leafmaple

Real life figures of vampire drain in 2018 Leaf

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:50 am

I am looking for someone that has real experience with having a Nissan Leaf outdoors when the temperature is around 0C/32F and lower. How long does it take before they need to charge?
I am asking this because I am thinking of buying a used Nissan Leaf SL (~35k km/22k miles) in Canada and I do not have access to charging in my building and the parking is an above ground multi-story covered parking garage. I (and many others probably) work a lot from home and don't need to drive every day. There are plenty of public level 2 and level 3 chargers in my part of the city just not where I can park.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Real life figures of vampire drain in 2018 Leaf

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:47 am

That question has more than one answer. If the car in question is a 2013, then it may be fine for months (unless the battery heater activates) or it may have a too-high vampire drain on the 12 volt accessory battery- especially if it had the telematics unit 2G to 3G upgrade. If the car is a 2014 or newer, then it will likely be fine - again, unless the battery heater comes on, which happens when the battery temp (not the air temp) reaches about 8F. If the battery heater comes on and stays on in Frigid weather, then it can use up to about 30% charge per 24 hours, if I remember correctly.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Dala
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Since you wrote 2018 in the title it is easier to answer. The 2018 has an excellent charging logic for the 12V battery, and since you said 0*C it won't trigger battery heating (that is only when it goes below -17*C). The car should be able to stand for months unplugged at 0*C.

LeftieBiker

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Since you wrote 2018 in the title it is easier to answer.
Heh! Yes, indeed. I have to stop responding to posts before I'm awake.
The 2018 has an excellent charging logic for the 12V battery
Here we disagree, as it depends on how the car is used. Mine isn't driven very much, and I've seen the accessory battery as low as 12.25 volts at rest. I don't think a 2018 accessory battery will actually go dead, but I'd advise to charge it up once in a while if the car isn't used much.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Baltneu
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 pm
Since you wrote 2018 in the title it is easier to answer.
Heh! Yes, indeed. I have to stop responding to posts before I'm awake.
The 2018 has an excellent charging logic for the 12V battery
Here we disagree, as it depends on how the car is used. Mine isn't driven very much, and I've seen the accessory battery as low as 12.25 volts at rest. I don't think a 2018 accessory battery will actually go dead, but I'd advise to charge it up once in a while if the car isn't used much.
Really? On my 2018 I sometimes see one of the blue lights flash for a while, I am told that the traction battery is charging the 12v battery. So why the need to separately charge the 12v battery?
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

LeftieBiker

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 am

On my 2018 I sometimes see one of the blue lights flash for a while, I am told that the traction battery is charging the 12v battery. So why the need to separately charge the 12v battery?
Nissan's charging algorithm for the Leaf has always been a little less than perfect - often a lot less, depending on how the car is driven. Infrequent, mainly short trips seem to contribute to a low accessory battery. You can also drain the accessory battery by leaving the car plugged in for a long time (days, usually) after charging has stopped. If you drive the car a lot, this isn't likely to be a problem, except maybe for some 2013 Leafs. If you drive it once or twice a week, and don't drive it for far or long, then you may want to top off the accessory battery at least once a month, with an external charger/maintainer, or at least check the resting voltage of that little battery. If it becomes an issue, then replacing the OEM 12 volt battery with a higher capacity AGM battery usually solves the problem. Why? Partly because those batteries are more forgiving, and the higher capacity carries the battery over the low-charge periods. But it also seems that higher capacity batteries just charge better in the Leaf, suggesting that it was originally programmed for a different type and capacity battery, and that was never changed when they instead went with cheap starting type batteries.
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”