LeafSpy and VSP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBCLeaf

I am able to connect LeafSpy Pro to my 2020 S plus and toggle drive sounds and reverse beeps, but I cannot figure out how to get rid of the drive sound that plays while the car is stopped or in neutral. Am I missing something or that's just not possible yet?

Answered my own question: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=30982

It appears it's mandated that pedestrians are warned that your car isn't moving for some reason.

Doesn't explain why it's also on in N.

After driving electric cars with noisemakers for over 9 years I can tell you that nobody listens to the noisemakers anyway (they don't listen to regular gas cars either). They continue walking down the center of the parking lane while I'm right behind them for a good amount of time before noticing. I'm no better. I've been caught by total surprise walking alongside the railroad tracks by a 10,000-ton freight train that I didn't hear until it was next to me.

I didn't much care for the driving sound of the Leaf and thought it seemed a bit loud, but didn't think too much of it until the other day when I pulled up to a friend's house and he came outside before I could even let him know I was there because he could hear the noisemaker inside the house. That's too loud. I do not want to be driving around the neighborhood making everyone listen to my "spaceship" soundtrack inside their houses. It was also kind of dangerous because I found myself wanting to drive faster to get it to shut up. In my car it doesn't go away until about 30 mph, so I was driving faster than I'd like to on small residential streets just to avoid the noise.

It's one of those things that seems like common sense, but it actually turns out not to be the case. Human nature is such that people lose situational awareness and there's no possible way to mandate they stop doing that.

If you hit someone with your car, noisemaker or no noisemaker, you are extremely likely to get sued and it won't get thrown out right away. Even if you prevail in the end you will have to go through a lot of trouble and expenses.

I can't claim to have enough data to say conclusively whether noisemakers increase pedestrian safety or not, but I can guarantee they don't shield you from lawsuits and in my personal experience nobody who's already spaced out in traffic lanes notices them anyway. Humans filter out familiar noises. You could make the car play an air raid siren when driving, and after a year of becoming familiar with cars playing air raid sirens people would tune it out.

That's all I'm saying.

I had a 2018 SV, a 2019 SL and now a 2020 SL.

The 2020 noise is MUCH louder and more annoying. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. It cannot be adjusted or shut off in LeafSpy in the 2020.

Also EV owners manual states it goes away at 20 MPH when accelerating and comes back on at 16 MPH when slowing down. NO SO WITH MINE. The manual lies. It makes noise until 26 MPH.

This is annoying because I drive speed limit of 25 MPH in my residential neighborhood so it makes noise all the time. I now find myself accelerating to 30 MPH to silence the noise and then slow down to 25 MPH.

I asked my dealer to see if they could set it to owner manual speeds of 20/16 instead of 26/20 and was told they are not allowed to do anything to modify it due to liability. The service writer thought the noise was hung up brake caliper when he drove it back to the service bay.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm familiar with it. We also have a 2020. It took me about three rides to get used to the 'space scooter' sound.

It's not the sound that's so annoying, it's the volume. Drive with your windows down (late at night if it's normally a loud city). You will hear the sound echoing off of houses and everything. It's enough that I'm afraid it's waking people up when I go to work at 5:00 am. My fears were confirmed when my friend knew of my arrival inside his house just by that sound (and that was during the day when ambient noise levels are higher). It's like driving around an ice cream truck in the middle of the night, but instead of playing Turkey in the Straw it's playing the space car sound. I never thought such a thing with any of my other vehicles with a noisemaker. It's made far worse by the fact that it doesn't shut off until you break the speed limit on residential streets, which is far beyond the legal requirement.

Flyct said:

The 2020 noise is MUCH louder and more annoying. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. It cannot be adjusted or shut off in LeafSpy in the 2020.

You can shut off the sound that plays while you are driving, just not the sound that plays when you are stopped.

SBCLeaf said:
Flyct said:

You can shut off the sound that plays while you are driving, just not the sound that plays when you are stopped.

How do you do that? According to LeafSpy changing any VSP settings on my 2020 SL plus is NOT SUPPORTED

uBoIRCal.jpg

Flyct said:
How do you do that? According to LeafSpy changing any VSP settings on my 2020 SL plus is NOT SUPPORTED

Interesting. I am able to disable them in my 2020 S plus.

LeftieBiker said:
Flyct, are you using LeafSpy Pro?

Yes sir,

LeafSpy Pro. Current version V1.7.44.10en

Just tried it on my iPad instead of my iPhone and I get same results. I click on READ and get Not Supported.

All other service screen functions allow changes fine like headlights, Door unlock settings etc.

In the past, with my 2015, 2018:and 2019 VSP changes were possible with LeafSpy.

I’m stumped.

Now I'm the sad one. The only two that work on my app are drive sound and reverse. Everything else doesn't work.

Back