When is Nissan Connect Carwings Going away, i.e., 3G

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

I upgraded for free to 3G a few years ago, since 2G network yeas going away back then (now gone). It appears 3G is now going to go away by end of 2022. So two years or so.

Does anyone know if our Car Wings/ Connect will go away with the retirement of 3G. Or were the new boxes 4G LTE as well or 3G with HD which may still work on a 4g network? ANYONE KNOW?

Not worried but just curious. I like the connect but frankly it is a little glitchy. I have had from time to time had to reset the car (power down the telematics) or clean out the phone App's cache or do both to restore it.

The text messages reminding me it is not plugged in or charging stopped are not really critical. I have never used it to turn on AC or Heat but that is cool you can... The stats are fun but not that fun. Don't really care anymore. So really it is a yawn. The car (2015 SV, Silver, very good condition, 30K miles, has 11 bars about 80% capacity) is not worth much according to used price list.... I am going to keep it as a second car for awhile (or sell it?). So I have 2 years it looks like. However if the

We plan on keeping the 2020 if it works out, so not being able to access climate control remotely would be a real Bummer. I got the text messages for a while with the 2013, before 2G ended, but considered them as much an annoyance as a help.

alozzy said:
https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

Thank you. Begs the question what is Nissan going to do? And does our 3G support HD voice or does it need to. I guess worst case is Feb 2022 we are done. Nissan is not under any obligation to do anything on a 7 yr old LEAF. At least it was free service while it lasted.

"To bring you faster speeds and new features, we have to evolve America’s best 1 and also fastest 2 network. One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network."

gmcjetpilot said:
Thank you. Begs the question what is Nissan going to do? And does our 3G support HD voice or does it need to. I guess worst case is Feb 2022 we are done. Nissan is not under any obligation to do anything on a 7 yr old LEAF. At least it was free service while it lasted.

"To bring you faster speeds and new features, we have to evolve America’s best 1 and also fastest 2 network. One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network."
"does our 3G support HD voice" -- the answer is it absolutely does not.

"HD Voice" is VoLTE (Voice over LTE) and only applies to 4G/LTE devices. The statement from AT&T is poorly written. Read it as:
(3G devices) and (4G wireless devices that don't support HD voice) will no longer work on our network.

AT&T also says:

Talk and data services won’t work for wireless phones and devices that don’t support at least 4G LTE and HD Voice

So HSPA connectivity will no longer work after the cutoff date

There's been a few threads on this topic (one of them started by me) that have all "come and gone"; at some point we're going to need a sticky because this will be then next big "TCU upgrade" story. One thing I know for sure: all Gen 1 Leafs that required the 2G->3G modem upgrade will require a similar 3G->4G modem upgrade by 2022 (in the US).

Stanton said:
There's been a few threads on this topic (one of them started by me) that have all "come and gone"; at some point we're going to need a sticky because this will be then next big "TCU upgrade" story. One thing I know for sure: all Gen 1 Leafs that required the 2G->3G modem upgrade will require a similar 3G->4G modem upgrade by 2022 (in the US).

Seems really unlikely that Nissan will make available an upgraded TCU on older model LEAFs, especially not an affordable one. Their TCU design is stupid anyways...

They should have used an off the shelf daughter card, like those found in cell phones, and provided a SIM card or the option to use your own SIM. Also, they could easily incorporate Wifi connectivity, so that you can choose to connect to your home Wifi or a cell phone hotspot as an alternative to a dedicated 3g or 4g data plan.

alozzy said:
Seems really unlikely that Nissan will make available an upgraded TCU on older model LEAFs, especially not an affordable one. Their TCU design is stupid anyways...

They should have used an off the shelf daughter card, like those found in cell phones, and provided a SIM card or the option to use your own SIM. Also, they could easily incorporate Wifi connectivity, so that you can choose to connect to your home Wifi or a cell phone hotspot as an alternative to a dedicated 3g or 4g data plan.

I'm going to stick to the facts, because I'm not sure you understand how the technology works (it's basically IoT/telematics):
1) Their TCU design was good for it's time...and I believe they will offer a 4G upgrade for the Gen 1 Leaf as it will share components/design elements with the Gen 2 Leaf (EVconnect is definitely not going away)
2) WiFi connectivity is a huge security risk, which is why they still don't offer that option even today
3) Even if the TCU/daughter card was easily accessible (and it's not), there would be no way for Nissan to control/enable service compatibility with a user-supplied SIM card; you can't even do that with a phone (without carrier intervention).

