Leafs before purchasing this weekend. I considered:

1. 2017, 27k mi, 87 SOH
2. 2018, 7k mi, 94 SOH
3. 2018, 15k mi, 93 SOH
4. 2019, 10k mi, 94 SOH

Leafspy showed QCs in the single digits for all vehicles, except #3 showed 48 QCs!

As things unfolded, #3 had the best combo of color, features, price and was factory “certified”. I ended up purchasing it despite its many QCs because the SOH didn’t seem adversely affected at all. It was essentially the SAME SOH as the other 2nd Gens I considered.

I would imagine that Nissan has way too much invested in warranties and infrastructure to partner with EVgo (free QC charging) if QCs were horrible for your Leaf, right?

The consensus seems to be (high) temperatures, mileage and age are the biggest factors impacting battery life. Is the jury still out on quick charging?

What do you think? Is nearly 50 QCs too many? Should I avoid them like the plague now?

Go by the SOH (unless suspiciously near 100%) rather than the QC count. Two in a row on a hot day would possibly be worse than 50 single QCs on separate, cooler days.

jlv said:
Cjb said:
What do you think? Is nearly 50 QCs too many? Should I avoid them like the plague now?
Its so sad that things like this still need to be asked about a LEAF.

Hi Jlv. Why is it sad? Can you expand on your comment? Thanks.

Oilpan4 said:
Any chance that 2019 is a leaf plus with the big battery?

Darn I wish! No, didn't have a lot to spend and really wanted to purchase instead of lease. The 40kWh Leafs now coming of lease were hitting a sweet spot for my commuting needs and budget. Maybe the next one!

Your car should be fine. The SOH number is good so don't worry about the 48 QC's. One DCQC every few days is no issue. Multiple QC's close together will heat the battery and contribute to deterioration, but I never worried about an occasional DCQC. The 48 DCQC's on your car probably means the original driver used the Nissan NCTC (no charge to charge) program periodically like I did with my 2015.

LeftieBiker said:
Go by the SOH (unless suspiciously near 100%) rather than the QC count.
This.

OP: Avoid QC when you can, use it when needed. DO NOT use QC because it is free or cheap (e.g. through the now discontinued Nissan promotion.) That is penny wise and pound foolish.

Oilpan4 said:
Those newer 40kwh batteries like to cook when quick charged.

Really? What makes the 40 fundamentally different than the (prior) 30 or (newer) 62 versions? I guess I thought the battery container (?) was essentially the same just with more or less batteries inside. From what I’ve read, none have thermal management. Have you heard or read something different about the 40kWh?

That said, I think my Leaf had a “few too many drinks at the party” early on, so we’re going to lay low on the QCs for a while!

Cjb said:
Oilpan4 said:

Really? What makes the 40 fundamentally different than the (prior) 30 or (newer) 62 versions? I guess I thought the battery container (?) was essentially the same just with more or less batteries inside. From what I’ve read, none have thermal management. Have you heard or read something different about the 40kWh?

That said, I think my Leaf had a “few too many drinks at the party” early on, so we’re going to lay low on the QCs for a while!

They crammed 40kwh into a container that originally only held 24kwh.
You can quick charge just don't let it go above 7 temperature bars and don't charge to 100%.

Oilpan4 said:
Cjb said:
Oilpan4 said:

They crammed 40kwh into a container that originally only held 24kwh.
You can quick charge just don't let it go above 7 temperature bars and don't charge to 100%.

That sounds like good advice, Thanks!

Cjb said:
I looked at several used Leafs before purchasing this weekend. I considered:

1. 2017, 27k mi, 87 SOH
2. 2018, 7k mi, 94 SOH
3. 2018, 15k mi, 93 SOH
4. 2019, 10k mi, 94 SOH

Leafspy showed QCs in the single digits for all vehicles, except #3 showed 48 QCs!

As things unfolded, #3 had the best combo of color, features, price and was factory “certified”. I ended up purchasing it despite its many QCs because the SOH didn’t seem adversely affected at all. It was essentially the SAME SOH as the other 2nd Gens I considered.

I would imagine that Nissan has way too much invested in warranties and infrastructure to partner with EVgo (free QC charging) if QCs were horrible for your Leaf, right?

The consensus seems to be (high) temperatures, mileage and age are the biggest factors impacting battery life. Is the jury still out on quick charging?

Raw numbers mean nothing. 480 DC sessions heating the pack to no more than 95º would likely do less damage than a half dozen done in one day baking the pack to 125º plus. Ending SOC plays a big part as well. You would need a lot more data. I would take #1 off the list simply due to insufficient range when the car was new. You "could" qualify for a warranty exchange were you to increase the degradation rate a bit but that is a dicey proposition and requires some effort on your part not to mention a woeful range for likely a year or more.

FYI; Nissan did partner with EVgo... I got at least a few thousand kwh free from them

Back