Stanton said:
jlv said:
Stanton said:
2) WiFi connectivity is a huge security risk, which is why they still don't offer that option even today
What is the "huge security risk"?

Do you want someone hacking into your Leaf?

They can already remorely hack into the power steering, traction control, etc. If the car is communicating with an encrypted link at home, with the WiFi off at other times, there isn't a big risk.

Stanton said:
alozzy said:

I'm going to stick to the facts, because I'm not sure you understand how the technology works (it's basically IoT/telematics):
1) Their TCU design was good for it's time...and I believe they will offer a 4G upgrade for the Gen 1 Leaf as it will share components/design elements with the Gen 2 Leaf (EVconnect is definitely not going away)
3) Even if the TCU/daughter card was easily accessible (and it's not), there would be no way for Nissan to control/enable service compatibility with a user-supplied SIM card; you can't even do that with a phone (without carrier intervention).

The TCU has always been a step behind with respect to the connectivity. 2G became prevalent in the mid 90s, 3g in 2001/2002, 4g in 2010 or thereabouts.

Why do you think 2g/3g are inherently more secure than Wifi? AES256 encrypted Wifi is pretty secure. They could also use mutual certificate authentication, for even better security

A modular wireless radio card could be easily located in a more accessible location. The current location of the TCU is irrelevant.

Please explain what you mean by this:

"there would be no way for Nissan to control/enable service compatibility with a user-supplied SIM card; you can't even do that with a phone"

The SIM is activated by the cell provider and, once activated, should just work. Why would Nissan need to be involved in that process? If they did OTA updates, then I could see your point - but they don't...

Stanton said:
jlv said:
Stanton said:
What is the "huge security risk"?

Do you want someone hacking into your Leaf?
Again, what is the "huge security risk" of the car communicating over WiFi? Saying someone can "hack into the car" is not saying at all what the security risk is.

The telemetrics using WiFi to access the Internet instead of the 3G radio will not result in someone "hacking into your LEAF".

I'm not going to get into a debate over the technical aspects of telematics: the fact is, the Leaf will continue to operate over cellular (not WiFi)...which is a very good thing. The service provider SIM card is only half of the equation: if they don't want/have the device authorized to operate on their network...then it doesn't matter what the device manufacturer wants/thinks.
I will continue to monitor this thread for news of a "4G TCU upgrade" for the Leaf.

I'm not going to get into a debate over the technical aspects of telematics: the fact is, the Leaf will continue to operate over cellular (not WiFi)...which is a very good thing

Actually, it's a very annoying, proprietary thing that the whole industry does. As a consumer, I want the flexibility to use my own SIM or Wifi if I choose.

The way things are now (proprietary TCU and zero control over when the car can communicate out), it's just a matter of time before car manufacturers team up with advertisers to track your whereabouts, where you like to shop and eat, and then target you with ads on your car's console.

At least with my own SIM or Wifi, I could disconnect the car at my own discretion.

Stanton said:
I'm not going to get into a debate over the technical aspects of telematics
I'm not asking for a debate. You claimed two things ("WiFi connectivity is a huge security risk, which is why they still don't offer that option even today") and I asked you to back it up. And you can't.

LeftieBiker said:
In 2022 we will have a less than three year old Leaf - it will still be under lease. If we lose all remote access I'm going to be angry.
Be ready to use your anger control and any "happy place" then... I find a good strong drink calms me down. Ha ha.

alozzy said:
I'm not going to get into a debate over the technical aspects of telematics: the fact is, the Leaf will continue to operate over cellular (not WiFi)...which is a very good thing
........ very annoying, proprietary thing that the whole industry does. As a consumer, I want the flexibility to use my own SIM or Wifi if I choose.

........it's just a matter of time before car manufacturers team up with advertisers to track your whereabouts, where you like to shop and eat, and then target you with ads on your car's console.

At least with my own SIM or Wifi, I could disconnect the car at my own discretion.
I got bad news for you... They absolutely know where you, what you buy and what you view on the WWW.... Your phone is tattling on you. Even if you turn off GPS and other features, once you reconnect it will have that info in memory and download it. Your WWW on line life is 100% known. Smart TV or DVR? They know what you view. Use a credit card? Yep it is all there. We are George Orwell 1984.... We are seeing the ministry of truth and media and tech companies monitor and censor what we can know, think and say....

alozzy said:

But then how would they be able to charge you $12/month for the basic Connect plan after the 3 year trial runs out?

This is the same nonsense we put up with with GPS asset trackers for pets, bikes, cars etc. Rather than grab your own prepaid SIM that costs you $2/month, you get to pay a $10-20/month subscription fee for the "tracking service".

Back